1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

By Myke on Sep 25, 2020 at 9:37 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Announced at TGS2020 as part of SEGA's 60th Anniversary is a new project titled "Virtua Fighter x esports". Little is known at this stage, but details on the project will be revealed in a future update. What do you think it could be?

Virtua Fighter x esports.jpg

The official announcement via twitter:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Ali
      Ali
      Fighting game genre isn't dying with T7 selling 6 millions and MK11 selling 8+ millions. It's a very profitable genre when done right and aimed at the right people.

Now it's not taken seriously, yes... With Evo dying and maybe gone forever ? ( I don't think any revival would be taken seriously and it's COVID days right now ...Soo... Maybe gone for good).

I don't think slapping a cringe infested story mode will bring sales to the VF.

VF selling 2 millions might be all the success it needs.
    2. Feck
      Feck
      Yeah, VF2 sold around that in Japan alone and it didn't need ultimates, rage mode, story mode, fidget spinners or whatever MK was doing at the time. This was also back in 1996, videogame market was a lot smaller back then.

I have no idea how well FS sold, though I remember someone from Sega on here said it sold well enough.

People act like sales is the only way to measure a FG's success but it's not. I'd rather see people turn up at events, whatever Sega can do to help there is what probably matters most.

VF5 and FS never drew big numbers here in the UK (apart from Sega cup).

Single player that boring po?

Personally I prefer how VF does it to other 3D fighters but you might have a point here.

When this announcement got made I searched around a bit to see what people had been saying about VF in the years I've been inactive and people really seem to dislike the floating animations during combos.
      Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
      masterpo likes this.
    3. Ali
      Ali
      I very much prefer the floating animation.... Despite to what people try to emphasize, VF isn't about realistic fighting experience/physics. Yes it's about realistic martial arts ( the moves in the games are rather more realistic than anything else aside from sport games) but the floating animation makes things simple and straight.

I wouldn't mind if they experiment with the game after all they have to refresh stuff , just save the story mode money for what really matters...the gameplay.
      Feck and masterpo like this.
    4. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Here's your VF6 bro;
      ufc-4-box-art.jpg
      Technocrow, masterpo and Feck like this.
    5. masterpo
      masterpo
      :ROTFL:

Yes, I actually play and very much enjoy UFC games. Some differences are UFC games have referees, judges, weight divisions, and they all occur in an octagon or boxing ring. The UFC games do feature pretty good combat sport animations and excellent physics. But they only focus on core mixed martial arts. You will not see in a UFC match:

• Monkey Kungfu
      • Tiger Swallow Fist
      • Kagakure-ryu Ju-Jutsu
      • Praying Mantis
      • Mizongyi
      • Shaolin Kung fu
      • Drunken Master Kung fu
      • Lucha Libre

All of these styles are in Virtua Fighter. And Virtua Fighter's matches take place in far more exotic locations than octagons. Also What UFC Fighters can wear during a match is pretty limited. Just look at the diversity and possibility for Virtua Fighter customizations. In addition to that men can fight the women, so there are no gender restrictions like there typically are in UFC games.

@Ali If you look at VF5FS it already has a bunch of stumble, stagger, side turn, and fall animations. So it wouldn't be a big deal to replace the remaining floating animations with a new kind of slip, stagger, back up, crunch, bend, side turn, stumble, or fall animation:whistle:
      This simple change would open VF up to a whole new market.:cool: In Virtua Fighter's case the floating animation is an antiquated concept and no longer necessary.

In fact, if AM2 were to swap out the floating animations they would immediately get a big chunk of the UFC market. Here's why, lots of players (I know cause I'm also in the UFC community) just like realistic fighting games They've tried Tekken, MK, DOA etc, but all of the floating and flying just takes them out of the fight immersion (I so agree!) . Many have tried Virtua Fighter and are only turned off by the juggles. If VF dropped the juggles or (disguised them) we would immediately pick up a big chunk of players. Sure about 65% of UFC players, play the UFC games because they like the sport and VF is no UFC. On the other hand between 20-30% of the players just like realistic FG and will play any realistic FG (e.g, Fight Night, UFC, WWE, Def Jam Fight For New York etc.)

I personally think that's the UFC market and the realism FG market are the best places where Virtua Fighter X e-sports can really pickup new players and new audiences. For these reasons:

• Many players in the UFC FG community are disappointed with the EA Sports Monopoly and have stopped playing the game or play it because its the only game in town. If there was a VF e-sports game that had no juggles, it would immediately draw many many players from that community who are looking for alternatives.
      • The players in the UFC FG community like the realism. They reject the fireballs, whirlwinds, flying, vanishing, time portal, pyro-technics and juggling of the arcade FG scene. The same goes for the kind of player that likes Def Jam Fight For New York, or Sleeping Dogs.
      • Virtua Fighter is unique. At the time of its release VF was considered a realistic combat simulator. Virtua Fighter was the original UFC. Its selling point was its realism (stagger, stumble animations weren't possible yet) VF was the most realistic Martial Arts fighting game you could play in arcades, console or PC (rag doll physics had not been invented yet). To this day Virtua Fighter is more realistic than any other Arcade Fighter, which is one of the reasons the VF community is not as large as SF, MK, Tekken, SC etc. If VF just wasn't so realistic the 2D FG community would like it soooo much better (n) VF just needs to shed that whole audience and not even try to go after those folks. Because they won't be happy until VF introduces magic, sparks, fireballs, iceballs, and tornadoes. VF should drop the juggle animations, push the realism to a practical limit and steal players away from the UFC FG community. The only reason why we have juggle and float animations is because rag doll physics, staggers, stumble animations were not invented or even possible when VF was first introduced.:cool:
      • There is a much bigger audience for realistic fighting games. The youtube UFC and Boxing streamers typically have much larger audiences, because you don't have to play UFC or Boxing games to understand the match. Many youtubers have subscribers that don't even play the UFC games but who like mixed martial arts. At times Virtua Fighter matches can look like a martial arts movie. And that's one of VF's strengths. Its beautiful to watch, and even non gamers can appreciate, understand , and are entertained by whats happening in a VF match. So streamers of a Virtua Figther X e-sports game would probably get viewers who don't play VF or any other video game but do like watching martial arts competitions and martial art movies.
      • Karate (think Cobra Kai), Tae kwon do, Judo, Full contact Kung Fu are making a come back and audiences are looking for alternatives to MMA or additions to MMA watching
      • The UFC video games include Kickboxing, Judo, Karate, Ju Jitsu, Wrestling, Muay Thai. We also have these styles in Virtua Fighter. So there is a legitimate percentage of UFC FG community that would buy and play a VF as a second fighting game if VF dropped the juggle animations.
      NO! I don't want VF to become a UFC game. I already have and play UFC games. Yes! I do believe that a pure (no nonsense) Virtua Fighter X e-sports game would be more appreciated by the UFC, realism FG community and general public, than it would be by the 2D, fireball, fantasy, power up arcade FG community.

Virtua Fighter is in the sweet spot between fantasy arcade fighting games, and combat sports simulators games. VF is to fantastic to be a combat sport simulator game, and its to realistic to be a fantasy arcade fighting game. If VF is going to move in any direction at all it should be more toward the realism side of things:sneaky:
      Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
      Junosynth likes this.
    6. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      No, it is not.
      Mainly b/c of one MAIN reason:
      EA UFC is a SIM game = game has ANALOG frame data (i.e. which is different for the same move during the match , based on Stamina, Endurance, Attributes and many other factors) = so, IMPOSSIBLE to math/count frame data with precise.

VF is an ARCADE game = has CONSTANT frame data = POSSIBLE to math/count dirct frame data numbers = 100% knowledge or results of the move and so your follow up = strategy.
    7. MarlyJay
    8. celsowm
      celsowm
      So, what your bets about the plataforms?
    9. nou
      nou
      Everything. I'm guessing a timed exclusive on the Xboxes/Windows Store, with MS throwing money at Sega recently for PSO2 and Yakuza: LAD next-gen.
    10. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Hard to say. Clearly Sony has some juggernauts. But Microsoft will have backwards compatibility... I think PS5 will be overall more powerful. But who knows?... Maybe Nintendo will finally be first for a change.. lol
      DomAug likes this.
    11. Superspacehero
      Superspacehero
      I think they will release vf5 final showdown with updated graphics(4k) on all new consoles, pc and arcades and where everyone can fight each other- for instance, pc players can meet arcade players.
    12. Berzerk
      Berzerk
      Hi all, first time posting in a while. There are only two innovations Sega needs for its new FS port (I agree this is the most logical step to start this program)

First, port to all major platforms. ideally Including the Switch (imagine what a hit a 3 button fighter would be there).

1. Rollback netcode
      2. Crossplay and cross save

That's it. The game is already great. A balance patch etc might be nice, and major updates to graphics, animation, presentation, story and modes might be great to do especially in a sequel, but the above two things are what's really needed for a new port.

So you get it on Xbox/PS/PC and you can play anyone with quality matches.
    13. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I agree with all of this. While Rollback would be ideal, I figure Sega probably won't do that because of the difficulty in implementing in a port of a 3D game? I remain hopeful.
      Crossplay would be fantastic. Do you know how much that relies on the platform holders vs the publisher/developer though? I would hate to see Sony/MS playing hardball to refuse it.
    14. BeastEG
      BeastEG
      I have to imagine at this point in time - not including well-implemented Rollback would be a death sentence for any FG regardless of franchise. Many people are sick of buying a game that effectively becomes unplayable after a couple of months because there just aren't enough people playing. I will never buy another game that doesn't have proven GGPO quality rollback. In addition, Rollback can be put into a 3D FG so there is basically no excuse at this point.

Cross play at this point is up in the air with Sony and Microsoft starting to throw corporate bombs at each other via purchasing up studios and making them platform exclusive.

VF5:FS could do with some re-balancing so maybe that's what they are promoting fundamentally? VF5:FS mechanically with just overhauled graphics and some re-balancing?

Hard to say at this point as I think many of us are just going to wait until we get concrete details since we've been teased before with nothing good. The bigger issue at this point is I wonder if they dug VF its own grave by not riding the hype initially and are trying to get in when all the oxygen has already been taken out of the room.
      Tricky and Technocrow like this.
    15. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I think that we/people that really care about netcode make up a small portion of the overall market. Probably about only 30% of buyers ever even go online with a fighting game (going off achievement rates on Steam, which probably has the most active online for fighting games), and even less play more than ~10 matches.
      Of those, many are probably just happy to play on WiFi across the globe and don't care about the quality of the connection. Even people on this forum are happy to play on WiFi/across oceans, and we're meant to be the most discriminating customers.

Having said that; I definitely want a better online experience, but I also don't think developers/publishers care very much. For a game that's more niche like Virtua Fighter, it's probably a bit more important, I'll concede.

VF5FS is so well balanced compared to any other game right now, that I think the risk of making any balance changes isn't worth it. I think they'd be more likely to make it worse than better at this point.
      beanboy and Marlow like this.
    16. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      NO JOKE, but for just a moment, I seriously got dizzy and a headache all at once trying to imagine that.:ROTFL::D:ROTFL::D
      Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
      Marlow and MadeManG74 like this.
    17. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      I have to say I'm one of those strange little people that rarely (if ever) plays FG's online. Too many bad experiences from salty players and elitist "pros" all to ready to critique and tell you in 5 paragraphs or less just how much you suck. Saying that though I do remember many sessions with @MarlyJay and @Seidon teaching me some cool tech.

Has there been any other news regarding this xesports thing? Are we closer to understanding just what Sega have planned?
    18. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Not yet. Considering it was a teaser, we'll probably get some details by end of the year, but nothing yet.

Also I'm with you. I just don't enjoy playing fighters online. I play other stuff online, but a big part of fighting games for me is playing offline with friends.
    19. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      I laughed when I read this, but my top 3 would be as follows:

1. Getting tkod in vr mode.
      2. Getting tft’ed in vr mode.
      3. Getting perfect gs in vr mode.

Hope it comes with a vr vomit bag??
      Rodnutz and Feck like this.
    20. SSfox
      SSfox
      Crossplay won't be issue i think, MK11 is gonna have crossplay starting 17/11, which make me think the "Sony X MS don't want cross" thing is something from the past, if any dev want to implement crossplay from now on it's possible and depends on them if they want to do it or not.