1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What made you pick your favorite fighters?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Foondogg, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Foondogg

Foondogg Well-Known Member

Just wondering what it was that made everyone pick to be their favorite fighter. I first started playing VF back in VF2, and it was Jacky's hair that made me play him first. I guess ive been with him ever since.

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

In terms of visual appearance I chose Akira because he looks cool /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif and his arms extremely chissled (he probably has the best arms in the game, surpassing Wolf's) and he looks like Ryu, my favorite Street Fighter. Also, his hair's pretty cool. /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif

In terms of personality, He doesn't have a lot. In VF1 and 2 he had a bit more "youth" in his personality but in VF4 he never smiles for some reason, he's serious as hell, all the time. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

That's about it.

3. Kale

Kale Active Member

Akira- thought he looked cool and heard he was hard to use.

Lei Fei- His fighting style is just damn cool

4. Lemonspawn

Lemonspawn Member

I basically just played around with everyone until I found one I liked a lot, and I totally fell in love with Lion's fighting style, even though he looked stupid to me (and he looks just like Tidus from FFX grr...).

5. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of stylish kicks and knees so it wasn't long before I started using Sarah Bryant. Every new Virtua Fighter has given her more variety in brutal and graceful leg strikes. VF4's introduction of the <font color="pink">Flamingo stance</font color> has been the greatest addition yet.

I like the sheer aggression of Sarah's moves, rather then the stereotyped dainty female characters. She's devastating and still looks good throughout.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Lion - as I liked his fighting style, and looks to an extent
    Shun - during VF2, as I thought suiken was kewl, but now I use him to aggravate people
    Lei Fei - b/c his stances are wicked
    Aoi - b/c I like how 'oriental' she is, and she can reverse damn near anything
    Vanessa - due to strength

7. Lemonspawn

Lemonspawn Member

Well of course Sarah has a nice body, Adio, she's a female video game character... but I dunno if I'd say she looks good throughout -- her face is sorta weird and she's too generic to seem real...
    Vanessa on the other hand.... well to keep on topic, I chose her as one of my more recent character's I've picked up because she IS a babe.

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, when VF2 dropped, I had already begun my studies in Taekwondo, so the kicking aspect of Sarah really attracted me. She is pure aggression. As Adio pointed out already, The FL stance was a HUGE addtion and really has helped in fleshing out Sarah.
    For my other main character, Shun, I love the way he moves. I love him because I see him as a character that has still not realized his potential, and hell - I just want to be a dirty old man in my golden years :)

9. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Akira: Just very stylish in appearance and style. I like the way single powerful hits that smash an opponent to the ground (stplm for example) look over a flurry of blows that don't really do much (ppp canned strings), Akira has loads of attacks like that.

After playing him for a while (since fighters megamix) I just got hooked. The way he fights seems to radiate strength. Even more so than the big characters like wolf and jeff. I think it's in how controlled all his moves seem.

Anyways I've dribbled long enough.

Jeff: I wanted someone that wasn't quite as abusable as Akira. More so for sitting playing ps2 at home. Where Akira jsut isn't much fun to use at all as the A.I. is just a sucker for most of his attacks.

I really don't like the characters who do lots of small fast hits. It's just a preferance of style thing. So decided to go for one of the two big throw characters. And I just like the way Jeff's attacks look better than wolf's.

10. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    for me it was Spotlite /versus/images/icons/grin.gif At the time I started playing vf2, Spotlite(Bryan) was the only person who really played Jeffry. So I tried Jeff out at home on Fighter's Megamix /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif to get a feel for him. It didn't work! Then vf3 came out shortly after and Spotlite was still pretty much the only person that really seemed dedicated to him. So I asked Hiro, "why doesn't anyone pick Jeffry." He replied, "although he is strong. It is really hard to win with him in vf3." From that point on I took on the challenge to hopefully some day become the best Jeffry player around. Thanks Bryan /versus/images/icons/wink.gif
    But before that I was a Lau, and Akira player. The up knife combos sold me on Lau. As for Akira well how could you not want to SPOD someone heh!

11. Clumsy_Mohel

Clumsy_Mohel Member

I chose Lau because he looked grumpy and old, and Shun was wayyyy too difficult for me (and he was too happy). After doing [4][4][P][2][P][P][P][P][2][K] in practice mode, I was hooked.

12. Lemonspawn

Lemonspawn Member

What does SPoD mean?

13. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

STun palm of doom-its a really hard to do but cool akira move that can push people when they duck or try to sidestep.

It took me a while to find who I really liked, but in the end I picked jefferey, I started with Lei_Fei(thus my name) but it didnt stick, I like the fact the jeff is just so fucking mean. The guy does nothing but make you hurt. Pretty cool and there no one like him in any video game ever. Hes the perfect mix of martial arts, throwing, and just pure brawling.

14. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well of course Sarah has a nice body

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemonspawn, I'm talking more of her fluid technique rather than her looks. I've been using Sarah since VF2, I've grown up with her features. From a couple of basic polygons here and there, to full on textures and shading in Virtua Fighter 3 that gave her a definable appearance. Now, in Virtua Fighter 4 AM2 have built upon her so that her character model is even more feasible then ever. She's attractive and has visible definition to enforce the reality of games overall style.

But, for me, it's all about the kicks. VF2 was about the Illusion/Mirage Kicks ([3][K][K]/[3][K][K][K]) and the then unstoppable Double Joint Butt ([6][P][K]). Virtua Fighter 3 introduced the Dragon Cannon ([1][K]), the Rising Knee variants ([2_][6][K][K]/[2_][6][K],[K]) and two great looking throws in the form of the brutal yet under powered Lightning Knee Smash ([4][P]+[G]) and the graceful and powerful Leg Hold Takedown/Throw ([4][6][P]+[G]). And then there's her Low Spin Kick ([3][K]+[G]), a much needed sweep.

In Virtua Fighter 4, I've already said how much I enjoy the <font color="pink">Flamingo Stance</font color> but her new Fallen Angel Throw ([6][1][P]+[G]) Is great to watch too. I like everything about the character, both aesthetic and mechanical.

15. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Aoi

Aoi - I'm a convert from SF, whose primary characters were Zangief & Co. Naturally, I first started with Wolf and Jeff, but tried out other grapplers as well (Vanessa being a close runner up). When I started learning Aoi, well, I used to study aiki-j, and I couldn't believe how authentic Aoi's throws/reversals were. And I think Aoi's throws/reversals are the sweetest animations in the game. That made me settle on Aoi. Plus, I think Aoi is somewhat more visually appealing than Wolf/Jeff. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

16. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Member

I've always been a fan of Ninja's and samurai's since i was a child, even though i am not a pro at VF4 or the old ones i find Kage to be an interesting character.

He is a very secretive character and has many great details of strength and reliability.

His second suit is alot better than the first and it looks similair to Yoshimitsu's costumes in Tekken (favourite game). A great character with plenty of fancy moves and looks. He also is a neutral character not hated in the story line.

17. Hung_Shun

Hung_Shun Member

i think i picked shun di because he was somewhat totally different from everyone else and totally unique, his stances are cool, and i loved the movie legend of drunken master starring jacky chan, shun di is also really funny and takes my mind off stuff that makes me mad, it's just too bad the game made him so slow /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

18. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I chose Jacky cause I look alot like him. Also, cause I'm fast as lightning, that helps.
    And if you mash really hard..........................................you win. =P

P.S.- If you think shun is slow you need to play this guy Nelson in NYC. Guys Crazy with him!!

19. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I've got a relatively vicious Shun, considering they're quite rare around here. That's not to say they don't exist, but I think I've only seen two in real life above 10-dan, and one in a video.

He's really quick -- just weak as hell. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

20. Kousotsu

Kousotsu Well-Known Member

/versus/images/icons/ooo.gif Well first of all. When ever I play a new fighting game I always look for any character who looks like a remake of Bruce Lee. Sense VF didn't have one of thoughs I went to Jacky Because his movements reminded me of Bruce. But then I just got stuck on Kage and I don't know why. I've been playing with him ever sense VF1. But When VF4 came out I was hook on the Mui Tai styles ever scense Blood Sport. And man did I love Bryan Fury From Tekken3. Thats when I found out about Vanessa. Mui Tai is like my favorite Fighting art. So I look up Vanessa's Fighting Style: Vale Tudo. its a form of Mui Tai that means win any way posiable. And I fell in love after that. Then when I saw the awsome spear that she dose, I new she would do anything to win. I love her I can beat anybody attitude. Man I just hope VF comes out with a Boy version of Vanessa!

Peace is nothing but a time to prepare for War, and Life is but a long process of Death. So that is why you must learn what Death is. Quoted From the Book Of Revolation