1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual On thread: videos, discussion, etc

Discussion in 'General' started by neoKEN, May 11, 2011.

1. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Man, I miss this game (fond memories of a Dreamcast). Is Sega planning to do anything with this franchise? It was awesomely awesome for its time. I remember being pure garbage at it, but lord was it fun.

Chanchai likes this.
  2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

They probably are leaving the future of Sega Arcade Mech games in the hands of Border Break... which actually looks fun, but it wasn't brought here (unless I missed out).

I am glad they brought both VOOT and VO4 (aka Virtual-On Force, aka Virtual On 4 Players, aka not the 4th VO game lol) to 360 though!

A new Virtual On would be awesome, but I don't think that's happening.

3. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Specineef FTW

Shag and Chanchai like this.
  4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

Madman's Cafe, TK's Saturn Page

woooow i havent heard of those pages in yeeeeears! truly real gaming pages

Chanchai likes this.
  5. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I've always loved VO, but I when got the XBL download, I got depressed on how much I sucked at the game..... :/

but seeing some of these videos really make me want to try the game out again! Cypher is so much fun

Chanchai likes this.
  6. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

TKs was my fave, loved the Saturn era... Miss those days when Japanese gaming was in a healthier state.

http://thejstickbuilder.angelfire.com/VOOT_411_Ver_VONET_2012/index.htm

The site caters towards beginners, and should help you out if you read thoroughly.

Tricky, BLACKSTAR and Chanchai like this.
  7. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    VO fan reporting. :)

What's the situation with X360 offline for this game? If I recall you couldn't do either vertical or horizontal split. System link is doable right?

cobratron and Chanchai like this.
  8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

This will help me play the game like it was supposed to be played. Sweet.

Chanchai likes this.
  9. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    I think i will get this game again today. Who is down for a session sometime this week?

Chanchai likes this.
  10. Tricky

Friday or tomorrow morning?

11. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    No chemo for me this week so yep. Friday works!

12. Tricky

13. Chanchai

Just to let you guys know, the forums at oratan.com have a good thread about explaining some of the basics you should know about VOOT.
    http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78

Here is Chanchai's tips (off the top of his head but he's sure he can come up with way more):
    • Vectoring is important in all VO and Gundam Vs. games.
    • Jump-Cancelling for quick lock on and cancelling certain things is important to know.
    • Watari-Dash is VOOT specific and good to know (you can change the direction of your dash 90 degrees). Also don't forget curving your dashes too. Yep, you can stair step in VOOT!
    • When you're comfortable with watari-dash, it's good to learn how to weave through and around common attack patterns by your enemy.
    • Melee matters in VOOT, though it depends on who you are fighting against. Vectoring and long range are more important at first though.
      • The Auburn/Seattle VOOT players were, imo, the unofficial masters of Melee VOOT and were able to consistently combo with techniques like Swallow's Tail. You had to learn how to block, throw, and enter/exit melee when fighting them. I've never seen videos that play like they did and it was a legitimate style of play! They played all ranges, but they stood out because their melee game was scary and made you realize that VOOT plays like a fighter as well.
    • VO is a forward-biased game in design. Whatever you are doing, you generally do it better when you are moving in a forward direction. The more you stray from forward, including diagonals, the weaker your options are. This applies to almost EVERYTHING. Front > back. Forward > backward. Diagonal forward > sideward. etc....
    • Every button is different. Seriously, right turbo is different from left turbo.
    Sadly, I'm not in the mood to play until I get twinsticks going with the game... but I so want to be playing my VOOT soon. And the game is playable in the pad, but my brain hates the rewiring... it's worse than going to 360 pad on VF for me... I might break down and force myself to play on pad for awhile. I was at least somewhat competent playing on pad on Dreamcast....

14. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Actually the game is very playable on xbox pad. I prefer the dreamcast pad however but Im just a casual player. I dont take the game too seriously

15. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

i always thought watari dashing would be hard to do on a pad...is it? and how is it done?

Tricky likes this.
  16. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I actually never thought to see if this was possible on 360....anyone know?

17. Catch22

I second Chan's assertion that melee or "close quarters combat" is often an overlooked aspect of VOOT. Obviously, Battler excels at this because of its range, but most VRs can cause huge damage.

You usually want to dash towards an opponent who has jumped, and is about to land. Time it correctly, and it's major damage.

Some don't realize that there are a ton of melee options- like sidestepping, blocking, jumping, and low sweeping melee attacks.

Also realize, melee attacks are only available when your VR is in range, which varies from VR to VR.

Exact ranges are detailed here:
    http://thejstickbuilder.angelfire.com/VOOT_411_Ver_VONET_2012/cqc.htm

I encourage all beginners to try this as its actually fun "hunting."

Chanchai likes this.
  18. Catch22

I broke down yesterday and bought the VO4 Sticks on EBay. You can bring down the price to $500 if you offer that, which is what I did. I also got 10%off with a coupon from eBay for using the mobile eBay app... Total $450... Free shipping, gaping hole in wallet. Can't wait to test it.

Chanchai likes this.
  19. Chanchai

Can't wait for your review! The VO4 one does look better than the VOOT stick (the VOOT Stick looks like a HRAP re-tooled lol, the VO4 is a beast of a twinstick). That said, I kind of wish they had a different aesthetic, but at least the VO4 one looks like it won't break.

I think many people remember the constant maintenance required on the DC Twinstick unless you wanted to just accept playing with sticks that fell a lot.

20. Chanchai

Just press the direction you want to change the dash to. Assuming you're using the D-Pad to control directional movement, then if you dash to the right, you can watari up or watari down, just tap it and you will dash in that direction.

For example, to stair-steer: right+(any)turbo --> up --> right --> up

Caution: I haven't played VOOT in ages so I could be off on details. I'll get home late tonight but I'll probably play on pad tonight just to feel out the game again. For example, I can't actually remember if you can watari 45 degrees, part of me thinks you can but I'm actually uncertain since it's been so long lol.