1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter@Final Round XVII: [March 14-16, 2014] Atlanta, GA "FINAL ROUND XVII"

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by BLACKSTAR, Nov 4, 2013.

1. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    I'm outside the Grand Salon now we can play a few in the hall

2. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    I just rolled in here to see that our room is infested with Marvel players :mad:

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  3. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    So u made it b4 12 huh? lol good 4 u.

ToyDingo likes this.
  4. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    The stream equipment is screwing up royally unfortunately, so it will be uploaded recorded matches similar to last year

5. Arjay

Arjay Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Arjay9975
    Well. The main tourney is over, and we all had a good time playing. Turnout wasn't as big as last year (12 players), but it was a good time regardless. Much obliged to Blackstar for running the tourney, and to Gaming Arcadia for sponsoring. Also, good to meet face to face with the folks from here.

BlueLink likes this.
  6. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Alright, time to make the obligitory post-tourney...uh...post. :p

First and foremost, I have to apologize. No bones about it, the VF touney stream was a blowup. I tried 4G and wifi from 2 different ISPs and the venue internet, and nothing worked. It was pretty much out of my hands at that point, but I apologize none-the-less. Equipment issues screwed up the sound as well, delaying it badly. BTW, this is the same exact equipment I use to stream RAW every week since October, not to mention the countless other streams and videos I made using it in the past two years. In fact the entire reason for me even running these streams and creating content was in preperation for this tournament, but unfortunately not everything went as I had planned.

But most of all, I apologize to all those who took time out to try and check out the stream and look for VF action at Final Round -- I am solely responsible.

The tournament itself had low turnout compared to last year, but we had fun regardless, and out of the ones that did compete, 2/3rds of the players walked out with cash profit. Ryan Hart won a over $200 from winning the tournament alone, as well as $250 for winning the Friday Night RAW challenge -- congratulations to him. 7th and 8th made a $10 profit each.

Despite the burning fires of the stream situation, the players here that showed up were all appreciative, some even surprised of seeing Virtua Fighter in a tournament like Final Round. Laughing and joking was abound, and the tournament was fun. Most of all, I want to thank them, as despite all of the issues, they were all focused on having fun playing VF and little else fazed them. I'm truly indebted to you guys.

Bracket results -- https://twitter.com/oBLACKSTARo/status/444614323260772352/photo/1

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    BlueLink, G0d3L, Shag and 6 others like this.
  7. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    @ BLACKSTAR that sucks that it couldn't be streamed. l hate that VF gets no attention. skull girls over FS? why?........

8. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Tourney was crazy fun. It was disappointing that the turnout was low, but for those of us that were there, it was good times and lots of laughs.

It was awesome to meet a few of you face-to-face for once. Much respect to @BLACKSTAR for putting it all together.

I can't wait to meet more of you at other offline events. Here's hoping for a bigger turnout at FR18 however...

BLACKSTAR and Ellis like this.
  9. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Who the hell is this Hyena person that you guys got blown up by?

Jacko likes this.
  10. Jacko

Jacko Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JackoRCB
    Beat me to the question. He used Sarah as well...

Kamais_Ookin likes this.
  11. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

Sorry I couldn't go guys, had something come up. : (

Just know that I bodied everyone in spirit!

Sozos, BLACKSTAR and Negative_Nanzy like this.
  12. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

So did you record the matches for the archive? I don't really know how streaming works. I was wondering if you could save the matches on your computer or something

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  13. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I ended up recording matches in the same manner as I did last year, individual matches. The sound is really delayed in them unfortunately. I'll start to put them up when I make it back home.

Arjay, G0d3L and ToyDingo like this.
  14. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Hyena is a Alabama Sarah player, he's pretty good, he also plays Tekken.

In fact, there were like 3 VF players from Alabama, and they were all legit. I was surprised since it's pretty much just me and Brodi left in GA

Shag likes this.
  15. Arjay

Arjay Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Arjay9975
    Man, that trophy looks good. Congrats goes out to Ryan Hart. Hope we all get another chance to play with him in VF.

Ryan Hart a.jpg

MDSPrime, Sozos, ExzetyXat1 and 4 others like this.
  16. ghabstopr

ghabstopr Member

PSN:
    ghabstopr
    A big thanks to everyone who showed up and made VF happen and played this year. I rarely get the chance to play it these days (as I'm sure my rusty ass Akira proved, haha) and it was great to get some matches in over the weekend.

17. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I'm really sorry I didn't do this earlier, but I gotta do it because you guys really really deserve it.

I wanna take the time out to highlight and thank all of the VF fans that took the time and came out to my tourney and support VF. It wasn't the best tournament I ran, but it was still alot of fun, being one of the rare times we can actually get together and play dat offline VF (REAL VF, not that garbage, latency-filled, fraudulent online 'VF' western players seem to love to cling to). Thank you guys that came back again this year to support the effort, such as BrodiMAN, BlueLink, and Ryan Hart; I really appreciate it. I was really happy and surprised to see players from largely underrepresented regions, like Alabama, DC and not to mention Brazil of course, come all the way out to Georgia to support VF and Final Round as a whole. I'm really sorry I didn't get more casuals with you guys, considering that would likely be the last time we got to play each other offline, but I hope we can play again soon.

@Arjay
    @EmperorPaine
    @Negative_Nanzy
    @daRockReaper
    @ToyDingo
    @ghabstopr
    @mkl
    @BlueLink
    and all of the other guys that aren't on VFDC but came through and showed some VF love.

Big shoutouts to @Party Wolf for supporting the effort and donating $10 to the prize pot!

I can't thank you guys enough, you all did me a big favor for coming through and making the tournament fun.

18. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Also to all you Alabama VFers, I have family in Alabama, so if you guys ever have a time where you might get together and play VF, I'd seriously like to come through and play you guys

ToyDingo likes this.
  19. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Alright, I need advice from the players that attended.

I mentioned earlier that this tourney wasn't perfect and had problems; much of it was compounded because of time constraints (this was out of my hands -- it had more to do with the Final Round staff than myself, but I digress. what's done is done.).

That being said, if another VF tournament happens at the next Final Round, would you mind the tournament starting at a later time? 4pm? 5pm? 6pm? Friday was pretty much the only option I was given for the available date of the tournament by the way. What do you guys think?

BlueLink and ToyDingo like this.
  20. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    For me personally, if the tourney is going to continue to be on Fridays, I'm going to need it to start later.

I've only attended the last 2 FRs, but for each one I've had to do a tactical roll out of my office and pray I don't get spotted by the guards who are trained to shoot-on-sight. I wouldn't be upset with a 6PM start time.

I know it's tough to schedule all of this with other games going on and players coming in and out at a steady pace. Yet, noon on a Friday has been logistically nightmarish. Atleast it has for me.

Otherwise, I'm ok with how things have been going. Good job dude...

BLACKSTAR likes this.