1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VS. mode - can both players load file from Card 1?

Discussion in 'Console' started by JesusFreak, Mar 29, 2002.

1. JesusFreak

JesusFreak New Member

My wife and I have unique saved characters on Memory Card1. When we go to play VS, I hit select to load my character and it works fine. When she hits select (she is Player2) the PS2 looks to the Memory Card 2 to load her character.

Is there any way for both of us to load our saved character files from Memory Card 1?? I'm hoping I just missed something simple...

Asher

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

This was also asked in another thread.

After loading your character, move the mem card over to slot 2 so that your wife can use hers. It's more convenient with 2 memory cards, one for each player. Failing to have the option to load from either memory card slot is a bad oversight on Sega's part.

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a oversight...
    call me hardcore or anything..but it's supposed to stimulate the VF.Net access card, which is ur personalised card~ /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'll have to agree with Yupa that it's definitely an oversight. The inconvenience of always needing to swap around memory cards from slot 1 to slot 2 when it's your turn to play is a right royal pain. It would have been so much easier to be able to load your character data from either slot, and would have taken what, an extra one or two lines of code?

The time wasted in swapping cards back and forth, coupled with the time required to actually save data to both cards after every match makes me and my friends wonder if it's worth trying to recreate the VFnet experience in the home. In my mind, the PoS2 just doesn't cut it.

Is any decently sized (3 - 5) group that plays regularly actually doing this? I'm just curious.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Is any decently sized (3 - 5) group that plays regularly actually doing this? I'm just curious.

Yes. Everybody in our group uses individual memory cards specifically for VS play stats and rankings (i.e. separate from Kumite mode characters).

The character save/load times are a pain, no doubt about it, but to alleviate this issue, we play a set of 5 matches when there are 3 players in the group, and a set of 3 matches if there are 4 or more players. (Some of us have already accumulated 300-500 VS matches this way =)

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Good suggestion Chris. Do you kick the loser off once someone has won 3 matches, or do you play the entire 5 match set everytime?

I prefer playing in arcade mode so that the winner is stuck with the same character over a win streak, but that causes the lag of going to the character select screen after every match...

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The character save/load times are a pain, no doubt about it, but to alleviate this issue, we play a set of 5 matches when there are 3 players in the group, and a set of 3 matches if there are 4 or more players.

That's what we've been doing too, best of 5 matches, but there are times when almost every set goes for a full 5 matches, and if there's 2 or 3 people before you, you could end up waiting 10 - 15 games before your turn. Multiply that by PoS2's loading time and data saving and you can imagine why we don't do this anymore. Doing best of 3 matches was more tolerable, but still, not quite the arcade experience in my books.