1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What does Akira mean?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Papeseh, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Papeseh

Papeseh Member

Also the name of one of my favourite anime, this japanese word pops up everywhere. Just wondering what it meant.

I know sakura means cherry blossom for u sf fans ;D

2. bottleneck

bottleneck New Member

Akira is a Japanese male first name. Kurosawa Akira was also a Japanese film director who was the first Japanese director to win international acclaim with such films as Rashomon (1950), Ikiru (1952), Seven Samurai (1954), The Throne of Blood (1957), Kagemusha (1980), and Ran (1985).

3. MOMOMOMO

MOMOMOMO Member

uhh...i dont think that helped at all.

4. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=17053&page=&view=&sb=&o=>This link might help</a>

and
    this is probably the meaning

5. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

] Akira has many different meaning based on the kanji
    ] variations, but the one they chose for vf4 is crystal. Yuuki
    ] means courage, not very feminine, however i forget if that is
    ] the one they used for the game.

I agree with "crystal", but his family name Yuuki is Œ‹ÂÂé and doesn't mean â€â€E‹C "courage".

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

the two Kanji in his family name are "connect" & "castle". Shouldnt' take family names as 'meanings' as you generally don't get to choose them. Also, Yuki isn't a very common last name.

There are LOADS of ways to write Akira. The only Akira I've known had used this kanji.ÂÂW

7. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

Re: Yuuki, Ibaraki (^_-)

(If anyone's writing or has written an Akira FAQ or Dojo, the writer might as well include this bit of info, because every couple months, someone seems to ask about the VF chara's non-English names and quotes... And even the English quotes, like Jerky's handcuffs.)

Yuuki, written as the kanji of Akira's family name, is also a city in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. It's apparently known for its pongee, and has an official homepage at
    http://www.net-ibaraki.ne.jp/yukicity/

Pongee, defined by Yahoo! USA Reference: American Heritage Dictionary at
    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entries/74/p0437400.html
    is "a soft thin cloth woven from Chinese or Indian raw silk, or an imitation thereof."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Akira's profile says he's from Ibaraki.
    OTOH, we can't always expect someone whose last name is, say, Hamilton is really Hamilton (near Toronto in Ontario, Canada), can we?

8. Papeseh

Papeseh Member

Woah, they were much more complicated replies than i hoped for. But thanks still, I will folow each link /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Also Ryu means dragon, which i fink is wikked!

9. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

It's not really uncommon in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) for someone to have a family name after a city. My last name is England, for instance, but Im' as american as apple pie. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif