1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter-Video game or Sport?

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Temjin, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Re: Sport? uh...whatever.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh for anyone who tell me that my wrist and fingers shouldn't be hurting from playing VF then trying using a Akira and getting his bloody techniques out with a damn pad and no button config. Until then LLamfair stop jumping the gun whenever something is against your law of reality. And definitely VFers in my situation know what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I think you're taking my post the wrong way. I wasn't insulting you. I was pointing out that I don't think you can use the example of your wrist hurting as a means of tagging a physical side to VF. If that were the case, people would have to consider typing as a sport.

I don't doubt the mental nature of VF. I don't question the intensity of good competition. And I'm definitely not jumping the gun in defense of my sense of reality, either. The question was posed as to whether or not VF is a sport. Without a clear definition of either, it makes it very difficult to come up with any sort solid answer. I chose to post what I feel is a very accurate definition of a sport. For those who care, it was taken directly from Webster's. Under that context, I feel VF is not a sport.

I'm sorry your wrists hurt, KFS. Many would say that the solution to your pain would be to get a stick. Or change characters. Either way, it's doesn't change the fact that your wrist hurt, imo, from playing a game.

cheers,

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I do not see video games of any type as a sport...they can be competitive and even require some physical elements, but don't get it twisted - they are not sports. Any sport, even (insert gag) golf, require years upon years to master, intense physical conditioning and maintaining your body as well as your mind. While you can practice DTE all day, it is still not the same as hours in the gym. Pool, for me, falls in the gray area. I see it more as a competitive game with sport like elements, but not a pure "sport."

3. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I have to apologies too. I was very over the top about the topic and I shouldn't be insulting you. It must be this freaking cold weather we're having because I'm a skinny guy and my body is taking a pounding. Hey, I hope we're good Llanfair, sorry. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

VF is not a sport.

I really only wanted to post just so I could laugh at KFSmurf always refering to LlaNfair as LlaMfair. That's as funny as when someone (can't remember who) thought Llan was a girl.

Haha

GE

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

That was me yall kept calling him Llany reminded me of a girl's name.

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

heh...now I'm starting to wonder if making fun of my nick is a game or a sport? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

That's as funny as when someone (can't remember who) thought Llan was a girl

That would be me! Though that was only for a short time.
    I seem to recall another getting the same impression.

8. kungfusmurf

Well, it doesn't help either that Llanfair also has a powerpuff girl as his I.D. you know, hehehe. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

9. GodEater

Llanfair's name: game or sport?.

I'm thinking it is a sport, seeing how everyone wants to claim they 'were the one'.

heh

GE
    -for the record, I believe it was someone other than Lonely or CreeD

10. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Well I still think high-level competative VF play can be considered a sport, and I don't have a personal axe to grind here because I'm a light VF player who couldn't care less about its public image.

Firstly, there's nothing in the definition of sport that states it must be athletic in nature or require any great physical element. Otherwise, pastimes like bowls, darts and shooting couldn't be considered sports, yet two of these are olympic events. The important consideration is that Virtua Fighter requires skill (dexterity and reflexes), practice and some form of mental preperation.

Also, regarding the point about having to choose a pre-set character with different abilities - why exactly does this stop VF being a sport? Formula 1 is certainly a sport , yet drivers are forced to drive specific cars who's performances are never equally balanced. Also, unlike Virtua Fighter were a different character can be selected each play, F1 drivers are stuck with the one car for a whole season. Hardly balanced, but still a sport. Equestrian is another example - horses differ wildly in terms of fitness and temperment.

11. kungfusmurf

Hey Max, what's your prediction for the 2003 Formula One season? I hope this year is the year for my man Kimi to start shining. David might as well step aside for the new fin even though he still has a a lot experience but now real potiential for a true champion status. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Firstly, there's nothing in the definition of sport that states it must be athletic in nature or require any great physical element.

Webster's dictionary say "physical" in it, as llanfair noted.
    Dictionary.com says:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    A particular form of this activity.
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    An active pastime; recreation.

All four definitions reek of the term "activity" a "physical exertion".

I notice a lot of the heartfelt replies in this thread that are in favor of VF being called a sport... they all seem to keep away from the actual definition. If you're going to argue semantics, it's a good time to whip out the dictionary /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Otherwise, pastimes like bowls, darts and shooting couldn't be considered sports, yet two of these are olympic events.

Being an olympic event doesn't automatically qualify it as a sport. I have a hard time of thinking of shooting, darts, sprints, the butterfly, ski jumping, curling, and polevaulting as sports. Yes, they're competing, but you can compete in anything you want... who runs fastest, who jumps highest, who can eat the most hot dogs, who can down the most shots of tequila. Obviously our definition of sports differ VIOLENTLY, all the ones you say are "certainly" sports (like F1) I'd probably argue against /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

However, why is everyone acting like not being called a sport is an insult? If something isn't a sport, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken seriously or disrespected. Are you hoping VF will qualify for the olympics someday?! I see a lot of straining to call VF a sport, but if you ask 100 console owners "What's virtua fighter?" you can count on 99 of them saying "A video game". It is a game before it is anything else, just like judo is a martial art before it is anything else. If you forget that, then you can make anything a sport. Point blank is no different from shooting or darts, so is Point Blank is a sport? If VF is a sport, then so's Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and probably head to head Puzzle Bobble.

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Is VF a highly competitive activity? Yes. Intense training required? Yes. However, it's definitely <font color="yellow"> not </font color> a sport. If VF is a sport, then what about checkers, blackjack, or basket weaving? No offense, but darts is more of a sport than VF is.

P.S.
    Bowling is not a sport. If I can drink and smoke during it, it's not a sport.

14. Temjin

Temjin Well-Known Member

Chess will officially be an olympic sport in 2004. Therefore athleticism or physical ability does not constitue a valid and only criteriea for a sport. I suppose the best way to unofficially define a "sport" is an activity that requires a higher level of skill and competition. In relation to VF, this is somewhat evident In Korea and Japan, with the organization of tounaments, rankings, teams, etc.. So in some loose sense, it does qualify as a sport.

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hehe I did a "I feel lucky" google search on 'chess olympic sport' and
    http://www.danchan.com/daily/2001/08/13/chess.htm
    popped up :p

Well, popular usage defines the meaning of the word - with chess in the olympics, I guess there's no longer a distinction between sport and game. Not that I dislike chess being in the olympics - why don't they call it an olympic game? The olympics themselves are referred to as "the olympic games".

I think it'll be years though before video games get called sports by the majority of people. Maybe when quake XXIV hits the olympics.

16. GodEater

The olympics are as far from true as you can get from where it originally started. Back when it was a bunch of naked, oiled men I don't think there were whiny, self-interested groups petitioning the ancient and venerated IOC members to have their activity validated with a chance at a medal round. whew.

The Olympic Games are just that. Games. I would hate to think that the original Survivor series has any impact on anything.

GE

17. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Most competitive sports are in fact.. games. Any type of competitive event that is played head to head (ie team vs team, person vs person) has to be a game that includes rules and regulations. Without the event being a game with rules, there will be no way to tell a winner between the two parties. The only events in the olympics where this definition does not apply fully are events that are 'graded' or 'timed' events. Such as figure skating, ski jump, etc. So the gap that differentiates between a 'game' and a 'sport' is very small. The only reason people wouldn't consider VF a sport is because they don't believe it to be an activity that requires the level of concentration and personaly capability as other more physically demanding sports. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

"bowling is not a sport...." by dre...

And bowlers.. get rid of those wrist bands! lol

19. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

When I mentioned the "definition" of sport I wasn't refering to its dictionary definition, which is clearly not applicable to this argument or the argument of what constitutes a sport generally - lest you be a pedant out to trip people over in a silly word throwing match. I was refering to what people would consider the bare essentials of a sport to be. Shooting is a case in point: to me this is definately a sport, in the same way that deer hunting is a sport. The olympic event of shooting dosen't require athletic ability or physical effort - just skill, concentration and a calm demenour. Why is Virtua Fighter any different?

Also, I don't think anyone is insulted by the fact that Virtua Fighter isn't widely considered a sport - I personally couldn't give a damn. I think this is your "veteran-headed" ego kicking-in, making you angry against others who would dare try and classify Virtua Fighter as a sport without your consent or approval (as a hardcore VF player of many many years....blah blah).

20. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

....I seriously wish I'd never mentioned the olympics now...I was only joking....let's all go back to the title of this topic... "is Virtua Fighter a video game or a sport?"......it's a video game - end of story...