1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What does your gamertag say about you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Modelah, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hououin_Kyouma

Hououin_Kyouma Active Member

Mad Scientist™

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It's so cool! Sonuvabitch!

Hououin_Kyouma likes this.
  3. PoisonKid13

PoisonKid13 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AngerTheMasses

daRockReaper and Riq like this.
  4. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    LOL

5. Hououin_Kyouma

Hououin_Kyouma Active Member

I'll tell you, Hououin Kyouma means literally "Phoenix Institute of Disaster Ministry", but I'm for the anime(Steins:Gate)...

6. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Craigbot likes this.
  7. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Look a few pages back, Mod~

[​IMG]

I thought this guy was pretty cool when I was a dorky little 12-year-old, so I butchered the spelling of his name a bit. Or I suppose, with "semi" in the name, you could just say I'm only a small fragment of what a demon-slaying samurai is, but that just sounds silly.

Ytpme_Secaps and Modelah like this.
  8. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Well, long story how I get it... About 20 years ago (OMG WTF it is so long already?!?) when I was 13, I was playing card games - MtG; and Guardians as well (it is awesome, funny and underestimated card game with gorgeous card pictures).

One day, 1st (and only) expansion to Guardians came out, so all players in my town where buying few boosters each and then we started the trading. I get the undead card "Black Unicorn" (the picture you can see on my icon) and traded it for something else with my friend, who was playing undead deck unlike me.

Few days later the info about cards in this expansion was fnnaly released and we learned that this card is so rare that statistically there is less that one in all boosters sold in Czech republick. From that day, I become known as "that boy with unicorn card" what later on became naturally just "unicorn".

This nickname spread through few of other friends who where part of card community but known me outside of it as well and within 3 years, I was known as Unicorn in most of other communities as well. And as 2 of this friends where playing FGs with me, it transcended into FG community as well. So now... I am the Unicorn guy, 33-years old half-bald dude with beard :p

[​IMG]

BTW I bought that card back from the guy I traded it with about a year ago, it is now sitting in front of my monitor at home :)

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Some people think my real name is Myke, but I'm quick to correct them that it's Mike, and "Myke" is just an alternate spelling. That conversation usually ends there. Nothing else to see here. Move along.

But, the true story behind my name is all about a girl.

That story is pretty corny and kind of convoluted, but what the hell, right? During my second year of University, I was working full time while studying part time mostly by going to night classes. Anyway, there was this girl in my course that I had the hots for. She hung out in her circle of friends, I hung out in mine, and I just admired her from a distance for a while. Too chicken-shit to try and do anything about it.

I remember one night I was running late for class, and kind of rushed in and sat at the nearest available seat. That seat happened to be right next to hers, but, here's the thing. Her eyes were filled with tears, her face was red as if having just received some terrible news. I felt really bad, and awkward, and managed to simply ask a solitary question all night:

"Are you OK?"

She just nodded, clearly wanting to be left alone. I didn't press it any further, and lost myself in what was remaining of the class while ruing the impossible roll of the dice that lay before me.

After that night, I didn't really have much occasion or cause to talk to her, without going out of my way to do so. But remember, back then, I was a chicken-shit so that was never going to happen. Months pass by.

Then, as luck would have it, in one of our mutual classes we ended up being allocated into the same random group for an assignment. Was this my chance? I bloody-well thought it was! But then a funny thing happened. As the weeks went by, a funny thing happened. I actually got to know her! And in that process, the desire I once had for her slowly disappeared. I won't go into the details as to why, but let's just say that she knew how to use her assets to her advantage. I wasn't complaining at first, but it grew taxing on me eventually.

To get the story back on track, during the time we worked closely together on this group assignment, we communicated a lot using IRC (a lot you young kids probably have no idea what this is, but it was all the rage back when Universities with Internet connections was a hot-spot for all Engineering and Computer Science students, and getting the Internet at home via 14.4K dialup modem was a thing). And in IRC my nickname was Akira which I took after the manga/anime of the same name, before Virtua Fighter was even in existence. It was also her first foray into the world of IRC (thanks to me) and she got hooked on it. Hard. In fact, she started to annoy me with all her IRC stories. If it weren't new guys trying to hit on her -- which, to be honest, made me a bit jealous at first -- it was questions of a technical nature ("how do I do this?", "How do I do that?", etc).

So here comes the turning point.

All this time, she was calling me "Akira" in real life. At first I thought it was cute, since she only did it in private (i.e. when we were alone). But then, one day after a mid-semester break -- during which I hadn't seen her for about two weeks since I was away on a holiday -- upon entering a class she jumped up out of her seat, yelled "AKIRA!" so loud that it caught everyone's attention, then ran over to me to give me a hug.

It was as if, suddenly, my "online persona" was exposed to the real world, unwillingly, and disapprovingly. Back then, there was a certain anonymity with being online, and -- just like that -- it was gone.

I wouldn't quite call that the most embarrassing moment of my life, but, it was pretty damn close. And from that day, I vowed to change my nickname to... something else. But what? So I thought to myself:

"I need something so that the next time a girl comes running into my arms, screaming my name, she's yelling something that sounds like Mike!" :)

As for my gamertag, since "Myke" was already taken on PSN and XBL, I figured I'd throw some numbers at the end, and so it became Myke623. The 623 is the dragon punch notation ([6][2][3]) in homage to my street fighter gaming roots. It coincidentally works as being a unique command input that no other VF character has except for my main, Kage (since VF3).

10. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

It's my name :D
    But here is a story (maybe true maybe made up)- So, it begins many thousands of years ago, when the Katbamna Family used to rule many of the states in India (before it became a country of course). They were the Kshatriya Caste (note, cast systems were in full effect at this time) (ruling caste and warrior caste). Their rule was powerful but fair, everyone had a good life under the Katbamna Family. However, one day, another king from the Kshatriya caste decided that one day he was going to mess with the wrong guy. This guy was named Parshuram and is believed to be one of the Avatars (forms) of Vishnu. So this other king decides to off Parshurams Dad because of some dispute. So, Parshuram, meaning Ram of the Ax, vows revenge. So he asks his ancestors for one wish, the wish to be immortal. Using this gift of immortality, Parshuram went on killing over 8 generations of Kshatriyas (yes, he took it out on the whole caste). So one day, the Bhramins (parshurams caste) and the Kshatriyas (represented by the Katbamna Family) had a round table discussion. And at this meeting it was concluded that the Bhramins and Kshatriyas would form one caste known as the Bhramkshatriyas (the actual caste i belong to). However, Parshurams part in this story is not done. To this day, many Indians know and believe that he is still walking the earth today (remember, immortality), and many times he has shown himself to other kshatriyas as a warning. They know, one wrong step and... game over man, game over.

(over 80% of this story is true and documented as well as me being from the BhramsKshatriya caste. Also, Dhaval means purity of soul, and how I got that name is a completely different story for a completely different time)

@Myke, that is the most depressing love story ever "I liked this girl once, but when I got to know her that changed. Then when she liked me, I didn't like her because she embarrassed me. Now we don't speak ever. :( "

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Ytpme_Secaps, Riskbreak and Modelah like this.
  11. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Cool stories! The story behind my nickname isn't that exciting tbh, but I've been using it for 10 years, so it's nice to recall the memories :)

10 years ago, I must have been 17. I was heavily geeking it out at the time. Playing computergames, Warhammer, Magic. My parents had bought me my first computer around this time, so I was more excited than ever->non-stop computergames all day long! My dad had wired the internet to my room as well, so I could play all day and night. And I did.

At the time I was using Mazz Drekk as my handle. A random name I had thought up when brainstorming about... names... with my friends (my fellow geeks :D). I had been growing tired of using it after some years, which was around the time Far Cry came out! My parents had bought me my first computer and I just had to play that game.. the graphics were sick for the time! Playing it the name just felt right, you know? But I didn't want to be known as the crybaby or something, so I needed something just a little different. I used Kryalis for a while (I was playing Warhammer, so using supergeeky names like this was natural), but it didn't stick->Krye was born.

This was actually the start of my time playing competitive games. DOA2:U on xbox live and Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (THIS GAME IS AWESOME) on my computer.

Oh, and while I didn't become known as the crybaby, Justin Timberlake had the brilliant idea of releasing 'Cry me a River'->every song with cry in the title was instantly about me. Total backfire, but it gives me options whenever my name is taken :D

Also, I grew tired of this tag at one point, but after winning WCG three times I became well known in Dutch gamer circles for a while, so changing the tag wasn't an option. Now I just don't care anymore ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Ytpme_Secaps, Riskbreak and Modelah like this.
  12. BBountyHuntyr

BBountyHuntyr Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BBountyHunter
    XBL:
    BBountyHuntyr
    Hmm, I see it's my turn.

This story will have GIFs, make it attractive Lol

Seeing as I'm not originally from here I'll explain my 3 aliases (The 2 prior to BBountyHuntyr)

DrosselAxel: The way this one came about was that I finally got on XBL for the first time and I was going through the set up like any normal person. But I couldn't really find a name. Plus I wanted one that rolls off the tongue, but can also be turned into a nickname. Then I wondered what games I was playing at the time I could use for inspiration? I remember that it was around the time Soul Calibur IV was active and I was maining Tira. If I remember correctly, it was nearly 3 months after the game dropped and I was level 86 I think.

I then thought about the name of Tira's primary weapon, Aiseline Drossel.
    [​IMG]
    I liked the name so that's where the first part came from. I thought about what could go with this that makes the name flow. I remember I playing through Kingdom Hearts 2 for the first time then, I downloaded many songs from that game. I was reminded of it when Utada Hikaru's "Sanctuary" came on within my 360's playlist that I had back then. Then I thought of my favorite character of the series, Axel. Put it together, and DrosselAxel was born with "Axel" as my nickname. It was my name for all of my Tekken 6 and SCIV days.

LockhartArrow: After Tekken 6 had been going strong for a long time at this point, Tag 2 was announced. By all the trailers, publicity, and pre-order crap that was out there for it at the time, all of us Tekken players were hype. All of us long term veteran players played Tekken 6 TO DEATH while we were waiting for Tag 2 to drop. Then the moment finally arrived, Tag 2 dropped and a dark age then began. Many of those once friends turned sour and salty towards each other, teams were literally just cliques for people to say, "You can't sit with us." Not everyone was like that, but a majority mostly was thinking their team was so badass. Then solo mode, which defines fighting games in general and is what Tekken is known for, is bashed beyond recognition.

Receiving hate mail left and right, from friends, enemies, and strangers alike. People wanting you on their team, BUT ONLY long enough so they can destroy someone else's team without following clan rules and all that shit, just to say they're the best online. Best online...did that really matter? Lol People literally taking the word "friendship" and warping it into whatever sick crap they warped it into. It...drags you down after playing for a while and makes you want to give up on Tekken. So I decided I want a new name and a mask to cover DrosselAxel's face and play under the radar.

At this name I was playing Final Fantasy VII and Dissidia Duodecim for the PSP at the time. I mained Tifa and specifically liked one of her moves...
    [​IMG]
    Burning Arrow. Throw it in a blender with Tifa Lockhart and voila, LockhartArrow was born.

BBountyHuntyr: Although I may not look like it or seem like it, I've gotten into some physical alternations many times with people. During this time, there was a lot of built up tension and emotions coming from many different places, so it was pretty easy to set me off so I would set it off. The incident that triggered this gamertag was when someone constantly had my name in their mouth. Just one of those characters who feel they can talk big and down to whoever they feel is quiet enough to just let it slide.

I didn't pay much of it seeing as I don't have time to deal pigs who occasionally jump out of the mudpit they love to roll in to be reckless in the jungle. But then, this person decided to press those buttons in the correct order to set me off on a warpath. I had no clue where the person lived or was...but I was dead set on finding them. I gathered info, roamed the streets, and collected rumors they spread to trace them. My best friend was with me all the way. He told me the way I'm going about it, would be like how a Bounty Hunter tails his prey. Held that thought with me for while. Long story short I found him, beat the organs out of him, and left home.

After the drama subsided, things looked up. I still had that Bounty Hunter thought stuck in my head. Wondered if I could use it as an identity? Then I thought...Gamertag. But Bounty Hunter couldn't stand alone for XBL. I thought of my last name which begins with a "B" but then I started thinking about my favorite anime of all time (Which was coming on that night)...
    [​IMG]
    Cowboy Bebop. Hence the name "BBountyHuntyr." Or my full name, BebopBountyHuntyr.

And that is my story. Farewell everyone.
    [​IMG]

13. Modelah

PSN:
    Modelah
    I didn't realise only 5 people could be tagged in a post so I'm sorry if I double-tag anyone but I just want to make sure everyone got an alert to this RATHER EPIC THREAD :cool:
    Calling out @Combolammas, @Riskbreak, @D0llo13, @Elite, @Darksoul173

14. Modelah

PSN:
    Modelah
  15. Strider786

Strider786 Well-Known Member

Modelah likes this.
  16. Riskbreak

Riskbreak Member

PSN:
    Riskbreak_
    Wow that's what I call reviving a thread, can't say I also have such an interesting story to tell but here you go.

My tag is from one of my favourite games ever, a dark fantasy JRPG called Vagrant Story. The combat system in VS is pretty original and full of small technical nuances but the general idea is that your every attack generates risk points that make you more susceptible to damage and lower both your accuracy and defense. Because of that, as the battle goes on the number of offensive options open to you decreases and every mistake you make can be fatal. The protagonist differs from every other character in the game though, he's a so called "Riskbreaker" and at a certain point in the game recieves an ability to perform special attacks that bypass this whole risk system. Those "Break Arts" generate no risk points and aren't negatively affected by it however cost health points to use.
    At the time I learned for the first time about the application of fuzzy guard and evade dash cancels and thought the idea behind those has something in common, they're a trump card technique that lets you bend part of the combat system in your favour at the desired moment.
    So, all said above plus I thought it's a cool sounding combination of words :).

17. Heikou

Heikou New Member

PSN:
    Onsen-no-Osen
    The kanji for my name's 並行. Translates to "parallel." It sort of serves as a reminder to me since I used to have trouble understanding that while I was changing, everyone else was changing as well. Kind of cheesy, huh?

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I don't know, man, I think your story of mass murder spanning 8 generations is more depressing than mine! :)

As I said, I spared many details from my story since it was already long enough to get the point across. But to clarify one thing, the reason I lost my desire for her wasn't because of that embarrassing incident, it was well before that (because of "reasons"). We continued to be friends well after that as well, but eventually we just went separate ways. This was also around 20 years ago!

DK likes this.
  19. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Just pulling your wiggling big toe man. But yeah, just giving you a hard time.

Myke likes this.
  20. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Ytpme_Secaps, Ellis and Modelah like this.