1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports Announcement Breakdown

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

By MadeManG74 on May 27, 2021 at 9:03 AM
  1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Less than two hours ago, Sega livestreamed an announcement and in depth look at the upcoming Virtua Fighter x esports (Or Ultimate Showdown, as it's known outside Japan. The full stream lasted just over an hour and can be re-watched here;

Here's a breakdown of the major points discussed;

Virtua Fighter 1 Skins
    Low poly models for the cast will be made available as DLC for the game. Date doesn't seem to be confirmed yet.
    VF5US VF1 DLC2.jpg VF5US VF1 DLC1.jpg
    EDIT: Destructoid has some more information about the DLC, known as the 'Legendary Pack'
    https://www.destructoid.com/stories...es-the-roster-back-to-the-blocks-630442.phtml

Online Tournament, Room Match and Team Battle Mode Summer Update
    A summer update at a TBA date will feature an online tournament mode, complete with brackets, and improved Room Match functionality. Finally, a Team Battle mode has been hinted at! Details are scarce, but some footage could be seen in the live stream.
    The Room Matches also seem to feature the ability for spectators to send stickers to the screen to cheer or jeer the players fighting!

Arcade Cabinet
    An arcade version, complete with cabinet has been revealed! It appears to be a head to head format and uses the character/data cards similar to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown.

Heaven and Hell Dream Match
    An exhibition featuring some of Virtua Fighter's top players may be going down soon! It will debut on June 1st on Famitsu/Dengeki Online's Youtube Channel

eSports Circuit - 2021-2022

An official eSports circtuit will extend from this year into 2022, as the top players battle out to be crowned the champion.
    More details to come, but it seems that players will have to apply and then be selected via lottery for the 'pre season' matches.

Arcade Stick Prize
    Official 'exhibition matches' will be held, and the winner will walk away with this arcade stick prize! Details yet to come on this one;

VF Camp
    VF Camp.jpg

A website has been launched that Sega describes as being for building social circles, sharing information and building events and community! It sounds like this will be linked to the circuit and the exhibition matches.

https://vf-camp.jp/

EDIT:
    Virtua Fighter Merchandise

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Chanchai, Braveheart, SUGATA and 17 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

1. Ali
      Ali
      I don't disagree with the notion that quality online matters. It does more than many other elements.

I disagree with "no rollback no buy" especially when stated by noobs who play wifi and expect rollback to make the game the smoothest ever.

If there is rollback that's good...if there isn't that's not the end of times.
      Zekiel and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    2. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      Online quality is very important in this age. But if the game sucks or people don't have any interest in the game, no matter how great the online code is, the game will simply die.
      Killer Instinct and MK11 both have great Online Code but I wasn't interested in any of them. Guilty Gear Strive on the other hand is almost everything I wanted from a 2D fighter.

SEGA hasn't announced what type of online code VF5US got, but will know in the upcoming days if it's good enough or not. Than we can all either complain or praise it to SEGA.

Meantime, just chill guys.
      Zekiel, smbhax, cobratron and 2 others like this.
    3. SSfox
      SSfox
      The "no rollback no buy" would be something i would apply to other fighting games, for example Samsho, i love the art and characters, and gameplay seemed simple and fun, it looked cool to me, but the online is so shitty that i didn't bother with the game when it was release. I also skipped DBZF for same reason.

And i plan to get GG strive because it looks cool and fun but also has good netcode, if the netcode wasnt good i will for sure not would have bought the game even for 15 or 20 bucks.

Of course netcode alone isn't enough, like the Akira game people say it has awesome netcode, but from what i see about the game i'm not really a big fan of it so.

That being said it's something i can't apply for all, like VF or Tekken for example because i like those games quite a bit, those are kind of games that literally define the notion of "VIDEOGAME" to me, VF5US can have no online mode at all and i will probably still get it, specially since there was nothing new about VF since a long time, but of course i will also complain my ass all day long at the same time that there is no online ect.

If someone that isn't necessarily a big VF fan (unlike people in this forum) say about VF5US "no rollback no buy" i can honestly relate, because it's something i apply myself to literally most fighting games that aren't VF, Tekken or other few exceptions. Not wanting to buy a new game for 40 or 60$ to play laggy matches is something i can totally understand and even support, tho in VF55US case it's gonna be free with PS+ so people can directly jump with no extra cost, can't really say that since they can try for free, and then see by themselves how netcode is, if it's bad or good.
      Zekiel, smbhax and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    4. Emptyeyes
      Emptyeyes
      I do question the legitimacy of a roll back netcode, having to had engaged with very strong players from all over in GGPO a very long time ago. The damage and animation resets were very cringey to contemplate in reflection to the fighting game application's early beta stages.

I do wonder, have they infinitely improved the underlining issues such as this?
      Ali likes this.
    5. gido
      gido
      No I totally get it and I agree that it's important to have rollback but I dont think it should be the end all be all. I just think its a poor excuse to just not try the game and give it a chance.

Personally and unfortunately, I dont play fgs online that much as I use to (unless it's Fightcade. I love my retro fighters) Like I dont usually go online until I'm absolutely confident on everything I can and want to do with my character. And even then the delayed netplay wont really bother me, at least I dont think, I dont have the credibility to say these things since I'm barely online.

However, as broken as it is, I still play VF2 and I get matches here and there but I'm not trying to rank up or anything I just like to play and have fun. I'm more of a lab monster, I get enjoyment out of learning various combo paths. But anyways I usually ramble on about stuff but my point is if this game really mattered to you, rollback shouldn't be that much of a big deal. Yes it's a big impact on the game's longevity but this is also why single player mode is also equally important. More content equals more play time. If any devs reading this, work on your strengths not weaknesess.
      Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    6. SSfox
      SSfox
      The game is free with ps plus, so there is totally no excuse to not at least try the game as you say.

Same here, main reason why i took almost a month before trying Tekken 7 online. All my friends that bought the game jumped online the first day lol

Yes it's important to have solo content for sure, i loved Quest mode sin VF4 evo so much and it's still my favorite solo mode for any fighting game ever.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    7. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      So what is his Twitter ? Because i was searching for it too lol :sneaky:
      smbhax and SSfox like this.
    8. joanot
      joanot
      Zekiel, Shin ZAKIRA, smbhax and 2 others like this.
    9. beanboy
      beanboy
      Nice article MadeMan. I really like how the low poly models of Taka and Eileen look.:D
      smbhax likes this.
    10. Mech
      Mech
      Rollback suddenly made GGXXAC+R great for a 9 year old game.
      gido, SSfox and cobratron like this.
    11. charleypk222
      charleypk222
      taking a step back and thining about everything , i`m very happy too have this new title and the future for the vf franchise , and want to support the game and also sony because sony make this possible , sadly i`m in a weird spots because i dont have any ps4 and feel my option are so limited , first i can not buy a ps5 everything is backorder in canada ( btw that why i play wolf ;) ) and the ps4 are the same price of the ps5 digital edition in canada , this just make any sense to me buying a out date console :( i`m a very hardcore vf player and vf hold a special spot in my heart , so for sure the very limited option i have are a bit frustrated , i buy my ps3 only for vf5fs and
      wait to buy a ps4 for vf6 but is never happent , i have np to spend 1k$ for vf5 ultimate or vf6 but not on a outdate ps4 :( sony really need too wake up and have some ps5 ready to sell ,because having some exclusive game with no ps5 console ready to sell make any sense to me :notworthy: thank you
      Last edited: May 28, 2021
    12. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Can you buy the 10$ pack while getting it free in ps plus?
    13. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      Hands on/Preview from Maximilian Dood

Sozos, beanboy, Zekiel and 3 others like this.
    14. smbhax
      smbhax
      Yeah, the idea I guess is that if you have PS Plus or PS Now, you get the base game for free, but without the Legendary Pack, so if you want customization and the VF1-style stuff, you buy the Legendary Pack for $10.
      Zekiel and SSfox like this.
    15. SSfox
      SSfox
      There seem to be some kind of customization included in base game based Maximillian preview.
    16. smbhax
      smbhax
      3:54 - "Standby CPU Settings" You can specify a character, maybe to have an AI to fight while waiting for an online match.

3:59 - From that command key display for Customization mode, it's not looking like I'll be able to edit costumes using only my arcade stick, due to its lack of analog sticks (it was clunky, but you could still rotate the camera in FS with just the d-pad--possibly d-pad still works here, but it isn't shown in the key).

The remade customization items are looking good, color and fit-wise.

5:38 - Online - "They said there's still some stuff that they're working on" before release day

6:14 - Sounds like he was told the same thing as Kotaku when he asked about the network code, ie just that 5US "builds on the previous game," and like Kotaku he *assumes* this means it is delay-based netcode rather than rollback, but they didn't specifically say that

He shows very short clips of Arcade mode here and there throughout, interspersed with Training clips.

8:23 - Kage's stage really does look nice, check out that moss.

8:50 - The Burning (Goh) stage actually looks good now, and no big lighting flashes, just some fuzzy flashes on the horizon (lighting, or transformers blowing?)
      beanboy and Zekiel like this.
    17. smbhax
      smbhax
      Not if you get it free with your PS+ or PS Now subscription--in that case, if you want customization, you'll have to buy the Legendary Pack DLC for $10.

If you buy the game at its regular $30 price, it comes with the Legendary Pack DLC included.
    18. SSfox
      SSfox
      You sure about that? In the video he said customization is included, despite not including all FS stuffs, but it's there.
      smbhax likes this.
    19. smbhax
      smbhax
      Pretty sure.

The Destructoid article says the Legendary Pack doesn't come with the free subscription version, but you get it with the $30 game purchase. Unfortunately, they don't mention customization at all, just the VF1 stuff; it seems to be a not-very-well written article. https://www.destructoid.com/stories...es-the-roster-back-to-the-blocks-630442.phtml

The Japanese site, down at the bottom of the front ("TOP") page, describes the purchase options in Japanese. https://www.virtuafighter.jp/vfes/ps4/

On the Japanese site's GAMEMODE page, at the bottom section titled "Customize" in katakana, the blurb there Google translates as saying "You can change the character's costume and equipment items. * You can use it by purchasing the Legendary Pack of additional contents." https://www.virtuafighter.jp/vfes/ps4/gamemode/

They probably gave Max a code for the $30 full version.

They're still working on converting all the items, according to the game's director in the Famitsu interview, so that's why only some of them are in there now; he said they're doing them in chronological order, as they released (in the VF5 arcade updates, presumably).
      Last edited: May 28, 2021
    20. SSfox
      SSfox
      Yes, Legendary pack include VF1 skins, in Max build there is no VF1 skins (at least i don't remember seeing those), so they may actually give him the base version isn't? I suspect base version include some customization, but of course not all, they will probably add some later, outside of the legendary pack.