1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

what config do you use?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by SegaMarc, Jul 29, 2015.

1. SegaMarc

SegaMarc Member

what kind of arcade stick and control config do you guys use? i'm learning how to play VF5 (not FS) on my madcatz TE with the arcade button layout and am having a tough time. my brain refuses to let [K] be associated with triangle and it always makes my hand reach for circle instead :mad:

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  2. Lulu Lulu

Lulu Lulu Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lulekani
    I use a controller and yeah I definitely couldn't play the default setup.... I had to move a few things around....

What character do you play ? You can change whatever you need to get as comfortable as possible.

3. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    I personally have mine set up like this,

G P K X
    X X X X

I used to have em like,
    X X X X
    G P K X

But my G button along with P was failing, so I moved my set up to the top row, and just got used to it. So I kept it like that with my new stick.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Lulu Lulu likes this.
  4. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    Interesting I always used it in a similar in line set up but I've always used the top row Any reason you used the bottom row first?

5. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Do people even use Macros on a stick ? I don't think I've ever seen it..... except in street fighter obviously because screw All Punches/Kicks. :p

6. SegaMarc

SegaMarc Member

thanks to everyone who replied :)

I'm really struggling with these controls because my mind thinks I'm playing Tekken lol. I've tweaked the layout in about 10 different ways but suck with all of them. I guess I'll endure the default arcade layout (square [P], triangle [K], cross [G]) until I get used to it

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  7. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Thinking back, I had em like that so my fingers could have more freedom of.. mmm, not sure how to word this, but, more freedom to 'scrape/slide my fingers' down the buttons. With my buttons on the top, I'm always hitting the bottom buttons too since I slide my fingers down (for the most part I think, hahah) when button pressing.

It honestly still feels weird to use the top three buttons instead of the bottom three for VF. I just kinda got used to it though. To be honest, it still kinda annoys me to restrict myself from sliding my fingers down so I don't hit the bottom buttons. Even though the bottom buttons don't do anything, they're just in the way, hahah.

Someone somewhere might. Would be strange to do so. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  8. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    LoL thats whats messed up.... if this was Mortal Kombat then regardless of what the controlls are like then you would adapt easily because its a totally different game..... but since VF is also a 3D fighter abd shares one ir two mechanics here and there..... your brain wants your Tekken experience to transfer all the way down to how you setup your buttons.... it takes a while to adjust.

I know this one dude whos got two different control schemes for different characters in the same game...... that dude's got his shit together since he doesn't get confused.

9. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    I use Madcatz TE and Real arcade pro 4 kai ( i prefer real arcade pro 4 kai for VF, hayabusa stick with kuro buttons )
    My layout is the classic vf layout:
    P K X X
    G X X X
    G = thumb, P= index finger, K= middle finger.
    For me more physical,more stable, + you use your strongest fingers.

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Macros are forbidden in basically all tournaments of any importance, so people generally don't use them. Note that double-buttonbind like P+K is not a macro by definition. A macro is a sequence of inputs in a single buttonpress. Like, press a button, your stick performs a combo by itself..

I use

P K X X
    G X X X

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  11. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Oooooooh.....

12. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    I also use
    P K
    G

13. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I have

X X P K
    X X G X

I like to have my buttons on the right side. When I had them on the left I sometimes managed to fumble stuff cause I hit my buttons hand with my stick hand while inputting stuff. Most sticks have so little space between the stick and the leftmost buttons.

Ellis likes this.
  14. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    Ultimate gamepad NO mapping configuration...(xbox)

X(blue) = guard

A(green) = punch

B(red) = Kick

Y(yellow) = Kick

This is the ONLY config I know that allows me to use no mapping at all

P+G, K+G, P+K are all easy fat thumb presses... and most importantly you now get two options for P+K+G (vertical thumb press, or horizontal)

p.s. Full disclosure- I experiment with right trigger being P+K+G as this is the most likely to fail in the above mentioned config.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  15. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    WoW:eek:..... thats awesome. I also tried the no shortcut Setup back in ny Tekken days....... and thats all I'm going to say about that.:D

16. ShaolinMonk

ShaolinMonk Member

I used to think the VF controls were rubbish until I got used to them. I still miss my Left P, Right P, Left K, Right K, but I actually prefer having block in a dedicated button.

360 Controller Layout:

X - P
    Y - K
    A - K+G
    B - P+K
    LB - G
    LT - G
    RB - P+G
    RT - P+K+G

This layout is key for me. It assigns my left hand entirely to movement, and blocking, and my right to attacking commands. So when my left index finger releases block, my right thumb goes to work without even the slightest hiccup in coordination, because my thumbs aren't what they used to be as a young gamer. This also takes those pesky P+K and K+G keys they throw at you, and places them down among my primary button array. Being primary offensive command keys, it's just a no-brainer for me, and I know for a fact others playing online will have done the same.

17. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    I play like it was at the arcade so

PKXX
    GXXX

I use a Madcatz SF4 TE stick. I think my brother swapped out the buttons though with some arcade sanwa ones a ways back.

18. XxFROGZILLAxX

XxFROGZILLAxX Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxFROGZILLAxX
    XBL:
    XxFROGZILLAxX
    Pad user here. I only change X button to P+G, helps a lot with throws like Lei-Fei's 41236 P+G > 46 P+G > 236 P+G but have heard others swear by X = P+K+G.