1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports Announcement Breakdown

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

By MadeManG74 on May 27, 2021 at 9:03 AM
  1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Less than two hours ago, Sega livestreamed an announcement and in depth look at the upcoming Virtua Fighter x esports (Or Ultimate Showdown, as it's known outside Japan. The full stream lasted just over an hour and can be re-watched here;

Here's a breakdown of the major points discussed;

Virtua Fighter 1 Skins
    Low poly models for the cast will be made available as DLC for the game. Date doesn't seem to be confirmed yet.
    VF5US VF1 DLC2.jpg VF5US VF1 DLC1.jpg
    EDIT: Destructoid has some more information about the DLC, known as the 'Legendary Pack'
    https://www.destructoid.com/stories...es-the-roster-back-to-the-blocks-630442.phtml

Online Tournament, Room Match and Team Battle Mode Summer Update
    A summer update at a TBA date will feature an online tournament mode, complete with brackets, and improved Room Match functionality. Finally, a Team Battle mode has been hinted at! Details are scarce, but some footage could be seen in the live stream.
    The Room Matches also seem to feature the ability for spectators to send stickers to the screen to cheer or jeer the players fighting!

Arcade Cabinet
    An arcade version, complete with cabinet has been revealed! It appears to be a head to head format and uses the character/data cards similar to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown.

Heaven and Hell Dream Match
    An exhibition featuring some of Virtua Fighter's top players may be going down soon! It will debut on June 1st on Famitsu/Dengeki Online's Youtube Channel

eSports Circuit - 2021-2022

An official eSports circtuit will extend from this year into 2022, as the top players battle out to be crowned the champion.
    More details to come, but it seems that players will have to apply and then be selected via lottery for the 'pre season' matches.

Arcade Stick Prize
    Official 'exhibition matches' will be held, and the winner will walk away with this arcade stick prize! Details yet to come on this one;

VF Camp
    VF Camp.jpg

A website has been launched that Sega describes as being for building social circles, sharing information and building events and community! It sounds like this will be linked to the circuit and the exhibition matches.

https://vf-camp.jp/

EDIT:
    Virtua Fighter Merchandise

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Chanchai, Braveheart, SUGATA and 17 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

1. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      No idea yet, sorry!

No mention of netcode, just features.

Probably the same place you can buy the shirt and mug, but I didn't see specific mention

I don't know but I REALLY HOPE SO. I hate them

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is a straight remake/graphics update for Final Showdown based on everything we've seen. I wouldn't expect anything new for characters/seasons etc.

No mention on the stream, it was covering the online aspects like tournament, room and the like.

Guys, no need to insult each other, but i do agree that I didn't want a balance update. I think the game is really well balanced, and they have more chance of making it worse than making it better at this point!
      A sequel can have new balance and I'd be happy.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    2. Sozos
      Sozos
      Im really looking forward to play VF again. With the current gen plus good online we dont have any excuse anymore. The upgrade of graphics make it looks like a new VF game. i would love to have new moves or some changes but i dont mind if its like FS. You never know, maybe season pass or new chars get place later.
    3. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      That's me with SC 6. Just want to play US
      smbhax, KrsJin and SSfox like this.
    4. smbhax
      smbhax
      I tried to play VF4:Evo last night and I couldn't focus on what I was doing for almost an hour. : P
      SSfox and Zekiel like this.
    5. smbhax
      smbhax
      It was brief but they showed a few seconds of costume customization in the stream, from this new trailer, with the Japanese announcer saying "download-o contents":

They run quickly through the game modes: "Rank-u Match" is first, then "To-raining," "Arcade-o," and "Offline Versus"--before going on to talk about online tournament and spectator modes and so forth:

MadeManG74 and Lazy_Punches like this.
    6. El_Twelve
      El_Twelve
      A few additions

The host asked the producer if it was going to be okay to basically release the game for free, and he looked genuinely worried when he answered "maybe it won't be okay..." but he continued that the core of this entire project came from an idea to have as many people try VF as possible.

They didn't mention if the netcode would be using rollback.

Also, items are in but were described as downloadable content. Not clear if they will be paid only content or also unlockable through gameplay.

The announced official season tournaments are likely to be Japan-only as the finals are scheduled to be offline play. Possibility overseas will have separate announcements if any.

Ranked, Training, Arcade mode, Offline Versus, Spectator mode, 16 man Tournament(double and single elim) and 16 man League battles(round robin?)

Summer update will allow multiple matches to happen simultaneously in rooms and online tournaments, so people can choose to either spectate or get into their own match while another match is happening. It will help online community events run more smoothly. Also in summer update will be team battles, and online tournament events in which you can win special ranks.
      SSfox, Myke, Tha_FeauchA and 9 others like this.
    7. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      I see no mention anywhere of the main the keys for the whole announcement. Probably due to the lack of understanding the language. So I'm posting them here;

1. First and foremost the reason for the Project is to garner attention and let as many people as possible to know about VF and try it out. That's why it will be first free on PSN and the price tag is not high. They feel it's a huge risk but money is not the issue. (This indicates that they are actually working on VF6 and they're willing to take the risk. So basically VF5US is just a stepping stone for VF6 to succeed)

2. Dragon Engine was used to lift up visual and by that attracting more people. But the game system and everything else is intact. (Though they didn't speak about the online code, New Engine means new Online Code. So don't expect the same online experience of VF5FS)

3. AM2 did try igniting a new VF game many times, but for some reasons they couldn't and the project kept getting canceled. (I think not having the right team or the necessary people was part the problem)

4. e-Sport is part of SEGA's 60th anniversary plan and they wanted to do it right this time. Starting with season ZERO, all participant will be considered as an armature players. From there they can turn into VF Pro-Players. (e-Sport is a new type of business here in Japan and due to some legislations and laws, JeSU was formed and it seems there are many convoluted and strict rules with it. I think that's why they have this type of format)

JeSU stands for Japan e-Sport Union.

From my understanding of the whole announcement, SEGA is very serious about VF. The online code will defiantly be a huge improvement over the last game. For those who thinks SEGA doesn't have any experience with online technology, might I remind you about a crazy online game on the Dreamcast called Phantasy Star Online and how will it played though it was on dial-up era? They are starting their major tournaments online.

If I take an educated guess, the reason for why the game is only on PS4, is because of the Official Online Tournaments they are holding. They want everyone who is competing to be on the same line. Different Spec leads to different results. Just look at how SFV plays. PC users have an advantage over PS4 users. Daigo himself was talking about this.
      Zekiel, akai, Sozos and 11 others like this.
    8. Krish
      Krish
      Zekiel, SSfox and smbhax like this.
    9. Tiripsem
      Tiripsem
      It is encouraging to hear that Sega is taking VF more seriously, but I also understand that with their past history, many are apprehensive.

I will be placing a little more faith in them and will be doing my best to cultivate community.
    10. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      I still can't get over how incredible this all is. All the updates look great. I can't believe this is happening. VF makes a comeback with a new look, stages and music. And it's going to be free on release just a week or so after it was announced

Been waiting *in Yoel Romero voice* How many years!?
      Zekiel, Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    11. VF2011
      VF2011
      There was also mention of a VF branded Qanba Obsidian, but it was labeled esports so it might not make it outside Japan.
      I noticed that too. My guess is that they will start with 3 and then add more later. They're having to recreate all the clothing items again so we'll probably get them over time. It would also explain why the customization DLC is only $10 since that seems like a low price for all the items we had in FS.
      Zekiel, SSfox and smbhax like this.
    12. smbhax
      smbhax
      And maybe only four custom costume save slots per character.

[​IMG]

Good to know it's included in the $10 Legendary Pack DLC (which is in the $30 non-PS+ purchase), kinda confusing name though.
      Zekiel and MadeManG74 like this.
    13. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      For those who are eager to buy the game instead of getting it for free. You can do so on 31st of May. Also, I think there is an option where can buy a game instead of downloading as a PSN+ free game.

One thing that is very concerning to me (which I could be wrong) is that the is heavily if not just based on VF5FS. This will creat a huge gap between veterans who’ve been playing the game for years and people who just started playing. It could lead to some type of frustration. Thus making lots of people to quit.
      But it could be just my anxiety kicking in.
      Zekiel likes this.
    14. smbhax
      smbhax
      Source? Oh I see, that's at the bottom of the JP site TOP page. Nice, now I have something to do on Memorial Day. : )

Oh, unless that's only for the JP store. Guess we'll see!
      Last edited: May 28, 2021
      Zekiel and Shin ZAKIRA like this.
    15. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      Just noticed something in the official site.

upload_2021-5-28_13-4-1.jpeg

The text clearly say (screenshot is of PS4 version) .
      so there is a high possibility that the game will be released on other consoles.
      probably due to a Sony exclusive and the e-sport scene in Japan, we're getting the PS4 version first. After exclusivity ends will see PC and other consoles version.
      Zekiel likes this.
    16. smbhax
      smbhax
      Good shots of the stages on the JP site characters' pages. Kage's remade VF2 stage, for instance:

[​IMG]

And the rest (click any of these to toggle their full size):

Akira
      [​IMG]
      Pai
      [​IMG]
      Lau
      [​IMG]
      Wolf
      [​IMG]
      Jeffry
      [​IMG]
      Sarah
      [​IMG]
      Jacky
      [​IMG]
      Shun
      [​IMG]
      Lion
      [​IMG]
      Aoi
      [​IMG]
      Lei
      [​IMG]
      Vanessa
      [​IMG]
      Brad
      [​IMG]
      Goh
      [​IMG]
      Eileen
      [​IMG]
      El Blaze
      [​IMG]
      Taka
      [​IMG]
      Jean
      [​IMG]
      Dural
      [​IMG]
    17. smbhax
      smbhax
      Unless they were just trying to clarify that it wasn't from a PS5 running the PS4 version...although in that case I guess they didn't quite hit it, so you may be right. ^_^
    18. besi_tua
      besi_tua
      You guys are forgetting Arcade version hahaha
      Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    19. VF2011
      VF2011
      The stages are a massive improvement over the ps3 version. The lighting is better and there are a lot of small details that bring them to life.
      Zekiel, Sozos and SSfox like this.
    20. smbhax
      smbhax
      I'm not keen on the look of the wooden ring in Jeffry's stage, and the overall lighting of that one might be somewhat washed out. Jacky's stage background might be too busy, and they overdid Brad's background area a bit too. : P

From what I've seen so far, the aesthetic for the stages in 5US is slightly less colorful than the PS3 stages, whose color and contrast tended to be more intense. (I've mostly been playing 5 vanilla lately though so eh well.) It may be less "realistic," but if I had a choice I think I'd pick the older, more intense palettes.

Still, not all the PS3 stages were home runs. From these images, I'd say I prefer the newer versions of Akira, Pai, Lau, Sarah, Shun, Lion, Goh, El Blaze, Taka, Jean, and Dural's stages (if we don't count that hidden space version from whichever home version that was... : D). Kage's stage looks pretty cool, too.

So heck I guess overall I can't complain about the stage remakes yet. ; )

~~~~~~

To illustrate what I mean about the PS3 games having more intense color and contrast, here are some screen grabs from PS3 VF5 vanilla video captures:

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

(^ But I tended to give the characters glasses to hide how the eyes of most of those old character models were just a tad off. ; )