1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

Discussion in 'General' started by celsowm, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I really hope this is not a reboot. Despite what people say about VF's story, I wanted the story to continue, to see this mysterious student of Shun Di, that we haven't seen yet. Also, it's interesting that the video is a bit desaturated. Could that be hinting something?

masterpo likes this.
  2. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Well i guess some sacrifices need to be made, that would remind me of how Shenmue III is in some way a soft reboot/retelling of the story...

Although that one was poorly done, if a new VF game rebooted the series it would be a good opportunity to retell the lore and improving it while also showing it through the game.
    Although i doubt this is gonna have any story inside the game but who knows.

masterpo and Braveheart like this.
  3. Braveheart

Braveheart Active Member

Yeah, I don't think a reboot/soft reboot erases all lore or at least it doesn't have to. Some things needed to be reset anyway, like the ages of the fighters.

masterpo likes this.
  4. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see what VF will look like with the current Sega. Judgment's presentation was fantastic for me, among other things, so I'm looking forward to this.

Braveheart, masterpo and Shinobi like this.
  5. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    keep this in mind, a reboot, or restart is a beginning, not an end. So if VF e-sports is a total restart there is no reason why the story wouldn't continue.

And as far as fighting games and story goes, think about it, Sega actually understands both extremes. Virtua Fighter a quality fighting game which has a minimum but quality story, and the Shenmue/Yakuza/Judgment series which have quality stories with a minimum but quality fighting game system inside. So Sega has experience with both extremes a fighting game with a story in it, and a story with a fighting game in it.

I think every future version of Judgment/Yakuza will have a more refined and sophisticated fighting system, and it is likely that if there is a new version of VF it will have a more refined and sophisticated story. If for no other reason than Sega has learned a lot over the last couple of decades;)

Sozos, gido and Shinobi like this.
  6. Junosynth

Junosynth Well-Known Member

Lau may have to go too since he was practically on his deathbed but Pai is old enough for a Son so that shouldn't be a problem. I can't wait to see what they plan to do though.

masterpo likes this.
  7. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Lau was cured by some J6's technology:LOL:

beanboy, Braveheart and Shinobi like this.
  8. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to play as Dural in this.....

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Ray tracing baby

SSfox likes this.
  10. celsowm

celsowm Well-Known Member

My bet is an initial 10+1 Fighters avaliable (vf2) for a very modest price (+- $10).

After that, they would release seasons with new fighters, stages and skins

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    ICHIBANin10000 likes this.
  11. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is most likely the case. They'd be following the business model set by Tekken 7 and SFV. We can earn or buy revamped versions of the older characters, plus some new ones.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    celsowm likes this.
  12. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Killer Instinct started bare bone and ended up much bigger and better.

I don't mind this at all

celsowm likes this.
  13. Braveheart

Braveheart Active Member

I hope they don't milk us like that, and if they do...I'd like some guest characters. Gimme Shenmue's Ryo, Yakuza's Kiryu, Streets of Rage's Blaze Fielding, etc..

jimi Claymore likes this.
  14. gido

gido Well-Known Member

I dont mind whatever they do. Whether its a remake, reboot or a remastered. I would prefer they reboot though but its not a big deal. Im just glad VF is acknowledged.

If it is along a revamped FS, what I simply would want from this is more customizations and maybe homages to old nostalgic classic outfits from VF1-4.

masterpo likes this.
  15. Blahzie

Blahzie Well-Known Member

So I got up today and somehow got this weird idea in my head that this will be some kind of collaboration with Ed Boon. He's been teasing upcoming stuff lately and some of the hints remind me of sega and the VF franchise ... e.g. "1984" and "seriously #6"...

I fully realize how ridiculous this sounds, but it would be kind of cool to get the two houses together to make us something that would be unique on the fighting game landscape, whatever that could be.

Oh, and what up to everyone from the vf5 online stuff back in the day.

16. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Ed is amazing honestly, when I don't want the full hardcore experience I turn to Make and I have also enjoyed the infamous 3d games too for what they were worth.

I don't think that's happening honestly , but I am all open to it. Don't get me wrong MK's story and lore is as silly as the other fighter's but the script and the production values are top notch and I don't feel embarrassed to have run by non gamers friends.

Having said that, I would prefer a VF that's similar to previous entries, no story mode nothing. Just the usual top production visuals, sounds and animations.

People nothing animates even close to VF.

17. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Fighting games don't sell as much as other types of games.

Coming out with a new fighting game concept is a very risky proposition.

Sega is likely to be banking on Virtua Fighter as a known quantity and on its legendary reputation. Therefore I think that Sega is going to keep whatever the reboot is very close to what Virtua Fighter is today. Its too risky to do anything else. Sega is most likely to go with what works instead of taking chances with the shareholder's money. It makes most financial sense for Sega to take advantage of existing IP and goodwill.

That being said, I could see how SEGA might add Takayuki Yagami from Judgment and his Kamurocho style Kungfu to Virtua Fighter e-sports. I can see how Takayuki's detective backstory could lead to J6, especially if one of the Yakuza families have interest in one of the J6 corporations. VF5FS is already in the Judgment and Yakuza games, so I could see Sega merging a new e-sports version of Virtua Fighter with the Judgment world as a backstory for any needed story mode. Sega has already built the Kamurocho world and TakaYuki Yagami's fighting engine is being interpreted and extended as Tiger and Crane Kamurocho Kungfu

So I could easily see two characters being added to a future version of Virtua Fighter:

• Takayuki Yagami Tiger Crane "Kamurocho Style" Kungfu
    • Kazuma Kiryu Dragon of Dojima Style fighting

Both that would bring a well developed and well accepted backstory that Sega already owns. All that's necessary is to tie the J6 corporations to the Yakuza interests in Kamurocho and mission accomplished! Sega would have a rich story mode IP tie-in for an e-sports version of Virtua Fighter that would allow them to introduce, test new characters , ideas and fighting styles prior to adding them to Virtua Fighter. Voila!

So my crystal ball is guessing a tie-in between Sega's Judgement/Yakuza series story and the e-sports version of Virtua Fighter. The world of Judgment would make a perfect backstory for one of the corporations of J6 and would provide a ready-made story mode for VF from a IP that Sega already owns.

By building a bridge between the story of J6 and and Judgment series with it's Dragon engine , the backstory of Virtua Fighter e-sports immediately surpasses the stories of DOA, Tekken, and MK. with no need to introduce fantastical, supernatural, or magical elements. The story mode marriage between Virtua Fighter and Judgment would sell more VF and more Judgment.

I can already imagine interactions between Goh Hinogami and Takayuki Yamagami, Brad Burns and Kazuma Kiryu both in Virtua Fighter e-sports and in Judgment :LOL:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Shinobi likes this.
  18. faster 10 lightning

faster 10 lightning Well-Known Member

I really hope it will not be a F2P "game as a service" like the mess Capcom did on Street Fighter V.

beanboy, Braveheart and jimi Claymore like this.
  19. celsowm

celsowm Well-Known Member

Probably will be a GaaS, this is the new trend

20. nou

nou Well-Known Member

If F2P games still don't require a subscription on the PS5, I hope it's F2P and cross-play. DOA5, DOA6 and KI did this as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.