1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VirtuaFighter Tournament in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Moby, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Heard from many contacts in Hong Kong that Sony of Hong Kong has held their first EVER VF tournament there! The prize up for grabs is $5000 HK (roughly $1000 Cdn), plus a PS2. $3000 for second place, and $2000 for third place. You get a VF4 poster just for signing up, and signup is free.

Apparently there are 4 total entry tourneys to weed out all the potential wannabes, with 8 finalists on each weekend... because there were a LOT of people: <font color=orange>65</font color=orange> people at the first tourney alone (this weekend)! Only 3 Vanessas participated out of all of them though. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif This makes a total of 32 people that make the "final" tournament.

The final 8 from this weekend include a Lei Fei, Akira, Jacky and Shun. Since the tourney was played on PS2's, there is a possibility of matches being recorded on memory cards. If I get my hand on these, I'll let VFDC know and put up a link. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Also, I heartily welcome any participants of the tourney in Hong Kong to post here their impressions of the gameplay and tourney atmosphere!

2. Ian Mak

Ian Mak New Member

Hi, just some more information for you guys.

The tournament is indeed held by Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong, but the organizers are just some very young people that are not familiar with VF. They don't even have sticks for us so we need to bring our own VF4 stick. The first tournament is ok with about 32 people participated. All players are allowed to use thier own character from their memory card. The 2nd tournament last weekend had about 64 people attended and "due to lack of time", we are forced to play 2 out of 3 matches and with only 30 seconds per round. This sucks of course since Shun users are screwed with this settings.

Anyway the result so far is pretty predictable. Arcade VF4 players win most of the finalist spots and I am one of them too. Unfortunately no matches are recorded on the memory card. We didn't take any movies neither. However I maybe able to record some matchs in the final scheduled in mid-April.

3. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Hey Ian!

Do you know Kim Cheng? He's an Aoi player who was in HK form Dec-Feb!

4. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Hi Ian!

How many PS2s did they provide for 32 and 64 contestants. Just want a good feedback on this.

5. hananokeiji

hananokeiji Well-Known Member

hi all!

In the beginning of the tourny, we are supposed to play with joypads, and no memory card usage in order to be "fair" (well don't ask me about what they are thinking) After a long wave of whining and booing, we finally get the option to use the joysticks of the participants. (thanks to those who are generous enough to share their joysticks) but at least we get to use the "official" VF joysticks. :p

As for the tourny, there aren't too many Lei Fei's around. (i think there are only 2. one used by a Tronal (i might be wrong with the name.. sorry about that.) who became one of the finalist for that day. The other one was used by a 7-8 year old who was one of the youngest participants. (well, he is not a button smasher and he seems to know what he is doing. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)
    Too bad i only got to chat with Tronal for only a short bit. really wanna play him sometime.

yeah, but it really sucks that the shun players cannot get sober up with only 2 rounds. it was quite unfair. but i must say, i saw few shuns in action and they are quite good.

Lau, Jacky, Sarah and Lion were the most used characters during the tourny. (well i was using a Jacky :p) there were only about 3 who used Aoi, and i think only about 1 kage (to my surprise). There were only about 3 venessa. (two were my friends) Their Venessa's are awesome! but too bad it is just a pain that people gotta play only for 2 rounds. I was playing Jacky and i lost in the second round to my sister Sarah. well have to give her the first round as the big brother lol~~! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif (the Sarah's user has a nick of God of Liberty "Jee Yau Shen" and i think he ended up to be one of the finalist as well)

last but not least. it was a very good start for the VF community in hk. i really wish the same could be done for tekken. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

there's indeed someone who was taping the match!!!! i am sure about that because she is a cute girl hahahhaha. but i dont think she is working for sony. who knows, we might get some footage in the future.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Jee Yau Shen"

That's gotta be one of the coolest nick ever. Very cool nick.

7. hananokeiji

hananokeiji Well-Known Member

lol! those guys were chanting his name when he plays.... almost sounded like a cult haha.

actually, one additional info. as for the VF tourny, people who lost that day can come back for a rematch next week...... too bad i can't go. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

8. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

darn, I wish Heihachi knows DLC. :p

<hr></blockquote>

haha, i think thats not in his teachings. maybe f,f+3, f,N,d,D/F+4,4,1, d+1...but no dlc....lol.

BTW,

whos going to fly me to hong kong just because they want to, EH??? j/k.....definitely/versus/images/icons/crazy.gif