1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

was ka vf fan, alrighty

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BlueFlash, Jul 24, 2001.

1. BlueFlash

BlueFlash Active Member

Hello all,
    yes, this is the guy who is angry at times about people who don't appreciate the VF series, anyways, what's up. I wanted to know, Are their any martial artists in here? If so, what is your style and who is your teacher?

Some things I like about VF series:
    -Based on realistic martial arts techniques and movements, except for floating concept.
    -Awesome character designs and personalities, although lion is sort of stuggling,......as well as lau, in vf4 that is
    -My favorite characters are
    Jacky, because his style is simple, and he is just too damn cool,...
    -Lau since he practices a traditional Southern kung fu system, like myself (well, I'm not totally sure if it's traditonal, but it uses techniques),...
    -Akira and Jeffry both are people I can't use for crap and I vowed that I will learn them in VF4. They arer f***** awesome, and Jeffry looks big as s***!

Well, that's my random thoughts for the night,...peace.

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

It took me all three past games to decide on my character (Sarah) so I wish you luck on choosing. To be honest I don't believe in being a master of multiple characters. You may reach a point where you can do any move at any time etc. But I believe you have to learn a sence of connection with your character's style and think of situations that only your one unique character can do. It doesn't matter how hard you think Jeffery and Akira are to learn. You should choose the character to you want and stick with him/her. I say this because the further the series moves on the further the gap between characters is. In VF1, Sarah was a female version of Jacky, in VF2 you could play either one with average success. But from VF3 to now 4 they're completely different, even their shared moves (kickflip, shin slicer) are completely different. We all had to start somewhere in the game so the longer you leave it the harder it will be for you.

Adio.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

(Based on realistic martial arts techniques and movements, except for floating concept.)
    That was exactly the point why i've appreciated VFseries for 8 years. I'm particularly interested in Akira's style since i used to practice it in Thailand when i was young. The correct name of Akira's style is " Ba Chi Chuan" (in Mandarin tongue) but in the game they call it after Japanese. The original of this kung-fu was in the northern part of China. It's truly a deadly kungfu and was believed to be practiced by body guards of the last emperor and even the emperor himself practiced this kungfu( for pleasure i guess)
    Anyway, i love Akira but i ain't no good player of Akira. Jeffery seems more effective for me (but i miss his round belly in vf 3)

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Too each their own. Everyone has someone in VF I love that. And no, I'm glad Jeffery got his groove on and went to the gym. The chicks dig a 6 pack LOL.

Adio.

5. Chrisdaggimoh

Chrisdaggimoh Member

I've been a fairly inconsistent dabbler in the VF series of late, but recently me and my bro have been playing a whole lot of VF3tb, and I agree with this post - the realism seems to do it for me.
    I am a keen SF player, Tekken player and Soul Calibur player, but when i compare them to Virtua fighter, VF's play dynamics seem like the triple-distilled, ultra concentrate strength essence of what fighting games ultimately are.

When I play I have to come clean and say that I mostly use Jacky, it may be the scrub in me, but when I play as Akira, having to wrestle with (comparitively) awkward joystick commands puts me off. If I am going to pit my wits against another player, I want the game to be just that, a duel of our minds against each other, not of me against a joystick.

Here come the flames....:)

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I'll put my torch down but, there are NO Scrub characters just scrub players anyone can be played with super finesse of ultra cheapness. "Eddy Gordo" is a foreign concept to a VFer. I used to get "looks" when I would select Sarah, then I would moonsult around their sorry arses and kickflip them to hell etc. Everyone will admit that some characters are easier to grasp but, to sound like a broken record "mastering that character is another thing" so just practice and you'll soon see the divide between the skilled and the scrubs.

Adio.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>In VF1, Sarah was a female version of Jacky

uh, dude, no she wasn't. sarah is about 90% weaker than jacky in vf1. jacky had the punt kick, EK, PPEK, the LBF, and he could actually float you, whereas sarah was lucky if she got her PK to connect.

they're entirely different in all of the games.

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

No I dispute that. They played very alike to me. Yes Sarah was weaker than jacky but, he in turn was slower. I used them in the same way ie: P,P,K, and Elbow Kickflip. my point was that each new episode has seen them take further and further leaps in different directions. Though both their styles are geared towards rushing with multiple moves (more Sarah's forte) and heights (more so with Jacky) their methods in getting that result are near alien in comparison now. Don't be so anal. I'm talking about tactics which can be as unique as the player who devises them. Not execution.

Adio.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Adio on 07/24/01 03:09 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

you may be talking about "tactics which can be as unique as the player who devises them". i'm talking about reality. high level vf play is like a crucible and burns off most rolled combos and weak moves, and by the end of the lifetime of the game, each character is limited to only a select few moves which are used by a competent player.

jacky is hands down the most powerful character in vf1. he is all but invincible if you use him right. sarah is bottom tier. practically all of her moves have horrible recovery, and if any are blocked, she's hurting. and if you're talking purely aesthetics...the majority their moves, even in vf1, looked different and they all had very different properties (animations, recovery times, etc).

PPK and elbow-kickflipping? um...i don't think a high level vf'er has be as much of a nitpicker like me to say both are almost useless as stand alone attacks in any vf game. elbow-kickflip could work in vf2 for jacky, where there was some reward in the risk, but usually he didn't have enough iniative for it to work anyway.

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Fair enough Mr Bungle. Though at any level I will always use the moves I believe best suit the situation even if they're reckless. Regardless of the risk.

The effectiveness of the Bryants is not in dispute here. I used them in the same way regardless of their own strengths. That wasn't too smart but, I was no where as good both as a tactician and as a player then as I am now.

It's ultimately about fun and, for me, looking good while you win. I'm not going to do P, P, P or Elbow Knee whatever just because it's safe. That gets tiring. Besides, at high levels shouldn't one have the skill to be able to use their moves of choice with relative ease?

Adio.

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Adio, just keep in mind that because you use different characters the same, doesn't mean they are identical or even close to each other. It reflects the path you chose with them, not the valid tactics or strengths that benefit them. I can't judge the way you play because I've never played you, but I am one of those that feel that Jacky and Sarah were very, very different throughout the series. In fact, extremely different in VF1.

As for high levels.... I don't consider myself a high level player, but my impression is that a high level player knows how to read the situation enough to figure out what would work in that situation as opposed to picking his/her move of choice. If that person has a move of choice, that's fine, but that person is required to create the situation for it, and it usually requires some work and attention. Mr. Bungle here has a reputation for nailing people with kickflips (even when they know it's coming), but I don't think he goes around doing it all the time because he wants to whenever he wants to. He has to build that situation and read the situation to assure him that his chances are pretty good to nail those damn things. He also has to know the limits to how he sets these things up.

Do you really use the moves that you believe best suits the situation, or do you use the moves you would like to work in the situation?

The more I play VF, the more I believe in flowing with the game. Which is very different from forcing the game. The flow of the game guides me, while I improvise accordingly to create my own side of the match. It's art/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

P.S. Any good note can become a very bad note when forced.

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. To answer your question it's a bit of both. I'll react according to what the game requires of me but I will always go for my moves of choice when I feel I can get them to work. Did that make any sence?