1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VOOOOOOOOT!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ghostdog, May 28, 2001.

1. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Well, I finally gave in to temptation and bought VOOT (Virtual On Oratorio Tangram) a few days ago. Does anybody on this board play VOOT?
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated. One problem I'm having is keeping the enemy onscreen. Jumping up and cancelling gives a brief view, but it moves so fast that I have a hard time keeping up.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hey Ghostdog,

I highly recommend you visit <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sydvoc.com>SYDVOC</A> and put your question to the forum.

But just quickly -- Keeping your sights on the opponent can be tricky, especially if his sole purpose is to keep out of your sights. You'll have to use a combination of jump cancels to get a lock, and then various dash and jump cancels to keep it. Firing while dashing will also center your sights on the opponent.

It also depends on how far out of sight the opponent is from view. If say they've dashed behind you, you'll have no choice but to jump cancel to regain a quick visual (or alternatively, try to vector them with a dash). But if say they're on the other side of the stage and have only dashed out of view, then a quick turn on the spot or while walking should get you a fix.

Now while all of this is happening, you'll no doubt have to avoid enemy fire. The CPU is probably a good starting point for practice. Play a few games where you try to keep the CPU in your sights and at the same time, try not to get hit.

Good luck. And again, SYDVOC is the place for these kind of questions.

3. ghostdog

Thanks, Myke.

I highly recommend you visit SYDVOC and put your question to the forum.

Why didn't I think of that? Headed there now.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Listen to Myke...he knows his stuff on VOOT.
    Btw, who do u use?

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN~~~'

5. ghostdog

Back in the day, when I played Virtual On, I used Raiden.
    In VOOT, I use Temjin. I'd like to try Specineff next, and work my way up to the big guys.
    Do you play VOOT?

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

yup...not hardcore..just causal

Playing alot of ZOE and MGS2 demo now...

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN~~~'

7. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Just to add on to what Myke has posted:

One of the members of SYDVOC.com, DLC, had created an update to his VOOT FAQ and sent it to GameFAQs (www.gamefaqs.com). It may be best for you to check that one out since you're playing the Dreamcast version of VOOT.

Also, here's a couple more VOOT sites you can check out:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/asteroids/700/content.htm>Singapore VOC</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://reactor-core.org/vo/Replays/>VO Replays</A>

Kruza

8. ghostdog

One of the members of SYDVOC.com, DLC, had created an update to his VOOT FAQ and sent it to GameFAQs (www.gamefaqs.com).

Gamefaqs.com was one of the first places I went to, so I've already seen it. But I'll refer back to it as I get further into VOOT.
    The Singapore VOC site seems helpful, lots of info for the VOOT newbie. But I'm having trouble downloading the VO replays. *sigh*
    Thanks for the info.

9. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Viewing VOOT replays

Well, you can view the replays of the ones in DCI format via Dreamkey Browser (included in Chu Chu Rocket, F355 Challenge, Jet Grind Radio, among certain other games) or through the standard PlanetWeb Browser versions 2.0 and higher. Have you tried doing both of these methods yet?

Kruza

10. ghostdog

Re: Viewing VOOT replays

Well, you can view the replays of the ones in DCI format via Dreamkey Browser (included in Chu Chu Rocket, F355 Challenge, Jet Grind Radio, among certain other games) or through the standard PlanetWeb Browser versions 2.0 and higher.

Dreamkey browser? PlanetWeb Browser? I'm not trying to be mean-spirited or anything, but I don't understand any of this! Please, enlighten me, as I am FAAARRR from computer literate./versus/images/icons/frown.gif

11. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Dreamkey browser = software used to get DC users onto the net.

12. ghostdog

Dreamkey browser = software used to get DC users onto the net.

OK, at the risk of asking a stupid question, would I need a DC keyboard?
    And where would I find the Dreamkey browser? Sorry if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

kruza already answered your question :p

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

--proud member of CvfC--

[​IMG]

14. ghostdog

Oops. Looks like you're right, Piccolo. Sorry everyone./versus/images/icons/blush.gif
    Thanx for being patient.

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hehe..take Raiden and get REALLY GOOD with using his middle weapon and to back dash...great against humans.....

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

16. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Downloading procedure of VMU files:

Heh, my bad. I thought you were already familiar with downloading VMU files that's set in VMI/VMS format. Anyway, here goes an explanation:

1. Connect your Dreamcast to the phone jack.
    2. Make sure to have a VMU with available memory space attached to your DC controller.
    3. Put in either the PlanetWeb GD or any Dreamcast games that includes the Dreamkey Browser.*
    4. Connect to your ISP by pressing down on the left analog trigger and selecting 'Connect'.
    5. Once you're connected, go to the VOOT replays page.
    6. Select the 'VMI/VMS combination' format of all the replays you want to see and save it onto your VMU(s).
    7. When finished, exit the page and disconnect.
    8. Fire up VOOT with the VMU inside Slot 1 of controller A, and you're all set!

* Like uk_kid and myself said, the Dreamkey Browser is included in some games. The games I mentioned before, plus Skies of Arcadia, and some others. You can get to the Dreamkey Browser by going to the 'Homepage' option within the main menu. The PlanetWeb Browser is included on every demo GD-ROM that came with those Official Dreamcast Monthly (ODCM) magazines. If you have one of these GDs, you're all set.

If you have any more questions about this procedure, let me know.

Kruza

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kruza on 05/31/01 09:48 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

17. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: Downloading procedure of VMU files:

DCI files can be read through the standard "DC on the net" way of attaining files? I thought using a DC to obtain files, you would have to use .vmi files.

Originally, DCI is a third party standard by nexus (I think). Nexus memory cards with PC link cables are able to upload these files to a VMU (from PC) through some programs. InterAct's Massive Memory Card also supports the DCI standard through the use of its own program.

Do the more recent browsers actually support DCI?! If so, that would be great!!! Less work for me on some of the DC file sites I've been trying to get to work on. As far as I know though, direct DC is .vmi (and another, .vms I think) only.

-Chanchai

18. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Oops!

You're right, Chanchai. I just got my letters mixed up here, heh. What I explained before is for VMS and VMI files, not DCI ones. Sorry for the confusion here, guys.

Ghostdog, you still can follow the procedure that I posted before. The difference is that you have to select which type of format you want the VMU files to be in. Just make sure you select 'VMI/VMS combination' type -- not 'DCI' -- when following this procedure. I'll edit that post for you in order to make your job somewhat easier.

Kruza

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kruza on 05/31/01 09:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hehe..take Raiden and get REALLY GOOD with using his middle weapon and to back dash...great against humans.....

Back dashing, in general, will get you killed as it leaves you open to virtually every vector possible, and is not something I'd recommend to anyone let alone someone starting out.

When it comes to your posts Josh:

"Stupidity can be anticipated, and assured"

20. ghostdog

Hey Myke

Back dashing, in general, will get you killed as it leaves you open to virtually every vector possible, and is not something I'd recommend to anyone let alone someone starting out.

I've read enough by now to know that back dashing is not a good strategy (how's that for an understatement). By the way, I've been trying to keep the enemy in my sights and staying out of the line of fire like you suggested. Easier said than done, but I'm getting the hang of it. Again thanks for the info.

"Stupidity can be anticipated, and assured"

Ouch. That made me laugh almost as much as Chanchai's Bruce Lee shockwave post! Nothing personal against Josh, but that's just funny!
    Later