1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Tekken?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Weisskreuz, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Weisskreuz

Weisskreuz Member

I'm a big Tekken fan, especially TTT. I'm interested what VF hardcorefans like you think about the Tekken series. Do you also have this standard "Tekken is a crap game an a masher game, without any depth and it's for scrubs" attitude many VF-Fans have, or do you respect or even like/play Tekken?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Weisskreuz on 07/08/01 07:44 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

Tekken is my flagship fighter, I have entered many tournaments that come and go. Right now I am not sure if I am going to EC3 which is a US east coast tournament. Many people are hyped about this event because the best from Korea and Europe are entering to take up for the action.

3. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

the forum has a "search" function, please use it - many aspects of tekken have been constructively discussed here in the past.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

As far as I know, it's like any other scene. Some like it, some love it, some hate it, some despise it, some don't care.

As for me, I like Tekken, but I'm not crazy about it (As much as I still post Tekken related stuff anyways). But you'll also hear some people who just hate the game to death here too. You'll probably see all of us discuss something about the game (and being pretty wrong once in awhile). Some here still think the game revolves around the 10-hit strings...

BTW, what is the "official" standard rule on guard damage? On or Off? Is it region dependant?

-Chanchai

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm forever playing the good cop here, defending Tekken whenever I can. It's a good game and has plenty of depth, moreso than VF in some parts. Ultimately though VF is just so much more interesting and fun.

From personal experience, most of the people I know who play both well prefer VF over Tekken.

6. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

Tekken doesn't revolve around ten strings at all. Most top teir players like myself would say its more than just simple buttons taps that reach can reach up to ten hits. Its more about pokes, spacing, movement, small strings, guessing games and of course a bit of juggles. Just download some Korean mtach movies and see them for yourself... if you want to watch some, holla and I will give you guys some links to view them.

7. DMan

DMan Well-Known Member

I'm interested in those tekken video links.

8. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

The first match is between foodle fury from NKT team using Bryan and Bruce. The opponent is Jinha from JP team using Jin and Yoshi. http://www.tekkencentral.com/movies/nktvsjp1.avi

This match is between Hurjab (NKT team) and Jinha. Hurjab is using Bryan and Gunjack and Jinha is using Jin and Heihachi. (look for the wavedash from Jinha) http://www.tekkencentral.com/movies/nktvsjp2.avi

Bryan Mania (NKT team) and Madoru (JP team). Bryan Mania is using Lei and Bryan while Madoru is using Jin and Bruce.
    http://www.tekkencentral.com/movies/nktvsjp3.avi

Bryan Mania is using Lei and Bryan and the opponent Jung Gijae from JP team is using Jin and Hwoarang.
    http://www.tekkencentral.com/movies/nktvsjp4.avi

Kickboxer B. from NKT team is using Bryan and Ogre. Jung is using the same team as before. http://www.tekkencentral.com/movies/nktvsjp5.avi

ENJOY

9. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

I do have more movies, so if you want more, you know the deal... just holla.

10. DMan

DMan Well-Known Member

Those movies were cool! They inspired me to practice some more in ttt to get ready for tekken 4 (while I wait for VF4) I really hope some more people around here get into VF4. I made a deal with a friend of mine that loves tekken, to teach him VF. He never could get into any of the other VF games, but he did like fighter's megamix.

11. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

I am glad that you enjoyed watching those movies. I myself haven't played TTT in a while because all the hype of T4 and VF4 has recieved all over the net. I myself will try to get familiar with both gaming engines and start competing in both. If it starts to get too hectic I might have to stick with one of the two games... I hope that doesn't happen.

12. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

I love Tekken

I especilly loved thrashing everyone at NYG2 a year ago :) I'm looking forard to Tekken 4 as much as VF4.

- The VF Student -

13. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

As much as I like to bash Namco for stealing idea's and such I think Tekken is in my top 3 fighting games but I have to say VF is EASILY first in my mind.

I think Tekken is good in that it's more newbie friendly (if you like that sort of thing), It's a game I can play with clueless friends and they'll still have some fun, I have NO IDEA why most people don't like VF but when I asked a scrub friend he said it was too "clunky" WTF?.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I know what high level TTT play is like. What about those T4 clips?

15. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

OFF OFF OFF!!!!

- The VF Student -

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I hope you did not think that I meant that I think the game is based on 10-hit strings. I was referring that some of us ("us" was referring to the community at VFDC, not necessarily including myself) "still think that." But if it really needs to be clarrified, I don't have that view at all.

But if you need evidence, I've argued on the subject before if you want to search the tekken threads. I've generally held the view that I don't know enough about Tekken to describe high level play, but what I can understand is that there's a strong poking-like game that leads into big damage situations. That that is at least part of it. Anyways, for those that needed the clarification.... My comment on ten strings was sort of a mocking statement.

As for Cause, guess you're telling me that chip damage is off. I've seen places where people play it competitively on, and places where people play it competitively off. When it's on, I do see certain strings used to put pressure on an opponent and constantly chipping. My understanding was that the original settings had them on, but a lot of people somewhere decided to turn it off. Oh well, shows how much I know about Tekken history.

-Chanchai

17. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Thanks for putting up the movies, and for joining in discussion around here in general. It's always nice to see new people.

I think Tekken sucks.

Spotlite

18. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

LOL, i wasnt expecting that answer after the
    welcome. :p

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

--proud member of CvfC--

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by piccolo on 07/11/01 00:09 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

19. JunesOne

JunesOne Member

well i play both, though i got into tekken first and have been playing ttt for 2 years. Tekken's a mad game, cool joystick manuvering techinques etc. It isn't as throw oriented as say VF, but there's some nice throw setups etc.. Basically it's on the same level as VF3tb(ttt that is), but there's alot of unbalances plus ch guarantees get tired, and frustrating. Also ttt is very poking oriented, which is good and bad, good that it requires u to know or feel framerates etc, bad in that it becomes a very boring game if both of you are just trying to outprioritise each other. The thing that i noticed with VF however, which to my liking is that you have to be much more accurate with what you do, especially with chars such as akira. Overall, placing superficalialities behind us, i like VF more, even though i got into after ttt..It's just funner, faster and very rewarding. I'm more proud of my ability at vf than at ttt, even though my degree of skill on ttt is higher.
    But what i'm basically saying is that they're both high-level competative games and it's a matter of oppinion, more than mechanics..because ttt's got it just as much as VF3tb.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Tekken? I never played Tekken ever since..but i'm sure it was an awesome fighting game, but how come only Yoshimitsu only have weapon, does it useable?...

~MX~

/versus/images/icons/cool.gif--<font color=red>BEWARE!!! Martial-X IS HERE...</font color=red>--/versus/images/icons/mad.gif