1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your VF strategies?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by MotherTrucker, Apr 21, 2002.

1. MotherTrucker

MotherTrucker Member

Just wondering. To me it looks as if everyone tries to go for those big combos, which I see nothing wrong with and to be something that I need to do more.

Most of the time though, with my friend (the only one in all of San Diego that plays that game) and in the Kumite and arcade mode, I like to try to play tricky.

I do a lot of moves. I try not to do the same thing a lot. I mix things up and do the most off the wall moves. I side step a lot, throw, pummel, grab, throw, pummel, cancel a move, control and vary the speed of all the moves and combos. I vary everything. I use Moves that cover a lot of distance and use heavy-quick-knock-down kicks and punches. I also use of short easy moves that don't leave you open for so long. And I am always always looking for that opening to capitalize on. It's the best strategy and it works most of the time. Being unpredictable and playing those mind games on your opponents, while looking for that moment to capitalize, seems to be the best thing to do.

I was just curious with how everyone else plays. There are not that many VF players that I know of in San Diego. Just me and my friend. So it gets pretty boring playing him in VF. I'm sooo used to playing him that if I tried to play someone else I'd probably lose to you all.

2. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>Who do you use? Openings and combos can vary according to your personal style and character choice... Using Vanessa, I like an opening like:

db+K+G -> P,P,P,K -> d+K -> d+K

twice during a match to see what level my opponent is at. It goes from high to low and it's a pretty well known attack sequence by Vanessa. If you get blocked, you go into poke mode. If you connect with the db+K+G and make the rest of the combo work, you can open it up for more creative expression.</font color=yellow>

3. MotherTrucker

MotherTrucker Member

Most of the time I like to use Jacky, I usually start hard and with a spinning move or a move that homes in and chases the opponent down. I also use stupid moves like a k,k to force a counter out of the guy(most of the time they will, like I know an Akira would try to palm me or something), then I side step and then knee 'em and combo their ass six ways from sunday. I also back up a lot too. I always keep my distance from them. I usually use this strategy for like Kage and Shun, the only three guys that I've kinda mastered. One thing I really need to work on is the fast get-up. Sooo useful.

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

My strategy is to try and receive less damage then I inflict on my opponent .
    Works surprisingly well iff I manage to pull it off .

5. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

my strategy is to learn how the player plays then play based upon their weakness. finding ways to follow (combo) and set up on every single hit is also a good strategy..

6. Harlock

Harlock Member

What part of San Diego do you live in? North County? I live in Temecula, southern Inland Valley. I have the exact same problem that you do, only one person to play. Once you learn their style it is often hard to adapt to others.

I know of the San Diego Tekken Club, perhapes we should try and start a San Diego county VF club.

7. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

to win.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

In tekken i used to be a mid to long range fighter who would try to slowly set up situations to my advantage, aswell as capitalize on whiffs and mistakes. Very reactive and fairly defencive.

In virtua fighter my style is changing alot. The game gives you much more incentive to be aggressive than tekken did. My current characters are Vanessa and Akira (with wolf and lion in the wings) and with them i apply nearly constant pressure. I stay on the person so often, except for incidents when i need some space to set up something brutal. Vanessa stances allow me to change the look and flow of my aggressiveness so the opponent never gets a proper feel for what i will do next, while akira.. well akira is just a beast.

If you can gain the upperhand, and some frame advantage, by all means take advantage. Learn the hit ranges, and heights of all your moves, and even if you dont know their frame rates, at least understand their relative speed to something like a low punch.

On the topic of low punches, i see them alot, but luckily most characters have some great ways to punish constant low punchers. My friends have become too predictable so i can (with Vane) easily use a number of options like the elbow sabaki, the cut in sabaki, or a block and low throw attempt etc. So in general, i stay on the opponent the whole time and try to keep the momentum flowing.