1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter popularity... Relaunch?

Discussion in 'General' started by sealion, Apr 1, 2009.

1. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Both Nina's ws 1 carry combos and julia's shotgun combos are for me harder than anything in VF input wise. I've not tried all the characters but i've no reason to believe there isn't other tough stuff in the game. I've heard Bryans taunt stuff is difficult well.

Tekken doesn't really have a buffer window as i understand it. You can input 1 direction early and that's it AFAIK. It makes stuff more difficult than it would be using VFs system.

2. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I found Bryan's taunt stuff difficult, you need to be very precise with your cancel. You can't be too early or too late. Need to be bang on.

If you fuck up you'll eat a launch.

3. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

The core of VF is option select. Tekken is a spacing and juggle game. Even if Tekken is more difficult in execution, the game is obviously poor compared to VF.

In the interview of Fuu~do that Tetra made, Fu said that SF4 required a lot more exeuction than VF, and that's true. But still, who cares if there are difficult inputs or not ^^

4. zoning

zoning Member

Well, they did do a bit of procedural animation (or at least faking it with canned animation) for their ultras.

I think its a good technology to borrow. Apart from its ugly art style, I dont think theres much aesthetically wrong with SF4. Your oneline dismissal is pretty mindless.

----------

hahah, maybe i should have made my own thread. My necro has gotten lost in the replies and people are just replying based off the OP.

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I actually like Street Fighter IV art style and I agree that there is nothing aesthetically wrong with SFIV. My comment was not a dismissal. It was just merely an observation after reading what you wrote.

6. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Oh so it's a juggle thing, Eh okay sure. Do these hard juggles necessarily do more damage? For me the mechanics of movement and defense trump anything I've had to do in Tekken. The hit throws can be fierce too.

7. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Well, Bryan's taunt isn't a juggle.

8. Hyunster

Hyunster Well-Known Member

re: TWP

A lot of difficult inputs in Tekken happen during combos for sure, but I know there are many things outside juggles that are quite difficult as well. iWS, CD-cancel stuff, or f,f,f moves from close range are considered staple techniques outside juggles as well, but I find them much harder to do correctly than the VF equivalents. On AVERAGE the STAPLE VF moves and combos are heck a lot easier to do than comparable Tekken or SF moves. There simply is no comparison.

As Myke said long ago, the only thing really more difficult or complex in VF compared to any other game is DEFENSE, but even than there is some room for debate. (Compared to Tekken, Oki game is somewhat simpler, sidestepping works in a discreet way, and there are far, far less moves to learn to defend against.)

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yes, a lot more. The thing i was talking about with Nina gives her crazy wall carry on combos. More necessary than doing dbl plm in combos with Akira. Harder imo as well.

10. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

The core of Street Fighter is option select. SFIV, 3S, and ST are filled to the brim with option select. Safe jump, safe reversal, built in dragon punch, auto correct, super jump low parry, far too many to list and some of them are 100% effective. In ST the game is like playing rock, paper, scissors, but if you use option select, you can choose rock and scissors, or even all three at once, while your opponent can choose one only. VF has no option selects that are that powerful.

The core of VF is not option select and I don't think Fuudo implied that at all.

11. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

It is at least a very important part of the game. Good defense is all about option select. Fuzzy Guard and ETEG are the bases of defense and they are option selects. And you MUST master them in order to get good.

In SF, some chars are option selects dependant but most of them are not. Safe Jumps doesnt work on any char, and at least half of the cast do not have any useful OS in SF4.

btw I did not say that Fuudo implied anything on option selects, I was only talking about execution.