1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

By Myke on Sep 25, 2020 at 9:37 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Announced at TGS2020 as part of SEGA's 60th Anniversary is a new project titled "Virtua Fighter x esports". Little is known at this stage, but details on the project will be revealed in a future update. What do you think it could be?

Virtua Fighter x esports.jpg

The official announcement via twitter:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

1. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      Screw low end remasters! We need something new. Final Showdown already had textures downgrade to be full HD 1080p

It was the first time VF wasn't on the top of cutting edge technolgy and arcade boards.
      I don't want a switch game.
      I want VF to continue AM2 cutting edge technologies..!

I want it to continue to be amazing. I want VF to continue to push the limits of fighting games.
      Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
      Sonic The Fighters and Tricky like this.
    2. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I personally want both. I think it makes a lot of sense to port the existing games first before trying to introduce something brand new. I also just really enjoy the existing games.
      beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    3. def
      def
      When is the next Fighter's Round Table featuring Sega? Hopefully we will hear something if anything on VF x Esports.
      SSfox likes this.
    4. Shoju
      Shoju
      Harada the Tekken producer mentioned Sega at Sunday's Fighting game developer round table. He said they weren't ready for this one but might be at the next one.
      beanboy and SSfox like this.
    5. Awildfife
      Awildfife
      They kinda look the same
    6. SSfox
    7. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
    8. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      They could Announce a VF 5 final Showdown Tournament like Puyo Puyo e sports.

Then build the Hype for VF6...
      MadeManG74 likes this.
    9. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Would be keen on that. But if they did, they'd need to announce a port first. Would be a bit strange to announce a VF5FS tournament and the only way to play it is on Xbox Series X via backwards compatibility.
      JCnextinc and Tricky like this.
    10. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      A little Graphical update would be cool too.

Some textures mappings are better on 2005 VF5 vanilla...
      :/
      SSfox likes this.
    11. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      After seeeing how they ruined Guilty Gear because of esport, I'm really losing hype for Virtua Fighter esports.

Also I don't expect a cutting edge graphics and tech from a F2P game.
      Hope they will surprise us, but I'm really worried we will get disappointed.
      beanboy likes this.
    12. VF2011
      VF2011
      How did they ruin GG? I don't play the game but I'm wondering what they changed to make it more esports focused.
    13. Emptyeyes
      Emptyeyes
      Arc Systems said that it's focus was to cater to the casual crowd by giving them a chance, so from what the gameplay offers and what the versatile has done with it, might be unappealing to a good portion of the hardcore crowd.

For me personally, I think ever since the deep rise of a difficulty barrier lowered and comeback mechanics since the revival of the genre over 10 years ago, the less satisfied the hardcore minority has been.

Even though I'm no longer dedicated to the genre, I still prefer more challenging gameplay, but this has long since passed when they introduced supers and implementing other comeback mechanics for the losing player.
    14. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I feel like developers completely miss the point when they change gameplay to 'attract casuals'. I think if you want to get a wider audience the first thing you need to do is create better single player content and 'casual' fun in the game, then work on better communication and/or tutorials to make it easier to learn for those that want to stick around.

Either way, focusing on eSports is such a broad statement, it could mean a lot of things. Virtua Fighter has been 'focused on eSports' since it was created in many ways.
    15. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      They simplified the gameplay to the point where it's not fun like before, they also removed various mechanics and in general the game has less depth and variety.
      Also to appeal to casuals they also changed the general style, like the user interface that seems like a mobile game now and it's very distracting during matches.

And while the game is aimed to casuals, for some reason it lacks the "quest mode" that was a tradition in the series, a strange choice. If anything if you aim to casuals you should add MORE single player content...

In the end it's the same thing that did with DOA6.
      Now only virtua Fighter remain for me, if they ruin even this I can say farewell to this genre :(
      beanboy likes this.
    16. def
      def
      Does anyone know when the next Fighter's Round Table is?
      beanboy and SSfox like this.
    17. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I don't believe it's been announced/worked out yet.
      SSfox likes this.
    18. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      Virtua Fighter 5 appear in the March 2021 Sega survey.

Things are moving.
      beanboy and def like this.
    19. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      As much as I liked seeing it there, it's been featured in a few surveys in the past. Still, let's upvote it as much as we can!
    20. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      In this case they included VF5 in particular between games of different genres and companies.
      It's "strange", well they are probably testing waters to see is VF franchise is still recognized by gamers among other series, in preparation for VF esports.
      beanboy likes this.