1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter tournaments in North America.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SPINMASTER X, Apr 21, 2002.

1. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    You can't help but be dissapointed that VF doesn't have the Tourney organization that Tekken and Capcom fighters have. Tekken has the Namco sponsered National tourney and the Tekken Zaibatsu has theirs. Capcom fighters have Shoryuken.com tourneys and they have the "Apex" Tournament Ranking system and Shin Akuma.com has the GPA Tournament ranking system.

In these tournaments they also get to go against the best from other countries and not just face themselves. I have no doubt in my mind about the high skill level of the VF players in America, i know we are good enough. What do us VF players have to do to get an organized National Tournament or some kind of system?

Should Sega AM2 be the one to blame? Should the VF websites like this one and Virtua Project just bust out and help make some kind of tourney and ranking system for VF? What could be done?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

A lot of complaints have been made about SOA doing a crappy job promoting the game in america, that includes a lack of tournaments. Sponsored tournaments sound fairly common in japan for VF4.

However, you can't flame sega too much over it, there hasn't been much interest in the game in the US. At least not until now. There's nothing more embarrassing than organizing a tournament and four guys show up.

3. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Eh, I remember reading an article at SRK (not that I go there anymore, I lost all interest in 2D fighting games) about how even the lowliest of games, when promoted with tournaments, gain popularity. The game mentioned, I believe, was Capcom's Slam Masters. (Seth also mentioned TTT, but he's clearly against any 3D fighting game...)

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I feel your fervor Spin but you must understand hardcore VF players is an esoteric group. Of course VF is gaining popularity now, but still no where near a fan base like Street fighter and Tekken. We wil have to wait and see. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Only Namco has sponsored official tourneys over the past 2 years. Capcom tourneys have been unofficial, sponsored by players only. The past few years VF players have major gatherings to compete against each other.

But there have been tourneys popping up. Check Jamboree forum for listings

5. SPINMASTER X

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Well unfortunately it does me no good to check in Jamboree cuz there isn't really any VF competition in my area(that i know of). Hell we don't even have a VF4 machine. In my area Tekken is the series with the fiercest competition and I've already take place in 2 tekken tournaments, the Namco Sponsored one and a locally sponsored one but I also wanna get a piece of some VF action along side the rest.

I was thinking if maybe some kind of big name tourney came about then the VF players in my area might come out of hiding like they did for Tekken.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

heh, join the club, in the UK all i get is jacky & pai scrubs... though a couple of cliche kages, i think i'm the only one who plays a decent wolf...

the only tourney i know is dynamic-league, but i can't attend on sundays so i miss-out,

no epceptionally *big* ones over here though....

7. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

true, we all wish the vf scene was bigger tourney-wise in the US...at least it's getting better than in the past. you've seen the successful improvement of VF4 and how more people are playing it now.

see, we just need a B6 equivalent of a VF tourney in the US, and need to spread the word around enough so people all over the nation come together.

for those of you who don't know about B6, it is like the major US capcom game tourney that always takes place in folsom, cali around the summer. i sure wish we had an equivalent of that for the VF scene.

8. SPINMASTER X

PSN:
    SMX-001
    If it did happen i just wonder who would run/sponsor it?

9. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I was thinking of hosting one, suggestion or comments welcome. But in would only be New York though.

10. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

This isn't meant to criticize anyone since I'm often guilty of the same thing, but wishing ain't gonna make it so. If you want it, do it yourself and make it happen.

11. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

to add to the B6 thing i was talking about earlier, it seems that it's not one single person who sponsors the entire thing; true, it's located in folsom, CA and everyone across the nation goes to cali around those days for 3 days of just capcom tourney action, but in general, it tends to be a total nation effort; go over to SRK.com, and most likely, you'll find a link such as "sponsor B6" or something like that; it's not some over-rich person who does the whole thing, it's kinda group effort of everyone pouring in some contributions to help with it. so granted, if we wanted a B6 equivalent, you'd need to do something like that and then spread the word like crazy.