1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter RPG Adventure? On GameCube.

Discussion in 'General' started by Goom, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Goom

Goom Active Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://cube.ign.com/articles/356/356445p1.html>Link to IGN</a>

AM2`s Yu Suzuki makes the huge announcement himself. And it`s not a fighting game!

March 29, 2002 - Years ago, as Sega`s Saturn console fought a futile battle with Sony`s PlayStation console, a tasty rumor of a Virtua Fighter RPG began circling the internet. That game disappeared, apparently to become Dreamcast`s Shenmue.
    Or so we thought. At Sega`s GameJam event in Tokyo today, AM2 and Yu Suzuki revealed plans for a new Virtua Fighter game to mark the series 10th anniversary in 2003. The game is being developed for the GameCube and will, surprisingly, not be a fighting game.

Specifically, Yu Suzuki referred to this game as "Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary Special Project." He described its genre as action-adventure in which story is important, and also threw in the term RPG a couple of times. Note that Suzuki made sure to specify that this is not a Virtua Fighter Kids type of game.

Only a few details besides this were revealed. Apparently, the A Button will achieve a kick and there`s a power gauge. Also, everyone from the series (there won`t be a single character missing) will appear in the game. Suzuki read most of this information from a stack of papers (perhaps a design document) which also contained screen shots. Sadly, we were too far from the stage to see what the game looked like, although we did see something greenish and reddish. Start speculating.

We`ll have more as we learn it.

[/b]

2. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

The first thing I did when I read this news at N-sider was to look at the date. It's not April yet! It was shocking to me, especially after the "VF Kids" remark made by AM2 a while ago, regarding a possible version for the cube. I am really happy and looking forward to it, and the fact about the story focus is also promising. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Good news indeed .

3. Goom

Goom Active Member

At first I wasn't very happy. "Now I need to buy a GC" was my original thought.
    But they are pretty cheap.
    And I mean, an action-story game, like Shenmue, based of the VF story?

I'm psyched now. And in all honnesty, I think it will be better on the GC than it could be on the PS2, system is more powerful.

I wonder if it'll be set right after the 4th World Tournament. Will we see Lau's restaraunt? Will he move into the mountains to train his successor? Will Lei's clan make an appearance? Will their be a fishing mini-game, with Satan Shark as a super secret fish to catch? Will Akira be the main character? :p

Long ways off, but I'll buy a GC for it.

4. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Since Im now a VF freak this totally made my day. My friend and I always discussed how cool a VF or SNK rpg would be. I have to buy a GC when that comes out.

5. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I already have a NGC, so I am set for the game. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif But it would be really good if it really turns out to be NGC exclusive. Spreading different Sega games over multiple systems can be good.

Personally, I don't think they will use the current stories for the VF charecters. They may make some references here and there, or have some basic basis /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif , but creating a newer story is better. Who knows, maybe the new charecters involved in the adventure will turn out to be the new charecters for VF5? /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Goom

Goom Active Member

Aslong as Lau makes an appearance... even if it's just as a chef in his restaurant, and all he says his "GTFO!" when you go back there /versus/images/icons/wink.gif