1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

waking life

Discussion in 'General' started by chingdude, Apr 18, 2002.

1. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

dudes~

waking life is the best movie i've seen in a long time. a summary of the movie i read in the arts & entertainment section of my local newspaper described it as being, "[paraphrasing here] a meditation on the meanings of life, death, dreams and an examination of the nature of reality" or something like that. the movie basically segues through several scenes of philosophical discussion that touch on everything from lucid dreaming to http://www.wakinglifemovie.com

[​IMG]
    <font color=yellow>the ongoing wow is happening now, my nizzidges!~</font color=yellow>

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Can't say I'm exactly sold on this whole transhumanism thing, but this movie, Waking Life, really intrigues me and I'll definitely be looking out for it.

The rotoscaping adds such a surreal effect to it, too.

3. caltrop

caltrop Member

Anybody know when Waking Life is coming out on DVD? I saw Ebert's review of it on TV a while back. I really wanted to see it but it was never playing at any theaters near me.

4. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

5/7 for DVD release.../versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

btw, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte484v/wakinglife.html>this site</a> has a transcript of most of the dialogue and some commentary on the various scenes.

dialogue from one of my favorite scenes:
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Wiley walks into the convenient store.

Bill: What's the word, turd?
    Wiley: Hey, do you also drive a boat-car?
    Bill: A what?
    Wiley: Like, you gave me a ride in a car that was also a boat.
    Bill: No man, I don't have a..uh, boat car. I don't know what you're talking about. Man, this must be like parallel universe night. You know that cat that was just in here? just ran out the door? Well, he comes up to the counter, you know, and I say, "What's the word, turd?" and he lays down this burrito, and he kinda looks at me, kinda stares at me, and says, "I have but recently returned from the Valley of the Shadow of Death. I am rapturously breathing in all the odors and essences of life. I've been to the brink of total oblivion. I remember and foment the desire to remember everything."
    Wiley: Sooo...what'd you say to that?
    Bill: Well, I mean, what could I say? I said, "If you're going to microwave that burrito, I want you to poke holes in the plastic wrapping, cause they explode, and I'm tired of cleaning up your little burrito doings, you dig me?"
    Wiley starts walking out.

Bill: Cause the jalapenos dry up. They're like little wheels...

<hr></blockquote>

/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Waking Life is an amazing movie to see. I was lucky enough to see an advance screening for the film last summer, and the experience was unforgettable. Imagine groups of uptight, conservative Minnesotans shuffling out of the theatre because there isn't any explosions of naked chicks. After the 20th person walked out on the movie, I stopped counting. Which means, of course, Waking Life rocks. Between this and the recent release of the new Metropolis, I'd say it's a great time for animated films.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I actually saw it at my local one-stop shopping store ("Fred Meyer's" think of it as something similar as an expanded Target). Not the movie, but that the DVD has already been released. Haven't had a chance to see the movie yet though.

-Chanchai