1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What is cheap playing?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I really don't know very many ways to be cheap...I know there are differen't styles of play, but what would you all classify as cheap? Examples?

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Cheap plays...

Hmmmm ..I guess it depends on how u are defeated by the opponent. Say if the opponent uses a system bug to defeat u, that is what I would consider a cheap play.

Sometimes, people like to refer to defensive plays(machi) as cheap.

I don't agree with it in 3d fighting games.
    In 2d fighting games, defensive plays CAN be considered cheap only at SOME times.

Ultimately, whether or not it is considered cheap play is up to one's intepretation.

SummErs' 'If I had a buck everytime I hit someone with my Lighting kick....'

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah, now here's a topic.

Personally, i don't think there is such a thing, with the possible exception of exploiting bugs which allow for infinite combos (as with some of the marvel vs. street fighter games) freezing (anybody remember the guile handcuffs?) and the like. If i had to guess (since everybody has their own personal gripes), i'd say it just comes down to moves, combinations or techniques which are easy to perform, yet difficult to evade or counter.

Fortunately, these things are typically not the best route to fun gameplay, so you have to figure that anybody using them in a non-tournament setting is punishing themselves for not being more daring. Regardless, the bottom line is that naming something cheap is necessarily a judgement call, so just let the other person play however they wish, and figure out a way to beat it. After all, if the goal is to improve, and the best way to accomplish that goal is through playing people who can beat you by using attacks or defenses you generally can't deal with, it's usually the people who are getting called "cheap" against whom you should be practicing.

Anyway, if you're looking for some sort of list of moves, you're probably not going to get it; if you do, i'd take it with a grain of salt.

4. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

How about Kage's shinsodan-away on the desert stage? What do you guys think about that?

I find it being probably the most frustrating "legitimate" strategy in the game, which is rare in VF. It can be dealt with but very hard.

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

THAT IS SURELY CONSIDERED CHEAP!!!!!!

SummErs' 'If I had a buck everytime I hit someone with my Lighting kick....'

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hmmm, are the only ways to deal with it pretty much as displayed in that video you showed in that clip Shota? Getting Kage into the "wall" of the desert stage so that he starts having less room to work with, and then timing some ranged attack to poke him out of the shinsodan? Or did that only happen because the Kage player went back and forth every so often?

Speaking of which, what are the best ways of handling a TA shinsodan? Does dodging (by the non-sonic-bastard) alter any of the shinsodan properties? Such as causing Kage to start turning a bit? Does enyone have a good running option against it?

(sometimes I wish low punches would have more range...)

-Chanchai

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as "playing cheap". If you have a problem with your opponent abusing those "hard to counter" or so-called "cheap" techniques, you're perfectly allowed to play in exactly the same style, aren't you? If you refuse to play cheap, that's your problem. You're saying that's not fun? Well, maybe for your opponent WINNING is fun, not playing itself.

8. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

The only thing that is "cheap" is utilizing a bug
    in the program that totally alters the balance of
    the game being played.

Other than that....
    http://www.shoryuken.com/columns/dom101/000.shtml

GE
    -no, I don't think Kage's shinsodan on the desert stage is cheap.
    probably frustrating as hell but not cheap.