1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What is it with Jacky an even Sarah Players???

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by RandomHajile, Feb 10, 2002.

1. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

you disappoint me man

most people who whine about something being cheap aren't whining because the character is overpowered; it's cause they can't deal with it.

if you can consistently beat jacky, then fine, what are you whining about?

if you can't, that's cause the opponent has better skill than you, not cause the character is overpowered(unless if we are talking about braindead overpowered characters in some games, coughcoughMVC2coughcough)

what made you think jacky is cheap? easier to get good at, ok, fine. but cheap? nah, vf is so balanced, no character is completely cheap(not even Akira, because beginners can't walk up to a VF4 machine choose Akira and start winning). jacky has his weaknesses, and they are that he can't really do huge damage in combos; he relies on keeping the initiative to win.

and another thing; you have no respect for tourney winners. some of the people in japan are so friggin good, if you can beat expert players consistently with jacky there you'd gain respect.

and not to get off topic, but if you do use guile in sf, you also need a ton of skill to beat high ranking players as well.

nuh said, practice hard instead of giving excuses

2. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

Hmm..something slightly off-topic here, hope u guys dont mind...
    How do u play against a player who keeps backing off a huge distance and waits for u to come to him? Seems like when he mixes up some long range attacks than hits high/low, i get my ass burned..
    And how do u guys defends against a wolf who LP into a GS?
    Thanx to any ppl who bothers to reply..

3. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Dodge and throw cancel. You can dodge LPs until the cows come home.

f+P+G to cancel giant swing.

use a big head crumble move if they fake for a throw as well. Cause you can't be thrown out of a move.

4. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

hell, jacky is what kage was in vf3
    and you can do good damage combos with little effort, in fact i think his easy combos take more then combos with skill!

5. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Oh my god, first you compare him to a Tekken character and now Guile!?
    As a die hard Jacky fan I gotta end this madness with a simple - no.

As for Jacky being over powered. He's not. He's been given a buckload of new options though, so yeah, he's tougher to beat. The biggest problem with Jacky, I think, is that much more energy is put into (by non-Jacky-players) hating him, than learning him.

Really, he's dead simple to predict, and that's the worst part about playing him. He tends to become quite tedious at times if you play him JUST to win.

Seriously, he's far from the most annoying opponent, at least in VF3. Simply because of his rather repetitive style. In VF4, yeah, he's got more options, but that's a GOOD thing. He's more fun to play, and he's able to actually kick masher ass now, which at least I found difficult in VF3. (by that not meaning that I couldn't do it, he's just got the means to without doubt punish every stupid masher move now.)

I just can't sit back and watch people bash Jacky, my advice is to study his moves instead of whining. His throw game is indeed pathetic at best, and the throws he is using are easily escaped. (f,b+p+g as mentioned earlier)

6. Darkseed

Darkseed Well-Known Member

I'm sorry......I definately put alot more energy into hating Jacky than learning him but I cant help it! He's just too damn annoying! One more "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYEEEEEEEEAH" and I'm gonna kill somebody! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

7. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Kill yourself.
    If you can't beat Jacky, make an effort to understand him by using him. If you simply dun haf the patience to use him, ask your opponents how they find jacky and oso ask them abt his(jacky's) weaknesses. Jacky has a great throw>P+G. His beat knuckle combo is reasonable.His best air combo>f+K>PPf+K isn't very strong. Thus there's no point complaining. Jacky's a well-balanced character.

8. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

Well..there are some super irritating jacky players who plays a defensive and machi game..they have the skills, they have the know-how, but they dont make it fun for everybody else..those r the jackys we shd flame /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Are you trying to be ironic?
    P+G sucks hard even for a basic throw..
    P+K, P, K is more than reasonable...
    knee, PPknee is over 1/3rd of your life without counter, about 40% if you get a counter and stick an extra punch..
    Don't forget d/f+PPP, pounce.

Jacky's well balanced anyway, like you said - all of his moves are equally good.

BUT he's still not so good that he's cheesy. That's reserved for someone else.

10. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

talking abt >knee>ppKnee..why doesnt the first knee sometimes float the opponent high enuf for the following combo?..sorry..i'm a lousy jacky player but trying to learn this fantastic game..

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

how high the oppt floats depends on their weight.
    Lightweights and middleweights will always float high enough for knee, PP, knee -
    Heavies won't.

Also, if you hit them with a knee at the same time as they try to attack, the knee floats higher than normal. So in this situation, lightweights float very high - high enough to do knee, P, P, PP-knee... Heavyweights float just high enough to do knee, PP knee.

12. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

hmm..but ive tried it on Lau and the knee floats too low for the followup combos..Lau shd be a middle weight i reckon..also seems like when u knee an opponent in the back, he falls down too quick for the air combo too..got it when i MC Lau as he was doing his bb+P..

ps: wat r the tactics and moves good and flashy jackys use?..

13. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

If you hit a crouching opponent with the knee, the float will not be high enough. That's probably what's happening.

Try to learn the iaigeri timing if you want to work on flashy combos. Check out virtuaproject for a Jacky combo list.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

the best way to counter jacky & sarah without reversals is to get someone with good evading moves (i.e u/d +P+K+G moves), although they seem pretty hard to conquer, they fight very linear ... their ever lasting thrust combos can be conquered by a quick evade move like akira's evading body check, or wolf's evading body slam..

try out various things, they're not impossible, though still fustraiting!

15. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

"hell, jacky is what kage was in vf3"

Funny, ya know people found Jacky to be king bitch in VF 3OB.......figures you skip that fact.

16. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Alright for all those Jacky haters I can understand that some jacky's can be annoying to fight due to playing style. See the thing with jacky is You've got to know him or play him if you want to brutally DESTROY him. Oh yes, Jacky can be destroyed. His BeatKnuckle, P,K is a stupid move to use due to the fact that if Beat is blocked a good player will DUCK. Seeing as how the rest hits high your vulnerable to back throws. Actually if you think about it. The regular P+G is a useful throw mainly cause your garaunteed a ground kick. His Beatknuckle ,K is what I use instead of BK,P,K. I've been punished too many times with a back throw =). Call it INTIMIDATION. Anyways I can agree with Jacky is somewhat boring but its all on how you play him really. To win in a serious match Jacky is very limited in what he can do. And sometimes can get boring to play in serious matches. When fighting a "SCRUB" or "Fun Matches" =) Jacky can turn into a "Flashy SOB" who makes you mad at the fact that you even got hit by something so beautiful. I LOVE JACKY, Hell I love all the VF characters. If your truly a VF fan, you should learn to appreciate all character models and moves. later.

17. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

no, akira's what kage was in vf3...and more.
    i disagree that jacky was what kage was in vf3; can jacky take off more than 50% life from one throw? and kage was a better range fighter than jacky.
    and haha, whoever said combos take skill? i can name a tona combos that you can do right now in vf4 that take little skill and still do huge damage

it's cause once you connect the 1st hit of a combo successfully, you can just go on autopilot(not to say that all combos are easy to do, but you get what i mean, you learn the timing, you stick with it and it'll never fail you). it's connecting that 1st hit successfully and setting the opponent up that takes skill.

not to distract people from learning vf, and not to promote sf, but go to www.shoryuken.com and read s-kill's article on what he thinks is cheap, it promotes what i've been saying all along;

ppl who whine about things being cheap are those who are too lazy to figure out the game.

18. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

"ppl who whine about things being cheap are those who are too lazy to figure out the game."

YES! Yes, yes, yes, YES!
    That's so true it belongs in the bloody bible. Let's face it, we all have our faves, and we all have our moments of frustration. VF is a balanced game. It's actually remarkable how insanely balanced it IS, despite being so deep, complex and tactical.

Sure, VF1 was stupid at times (Jacky's flipkick, lol) but with VF3tb and VF4 version C, I mean, come on! Sure some characters has an advantage over others, and at times they can even feel cheap, but most of it is all in our heads.
    It's pretty obvious when you look at how many different opinions there are about who's 'cheap' and who's not.

Agreed, Kage was a VF3 powerhouse, there's just no denying that. But before we start throwing the expression 'cheap' around, we should look to ourselves and ask:

- Am I really trying hard enough?

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, being defensive is a reasonable style...while it may not be flashy..if someone can win by fighting defensivly...more power to them.

20. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

??..defensive play for certain characters i can understand..but not doing some damage and backing a mile off..waiting for time out or ring out...stinx man..