1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports Announcement Breakdown

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

By MadeManG74 on May 27, 2021 at 9:03 AM
  1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Less than two hours ago, Sega livestreamed an announcement and in depth look at the upcoming Virtua Fighter x esports (Or Ultimate Showdown, as it's known outside Japan. The full stream lasted just over an hour and can be re-watched here;

Here's a breakdown of the major points discussed;

Virtua Fighter 1 Skins
    Low poly models for the cast will be made available as DLC for the game. Date doesn't seem to be confirmed yet.
    VF5US VF1 DLC2.jpg VF5US VF1 DLC1.jpg
    EDIT: Destructoid has some more information about the DLC, known as the 'Legendary Pack'
    https://www.destructoid.com/stories...es-the-roster-back-to-the-blocks-630442.phtml

Online Tournament, Room Match and Team Battle Mode Summer Update
    A summer update at a TBA date will feature an online tournament mode, complete with brackets, and improved Room Match functionality. Finally, a Team Battle mode has been hinted at! Details are scarce, but some footage could be seen in the live stream.
    The Room Matches also seem to feature the ability for spectators to send stickers to the screen to cheer or jeer the players fighting!

Arcade Cabinet
    An arcade version, complete with cabinet has been revealed! It appears to be a head to head format and uses the character/data cards similar to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown.

Heaven and Hell Dream Match
    An exhibition featuring some of Virtua Fighter's top players may be going down soon! It will debut on June 1st on Famitsu/Dengeki Online's Youtube Channel

eSports Circuit - 2021-2022

An official eSports circtuit will extend from this year into 2022, as the top players battle out to be crowned the champion.
    More details to come, but it seems that players will have to apply and then be selected via lottery for the 'pre season' matches.

Arcade Stick Prize
    Official 'exhibition matches' will be held, and the winner will walk away with this arcade stick prize! Details yet to come on this one;

VF Camp
    VF Camp.jpg

A website has been launched that Sega describes as being for building social circles, sharing information and building events and community! It sounds like this will be linked to the circuit and the exhibition matches.

https://vf-camp.jp/

EDIT:
    Virtua Fighter Merchandise

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Chanchai, Braveheart, SUGATA and 17 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by MadeManG74, May 27, 2021.

1. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      Why? You dont have PS4? used is cheap
    2. VF2011
      VF2011
      Shin ZAKIRA, Zekiel, Shinobi and 2 others like this.
    3. smbhax
      smbhax
      I'm gonna go with the official web site rather than what Max doesn't include in a brief video preview.

"You can change the character's costume and equipment items. * You can use it by purchasing the Legendary Pack of additional contents." -- from the Japanese site, seems pretty clear-cut, even via Google Translate.

Possibly the non-Japanese versions of the game will handle the DLC differently, but that seems very unlikely to me; I would be kind of shocked if they're different from the Japanese version in regards to base vs DLC features. Granted, it is a little confusing that the Destructoid article on the Legendary Pack doesn't mention customization, which according to the official site is also in the Legendary Pack alongside the VF1 stuff--but it wouldn't be that weird if all Destructoid had to go on was a press pack they got from Sega hyping the VF1 stuff.

But yes, technically there is still no official or semi-official word on customization in the North American version. The US site has not been updated with any new information since it first opened, and does not mention customization, DLC, or the VF1 stuff at all. This is pretty typical of SEGA USA sites, having less information than the Japanese sites.

In the Japanese-language Famitsu interview, the director says they're still working on getting all the previous items remade for the game, and they want to add brand new items, as well; he doesn't say whether those will come as free updates to Legendary Pack owners, to everyone, as new DLC, or what.

Also, it may be inaccurate to think of the VF1 stuff in the Legendary Pack as "skins," as Destructoid referred to them; nothing of what we've seen of the VF1 stuff shows that 5US will, for instance, let you use a VF1 model character alongside a VF5US-style stage and opponent. You could do that in VF4 and VF4:Evo. What we've actually seen so far though is a total conversion of everything at once--both characters, stage, and UI, all together--in VF1 style; that's more like the "Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary" PS2 bonus game, where everything was in VF1 style, only with the roster (all as low-poly versions) and moves of Evo. So what the Legendary Pack gives could be a completely separate VF1 mode launched from within VF5US; in VF4:Evo, you accessed VF 10th Anniversary from a single menu item tucked away under Options - Special. That could explain how Max didn't spot VF1 stuff in the version he was given, while still having the costume customization options.
      Last edited: May 28, 2021
    4. Adamay
    5. SSfox
      SSfox
      Yes, the japanese commentary can be relate to arcade version, in a sens i found it weird that Sega still didn't clear up those details of vf5us, either way we'll found out soon.
    6. smbhax
      smbhax
      If you mean the Japanese site blurb about customization, that's on the PS4 site, rather than the arcade site, which is separate; if you mean the Famitsu interview, you could be right, but in the rest of the interview they're pretty good at specifying when they're talking just about the arcade version, and they have separate questions about the arcade version in particular.

I'm not surprised that the details in English have been spotty. It's typical of what we see from Sega. And especially for VF, the Japanese team seems to be guarding the information very carefully; this is just speculation by me, but it feels like they don't really trust Sega USA to talk about it, so they just don't tell them very much, or let them say very much.

(For instance, regarding the conclusion to which Kotaku seems to have leapt regarding there being no rollback, after getting what appears to have been a generic, vague marketing answer about online modes from a Sega rep, I was wondering: how would this nameless Sega rep, presumably from some office other than Sega Japan, even have any sort of real knowledge of the game's networking code? Possibly word has spread around the various Sega international offices from Japan, but Sega Japan seems to be *so* tight-lipped about the networking, I'm not sure that's very likely.)

The fact that Sega USA are choosing to disseminate information via outlets like Kotaku, Destructoid, and Maximilian Dude, none of whom seem to report with an eye toward accuracy, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, either. Maybe Sega USA has been forbidden by Sega Japan from putting the new information up on their actual official US web site, or maybe Sega USA just doesn't have the budget to keep updating their site, so they just have to put up the tiny, low-info version, and get any further info out through news releases to other outlets, and they try to spread those around even to less reliable sites because they're desperate to network.

Anyway, it's unfortunate we don't have an actually-in-the-know-and-is-allowed-to-talk-about-it English Sega person. Maybe Sega Japan feels burned by previous western spokespeople who they feel kind of bungled things (this is entirely speculation by me and probably wrong, I don't even have very good knowledge of previous eras of Sega; it's just what it feels like, currently), so their policy now is to let them say as little as possible.

(Personally, I would love it if someone at Sega just had the balls to say "We really don't care about selling our games to countries that don't even bother to build themselves a decent online infrastructure." (Says the poor fool in a small rural American college town, using his tiny apartment building's free, WiFi-only internet. ; ))

(Or even: "Look, Virtua Fighter is our own thing here in Japan. If other people like it, that's awesome--but don't tell us how to make it. We're making it for us, and sharing that with you. This is how we like it.")
      Last edited: May 28, 2021
      Zekiel likes this.
    7. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      About Hit sparks - although I like more realism, nevertheless competent hit sparks help hit checking:
      - white flash = block
      - yellow flash = hit
      - red flash = counter hit
      - blue flash = side hit
      - the larger the flash size = the more damage done
      - flashes are also displayed on surfaces (walls, floor).
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    8. def
      def
      If anyone noticed in Max Dood's video, you can hear the FS Music playing in stages so I'm guessing you CAN switch the music.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    9. VF2011
      VF2011

I don't like the fact that there is a hit spark for each hit, but having the larger red and blue sparks for counters and sides will be a big help for new players. I remember when I got into VF5 that I had trouble at first knowing when I had gotten a counter since it was very subtle. Although you get used to it being subtle, having the easier to read confirmation in this game will greatly help new players to get up to speed.
      Zekiel, Shin ZAKIRA and Carlos Lenz like this.
    10. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      Is there a thread for this one???

Whether you knew it or not, it turns out that Yakuza 6 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon contain the console version of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, downgraded to arcade. As it turned out, it is enough to change one parameter in the Yakuza resources, and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown switches to console mode.
      This moment was accidentally revealed by the Polish modder Silent, who was delving into the resources of the game.
      But that's not all. Silent is currently working on the ability to launch Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown separately from Yakuza.
      A small fly in the ointment will only be the lack of network functions and, along the way, non-working customization (resources are cut).
      You can find out about the progress of work on the modder's twitter: https://twitter.com/__silent

https://twitter.com/__silent_/status/1384252072564957190
    11. charleypk222
      charleypk222
      i already buy a use console before and get bad lucky the console die 1 month later ,is always a risk buying something use , that suck to have exclusive games and sony have issue to supply some console
    12. smbhax
      smbhax
      This actually came up in an answer from chief producer Moriji Aoki in a just-released interview in Japanese: https://game.asahi.com/article/14357029

Via Google Translate ( https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://game.asahi.com/article/14357029 ). Bolding is my own:

"At the same time as the free distribution of the main game, we plan to distribute a DLC that includes character costumes, character models of the first Virtua Fighter, BGM of successive series, stamps at the time of watching games, etc. for a fee, but if you only play the main game, you can play for free. I will."​

So, that makes it sound like the BGM of previous VFs is included in the Legendary Pack DLC. I imagine this will be clearer once the official Japanese VF site posts their currently grayed-out DLC page.

~~~~~~~

Other stuff from that interview:

He pretty much says they did not change the gameplay:

'Based on the previous work "Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown", the graphics have been revamped. Not only the battle system, but also the types of characters and the performance of the techniques are completely reproduced.

After all, "5" is a very complete work, and if you play with it even a little, the overall balance will be lost. When the game was released, we invited about 20 top players from that time to play this game, and we received feedback from everyone that they could play as it was at that time. [...] The core part of the game has not changed.'​

Kotaku was correct about the game not using rollback, but now we have clear confirmation from a named source: Aoki is asked directly about the net code method they used. His answer:

'Recent fighting games sometimes use a rollback method for the net code, but in this work, we are creating a mechanism to absorb the delay by a method other than rollback. We are also doing test play with overseas such as Europe and the United States, and we can play without delay.'
      Last edited: May 29, 2021
    13. WolfKing
      WolfKing
      I wish we got the custom intros from the arcade, damn!
      charleypk222 and cobratron like this.
    14. smbhax
      smbhax
      What intros are you referring to?

(Oh I see, from VF5FS arcade version --thanks cobratron. : ] I was stuck thinking about VF5US/VFeS, so I was thinking he meant the VFeS arcade version.)
    15. cobratron
      cobratron
      WolfKing, smbhax and Zekiel like this.
    16. Krish
      Krish
      It sounds like sega is using some new netcode tech. Can't wait to see how awesome it will be.
      Sonic The Fighters and Zekiel like this.
    17. segaduck2
    18. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      I hope its true.... I really do.
    19. SSfox
      SSfox
    20. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      So down below is from gmae.asahi interview with Chief producer Aoki (originally posted by smbhax) and I am not googl translated or anything. I am translating it from my understanding of the language just so it will be clearer to understand.

オンラインでの大会などを考えると、ネットコードが気になります。本作はどのような方式を採用していますか?

Putting Online Tournaments in mind, I'm concerned about the net code. What type of method are you using for the current game (VF5US).

最近の格闘ゲームはネットコードにロールバック方式を採用することもありますが、今作ではロールバック以外の方法で遅延を吸収する仕組みを作っています。ヨーロッパやアメリカなど海外とのテストプレイも行っていて、遅延することなくプレイできています。

Recent Fighting Games have been using Rollback methods. But for VF5US we are using a deferent code structure than rollback to absorb latency. We did test plays against U.S. and Europe, we were able to play without any latency.

So it seems they have they developed their own new net code (Which it doesn't feel like delay-based) for the game. And I'm very happy about this response. As long as the game play smoothly, I don't care what type of method they are using.
      beanboy, -nero-, charleypk222 and 5 others like this.