1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What a strange night...

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by yuckysocks, Jun 16, 2002.

1. yuckysocks

yuckysocks Member

Foof.... /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif So my buddy and I made dragon lord tonight, and started our way through the twenty consecutive wins needed to get to the coveted high king... and two very od things happened (as well as us getting 14 victories, almost there...). the first one was getting an item of aoi's that we never thought we would: her small drum. it's listed in the item faq as being her 100 win item, but i know for a fact that we have no more than 30 wins in a row, and only 300 total. could there be another way to gain it? i don't remember the name, but we won it off of the Aoi who also gave us the red kabuki wig. <shrug>. the next strange occurence came when we were fighting a lion dragon lord called (i think) nerdy lion, and it came down to match 5. our style of play relies heavily on ringouts from either the ying yang stance or [1], [P]+[G] (i think we have 20% of our wins or so from ro's) sohe was in position and i think my friend did her double kick forward... and both characters ended up landing at the same time. i've seen this happen before, but since it was never in the last match it always awarded one win to each character. this being the rubber match, the ps2 did something i've never seen before: it entered sudden death mode. we entered round 5 again, and we had no visible health in our bars, so just one hit to win. of course he did a [2], [K]+[G] to end it quickly, but it really caught us off guard and neither of us had heard about this happening before. anyone else care to share interesting stories about sudden death or other rarely seen kumite scenarios, or offer any insight into our small drum gift tonight? thanks for your replies

2. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

"Sudden Death" isn't that rare or strange... since VF2 (maybe VF1, can't remember) it's been how a first round draw is resolved. I think VF2 used to make the ring really small as well. But it's basically "first strike wins".

You have to be careful with ring-outs, as you obviously found out. Aoi's [1]+[P][G] is pretty safe, but if you're "pushing" someone out of the ring (e.g., with [6]+[K],[K]) it's pretty easy to float them too high and end up hitting the ground first yourself, thereby losing (or drawing).

Good luck on the path to High King.

grib.
    (the only Jeffry player?)