1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter popularity... Relaunch?

Discussion in 'General' started by sealion, Apr 1, 2009.

1. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

All VF really needs to do is be a lot flashier (it can do this without sacrificing depth, e.g. VF5R), add a story mode (a very good one, considering they haven't touched things like character cutscenes and endings since VF began), and a tutorial (covering everything about the game system at least. Tactics advice is recommended but not required).

That's it, really.

2. dapheenom

dapheenom Well-Known Member

Either you can't read or you don't give a shit. I said sell more copies. I keep talking about the money SEGA leaves on the table by not giving a fuck about the console market. Trying to figure out why SEGA makes any of it's business decisions is almost as dumb as trying to justify them. So I don't. I just post what they should do to make more money, and continuing to only be concerned about the Japanese arcade ain't it.

I'm done. You should reply back with something about how you aren't saying SEGA shouldn't change things, and how they should just focus on the arcade more (THE SAME THING THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR 15 YEARS). That'll show me.

3. sealion

sealion Member

Ok next time you visit your local gaming store or main chain ask someone if they played VF4EVO. A greatest hits game only needs only needs half of that million it sold to become a greatest hits game. Winning awards doesnt mean the game has hit mainstream recognition (VF always gets good critic recognition).

Speaking of a million copies sold this was still during PS2 holding the entire market days. They didnt have to split the sales via cross platform games.

That said I love VF but the first thing we need to admit is this boat has a problem.

Dapheenom: agreed Sega is trying to make the majority of its cash via arcades. Thats fine and dandy for Japan but like you said they are missing consoles. They are also missing the fact the US arcades are not in the golden age anymore (fact not fiction).

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

LOL

Why would you ask the people at the checkouts about what games they've played?

I got to try this next time I go to TESCO's, I bet the people at the checkouts there are the most hardcore gamers ever.

5. sealion

sealion Member

Good point Beligerent it is strange for most just not for me because Ive worked retail forever. Microplay, Bestbuy, Babbabages (before and after gamestop), and Gamezone. For me asking people about what they like or why or what they are interested in is like second nature.

Trust me in all the stores Ive been in Virtua Fighter is one of the least talked about titles.

6. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

This thread needs less INTERNET BUSINESSPEOPLE (whose day jobs are INTERNET TOUGHGUYS, apparently) and more actual suggestions. So here's mine!

make FV3, problem solved

7. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA

8. FlyMike

FlyMike Well-Known Member

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    5R is plenty enough flashy. Anymore and it loses it's identity. (I say this as a Tekken player.)

VF at its core, the gameplay, customizations, moves, are just fine. But we all know they need to give the characters more...personality. I mean, bland is ok for blank slate characters that people are going to personalize anyway. But the sayings and voices are borderline lame. Everytime I play or see a Jacky or Lion match it pains me. Because they have such dynamic fighting styles but such lame personas. At least get different voice actors for god's sakes! And Lion needs to man up. Eileen should be the only child in the series. Nessa has some blah stuff too. I don't too much mind Sarah talking like an old MILF woman, Wolf being so kosher, and Jeff becoming braindead. Brad is near perfect. The "foreign" characters are solid because they can be saying, "Get ready for a knuckle-sandwich mister!" and it'd be fine because I dont know what they're saying anyway.

Story....ah, it wouldnt really matter so much if they actually didn't TRY to have one. But they do. And it sucks. The whole J6 concept can be pretty cool if done right, especially since the inclusion of Jean. I never much thought of "endings" for the characters but I guess that could please more people. Also, why is Akira the poster boy everytime yet he gets his ass kicked nearly every tournament and obviously isn't the main chara?

Finally, maybe I'll get flamed, but I would identify the series under the "VF" name from now on, in media, packaging etc. The "Virtua" just doesn't cut it nowadays. We knew it was threw on there during the days when 3D fighting was being introduced. But it just sounds so generic, like calling GG/KOF/2Ds "Sprite Fighter". The title "VF" suits because it is identifiable, recognizable, and familiar because it has always been used as an abreviation. Think about it....."VF6". Nothing more nothing less.

Those are my thoughts.

9. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    Coming from a tekken background... I think most ppl dont play VF as much as Tekken or SC4 is because of the depth.. You actually have to research online about ur characters.. and learn learn.. etc.. MOst ppl do not wanna do that... I didnt when i first picked up VF.. It took me 3 attempts to try to like VF before i did..lol..I always respected the game but...just never really understand it as i do now..(which is still very little). Neways, the common thing that i hear from tekken dr/community players why they dont play it is...
    besides the depth.
    1)applying OKI, is harder to apply and its hard to pick up. unlike tekken.. sometimes they dont even realize OKI exists. Even if u do apply oki, like Jacky's bf KG after he wakes up and tech rolls.. its a very small hit box... or u have to be soo precise.. TEKKEN okizeme, is easy to execute... apply.. they also say that it doesnt make sense.. because, some attacks dont hit while ur on ground, like evrything hits in tekken or sc4 while their on the ground... IN VF, attacks that look like they should hit (ex lows) dont hit...
    2) punishing characters.. U have to know the frame data in VF. VF rewards knowledge, Tekken more technical.. its a very hard to pick up and have fun right away.. u have to be patient. like i said b4 it took me 3 tries to get into this game. In tekken, its kinda obvious how to punish maybe cus of the push back.. or the pause in between. i duno what it is.. but u can just feel it.. ( ex. kazuya 112 to punish alot of moves).. vf, u dont really know how to punish.. cus on block the animation looks the same..

I like VF way better than tekken now.. but it took a long time for me to get to this point.. and this is what i hear from tekken players, why they dont wanna play VF... I hope one day, VF takes over the tekken community cause the tekken community has a lot of solid players tyhat have the potential to be great vf players.. n if VF community wants to grow they should take some from the tekken community... its way to hard for someone without 3d fighting exp to pick up vf..IMO.

PREVIOUS POST
    "VF at its core, the gameplay, customizations, moves, are just fine. But we all know they need to give the characters more...personality. I mean, bland is ok for blank slate characters that people are going to personalize anyway. But the sayings and voices are borderline lame. Everytime I play or see a Jacky or Lion match it pains me. Because they have such dynamic fighting styles but such lame personas. At least get different voice actors for god's sakes! And Lion needs to man up. Eileen should be the only child in the series. Nessa has some blah stuff too. I don't too much mind Sarah talking like an old MILF woman, Wolf being so kosher, and Jeff becoming braindead. Brad is near perfect. The "foreign" characters are solid because they can be saying, "Get ready for a knuckle-sandwich mister!" and it'd be fine because I dont know what they're saying anyway."

Yea alot of ppl think VF characters are dull....they need more personality or a story like tekken

10. FlyMike

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    Lol, Tekken is technical and about frames as well. How to punish certain moves isn't always so apparent. That's why I say you have to "study" Tekken to take it to an extreme level of winning tournaments, etc. Stuff can go on in match and you ask, "Why?" and a veteran will tell you it's because of this. Then other stuff will happen and they say you're suppose to do this. And then you're like, "But how would I know that?" And then they say you're just.... supposed to know.

Takes knowledge of the basics of the game, coupled with knowledge of EVERY character. How to react to moves, even how to get up off the ground. There's stuff that goes on in matches that you certainly would not overcome from "raw skill". During those matches where the characters seem to be dashing around all weird like crazy, foreign players think its just stupid, while players of the game know that there are so many mindgames going on at that one moment.

Execution and combos are only the first step in Tekken. Knowledge, strategy, and "mindfucks" are what define the good players. I'm not good or familiar enough to speak on what high-level VF demands.

Just earlier, I was talking to my friend (one of, if not the best Kazuya players in the nation) about VF5R and why he and other Tek players don't embrace VF series. Hoping that if I could get them to play, our arcade owner(and competitive SF player) would spring for VF5R. He said what's always been said.

1. It has no scene.
    2. It's slower. (it's actually faster though)
    3. It's boring as fuck.

I linked him to this match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeRYZMy6lOY

Good French Jin Kazama(Jean Kujo)play and similarities between styles in both games seemed to spark interest.

I conclude that people just arent seeing "good" VF play and that the game looks "boring as fuck" entry level.

11. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    "Lol, Tekken is technical and about frames as well."
    i know but u can do very well without knowing it...
    1. It has no scene.
    2. It's slower. (it's actually faster though)
    3. It's boring as fuck.
    I hear that alot actually.. that its boring...it was for me too.. it was tedious to actually to start liking vf.

But if there was a recommendation for VF, i would say make the punishing more obvious like it is in tekken.. ( i duno whether i say this from tekken exp.. and i know how to punish.. and vf i dunt know.. but it just seems more obvious for some reason, cause theirs a pause, stagger.. etc.. for a longer period)

12. FlyMike

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    Lol. Again, I speak in terms of high level play. Of course, there are people who can tell you the frames of every single move in the game yet they are horrible players. Knowledge of frames must be coupled with good play to be effective. If there were 2 relatively good players, one who knew very little of frames, and one who knew a great deal, you can expect the one who knows next to nothing about frames to be at the disadvantage.

Ok I'll bite. You whiff a certain move and I'm playing as Feng. Depending on the speed of the move, or frames, I know that I can punish with a shoulder or launcher. But certain moves, I can only settle for a jab.

After getting into Tekken seriously, I came back to VF like, just last week playing that shit like it was Tekken. Opponent whiffs, I'm using Lei-Fei's b,b,f +PK Feng-esque shoulder to punish, etc. Abusing SS and getting beasted for it.

Anyway, the punishment as a whole, isn't easily apparent in either game when you're playinh someone who actually knows about they're character's recovery. Another example, I whiff a certain move and you're looking for the launcher. You may have gotten the launcher had I not known that after whiffing this particular said move I could throw out a b+1+2(Ganryu's fast frame "headbutt")before the animation of your move. Now, had you known that I could get that afterwards you probably wouldn't have to be dealing with that CH b+1+2 -> free d+1+2/uf+3+4, 2, (you wakeup just right)-> natural combo.

Was that so obvious? No.

13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

...and this one.

14. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

VF is only boring to boring people. Also can be said as VF is only stupid to stupid people.

15. FlyMike

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    Haha. Let's not go too far with bias. "It's boring as fuck." is a relatively understandable statement if it's being said from someone who has become accustomed to Tekken's flashy and brutal style from playing it for so long. Naturally, the real-worldly-ness of the characters, moves, etc. might be unappealing.

I'll try to remember what a VF player said of Tekken. Oh, something along the line of "It's stupid with unrealistic moves, over-the-top flashy effects, and you juggle like a clown." This is also a relatively understandable statement from someone who has become accustomed to VF's fluidity and realistic style from playing it for so long. Naturally, the electrics, sparkling effects, animals/creatures lol, etc might be unappealing.

Bottom line is, people like what they like. That's why Namco and Sega are "friendly" rivals. While they do compete and "borrow" from each other at times, they still know that there will always be a crowd for both. Also, let's try to keep this from being yet another VF vs Tek topic. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

16. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Back to weak posts again

17. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

That's a good thing. VF's current identity is "depth" and "blandness". "Depth" and "blandness" are two things that should not exist together, especially in the "niche" fighting game genre.

The flashier (without compromising the depth, of course), the better.

18. FlyMike

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    What I said was 5R IS plenty "flashy" enough. Yet, it also looks to maintain it's depth.

I feel like VF cannot become anymore "flashy" without risking losing it's identity or looking "dumb". Now, becoming more "brutal" is a totally different thing though.

But, if it came down to "flash", if one wanted "flash", why they hell would they NOT be playing Tekken anyway? lol

19. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

and brutal would mean?

20. SuperPanda

SuperPanda Well-Known Member

Got to page 8 and skipped the rest.

VF has two solutions to its problems:

1) Risky: New management.

2) Less Risky: Lift the entire game, and paste it onto a new name, story, characters, add flash, CG endings, lots of mini games, and excellent online mode.

Basically: give the kids the eye candy, but keep the game nutrition for the vets.