1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown!?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatredboy, May 26, 2021.

1. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

Pretty cool review, and he properly talked well about the issues of Netcode, hopefully Sega will see this.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. gido

gido Well-Known Member

I agree VF that it does stand out but not because its not flashy. It's because it's by far the most realistic 3D fighter in terms of using various and unique martial arts. And I dont think FGs are "ripping off" of each other because of the flash. It wouldnt hurt VF to have to some small hit spark effect. Flash.just.works. Thats like saying everyone who has rollback is ripping off each other. It just works.

I also agree VF doesn't need supers, but it needs something to really stand out. This has always been the problem and it boils down to...I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but Presentation and content. People simply want to know more of characters. Its literally the only 3D fighter without a decent lore told within the game. Is this really just a coincidence?

Dont get me wrong the presentation in VF5US is really good and nothing is touching the fun factor of VF's gameplay its a great 3 button system. But adding generic visuals generic lines costumes is what makes this lose appeal.

If this game had in the "all mighty" rollback netcode, you think this game would automatically last longer? I doubt it. People would still drop it because its barebones as it is now and they are other games they can simply just relate to. Adding depth within the characters themselves makes the characters more interesting not necessarily their movesets.

Hence why VF is a very easternized franchise. It does good in the west but wayyy better in Japan.

Zekiel and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  3. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Maybe I phrased it badly, but I agree with you. Virtua Fighter does indeed stand out by being unique in it's presentation is what I meant, and I think they don't need to change gameplay elements to stand out.
    When I say 'ripping off' I meant things like super and meter being added to games like Tekken and SC. These are creative decisions, not 'improvements' in my mind.
    I definitely agree that VF could use more single player content to draw in and appeal to new players, I've been arguing this for a while too in fact! I think that a big reason VF4Evo sold so well and is so loved is the Quest Mode and Tutorial mode.

I agree also that rollback isn't the answer to making a game 'popular', but I disagree that VF has 'generic' visuals at all. I find it really unique in it's look and relative minimalism is a perfectly valid way to stand out. That's not to say there's more they could be doing, but I'm sure they can add without taking away from VF's core style.

Zekiel, SSShinji, beanboy and 2 others like this.
  4. StylesClash

StylesClash New Member

Since I'm turning 27 soon I figured it was time to pick up an old man game lol.

Intermediate/Advanced fighting game player here. I never played Virtua Fighter before so this is my first proper exposure and I'm loving it a lot. It's very satisfying and addictive and I wanna get as much mileage out of it as I can. I'm having an "all this wasted time" moment but I was always dissuaded because people talk about how hard it is. Getting into it has been a very smooth process so far, though I imagine I'm in for a rude awakening coming soon.

Also as a pro wrestler it's nice to have a character in a fighting game who feels like playing as a pro wrestler (El Blaze). And a Sumo who feels like a Sumo. The martial arts representation is perfect

The package itself is very lacking, but the core game is so fun

Love, love, love this game. I really hope VF6 is on the way and is largely unspoiled. I don't wanna see supers and I definitely don't want them to try and make "Tekken 7 at home"

beanboy, Zekiel, Shin ZAKIRA and 4 others like this.
  5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

So glad you're enjoying it, and I felt the same way about the wrestling and martial arts representation!

Zekiel and StylesClash like this.
  6. DepressedHippie

DepressedHippie Active Member

For the love of god please keep the supers out of Virtua Fighter. I want to focus on the fighting in my fighting games....not have to feel like i'm flying a plane where I have to pay attention to multiple flashing bars and meters, and whether or not the conditions are correct for landing a god damn plane. Save that shit for "Top Gun: Ultimate Tom's"

But yeah ultimate showdown, missed opportunity. You need single player content if you want casual players to graduate into serious players, it's not rocket science. And it's insane to think the re-release of Final Showdown will produce different results 11 years after it's release(and on fewer platforms no less). It's not every day the same game gets to kill a franchise twice, but here we are.

7. break

break Well-Known Member

PSN:
    breaktube
    XBL:
    Joe D Haze
    Enjoying the game so far, and really cool that the full game is free on PSN.
    Really hope it is ported to STEAM/PC soon.
    There are a lot of high ranked strong players in online rooms.
    Very rusty and currently unable to keep up when playing online.
    Current goal is to beat a Goh player online...have no answers for that character.

Sonic The Fighters and smbhax like this.
  8. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

You all noticed that Sega is doing those hours long videos in their chanel, they invite some top player with a character and he play a bunch of other people, i wonder if this is also some collecting data so then to create AI player so then they make a Quest mode that will come later on.

Pure speculation. I have this weird theory that maybe nothing, or...

faster 10 lightning and Zekiel like this.
  9. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I think it's such a refreshing efforts to update my favorite fighter.
    My GOTY so far

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  10. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

One other thing i appreciate about the game is the fast loading times. As someone who played mostly T7 and SF5 in this gen, I almost forgot the old school feeling of fast game booting and loading times.