1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a good player?

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Apr 5, 2013.

1. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

meditation1.jpg

Ok so I've been thinking about this for some time now, and wanted to get your perspective on it. What makes a good/strong player? I mean there are players out there that dont give a damn about frames or hit checking or anything like that, yet they still own everyone in their path. Then theres players out there that know a lot of technical stuff about the game and the characters and stuff, but cant really apply it in a real fight when it really counts. Then you got the offline/online thing where someone can be "amazing" online but when it's time for that tourney they get destroyed (Vise Versa). So where is the line between a "good" and "bad" player? And what is considered scrubby players or noobish players? You can apply thees questions to any fighter I guess, but VF in particular, because it is probably one of the deepest fighters out there, depending.Im practically clueless when it comes to fighting games (maybe video games all together), so thats why im asking. Thats all I have for now y'all sighing out.

Craigbot and ManuSam like this.
  2. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    To me, the answer is like everything else - dedication & talent. With anything, you need to have knowledge and practice to understand what you're doing. But there are also people who are branded as "talented". These people basically have a better basic skill level for what is required so they are unusually better than your average starter. But to get better they also need knowledge and practice.

I think both of these go hand in hand as the lack of any will mean you won't improve. You can put in 40 hours a week but lacking talent, you'll be unable to get to that "amazing" level you're after. Same with talent, raw talent can only get you so far. You need to be educated and train to improve. It's not to say one is more important than the other, the most important is motivation. Talent is worthless if you don't use it because you give up. So keep trying to improve and you will succeed. =)

3. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Hmm, I think it's not about a high rank or owning everyone.

To me, I think a good player is someone who simply tries to be a good opponent. When I play that means I try to make the match as varied and entertaining as I can for the both of us with the skills I have. I could probably repeat the same attacks and spam my way to winning a match but I'd rather do it legit and with style, (hopefully) knowing that my opponent isn't cussing me out on the other end for being scrubby etc.

At least those are the types of players I like to play, regardless of what rank they are, and in my books that's what makes them 'good'.

Tocuh likes this.
  4. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Of course you have to train and know the game mechanics, but to me the main thing is the good player can adapt quickly to setups and playstyles, and will be able to see the rythm of the opponent's attacks ( basically he could win with spamming 6P for example: The opponent would know what is coming but he wouldn't know the When, and be caught off guard every time).
    About the online/offline, tournament/casual difference, some players can have difficulties to handle the stress of a tournament or play their best in front of other players.
    On the opposite some with adrenaline can be more focused and win more than in casual games ^^ .

Craigbot likes this.
  5. Craigbot

Craigbot Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Craigbot
    I would say that a good player is someone who knows what to do in certain situations when the fight is going on. You could be doing one thing, then your opponent does something else that catches you offguard. What do you do then? You either keep doing the same thing like before or try something else that'll stop your opponent. It's about adapting to the situation you're given at that point and making a good decision. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. You gotta know what to do next and keep it going.

6. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Your rank OBVIOUSLY has something to do with it....duh!

Craigbot and EvenPit like this.
  7. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

What makes a Good strong player?

Wait for it.....

wait for it.........

Personality,Ability,Mentality and Will!!!! Sound off at first but you will soon understand.

Sozos, Satsugai and Craigbot like this.
  8. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

LOL Craigbot you broke that poor girls heart last night u should BE ASHAMED

Craigbot likes this.
  9. Craigbot

XBL:
    Craigbot
    Wait :confused:, I did what o_O? I didn't do anything wrong, she was that good.

10. UroboroSx

UroboroSx Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Gato Negro Jr
    what makes a good player?

dedication, knowledge, respect to the game and the other players & honor.

Craigbot likes this.
  11. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    I think the mark of a good player is how well they deal with loss. Anyone can be happy when they are winning a lot,but how do they handle a loss? If you lose 5 matches in a row and then win 3 in a row after that then you are a good player. You kept your composure and didn't get discouraged. I think the Tricky vs Ttony ft10 is a good example of a good player. Tricky was down but STILL managed to win.

12. Craigbot

XBL:
    Craigbot
    Oh, I understand clearly.

13. Satsugai

Satsugai Well-Known Member

I have to agree with SDS. That being said....
    Know your game like you would a lovers body.
    Refuse to give in, no matter how bad the situation.
    Accept any loss as nothing more than a lesson.
    Have fun and don't let your emotions control your play style.

Of course I say this, but there have been times when playing Tekken (yeah yeah, I now know how bad it really is) and Soul Calibur when I reached a point of mental break and gave up which somehow only made me better. I would literally give up and just play with one hand on the controller then completely walk my opponent. Nothing like hearing a friend shout "How the hell did you beat me one handed?!"

SDS_Overfiend1 and Craigbot like this.
  14. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    He only listed words and didn't really say how that makes you a better player...

Nothing wrong with playing other games. It's better to have an open mind and experience lots of different things than to have a closed one.

Chi

Satsugai likes this.
  15. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Good player...... Knowledge,dedication and Experience!!! Knowledge and dedication are something that all ppl can do, so these all required things combines with the experience show to you the road to become a good player!! For me the key is the experience!!!

16. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    The never give up attitude and the drive to better one's self. I feel as long as you have those 2 things you can be as non-knowledgeable about frame data and what not as you want. Like I don't know how many frames are in a Shoryuken in Street Fighter BUT I know exactly when its vulnerable. If you have these 2 qualities, you'll want to practice and learn what you need to know. I hate to think talent has something to do with it. That makes me feel like no matter what SOMEBODY in the world will be born better than you and to me that's a hot steamy pile of BS. I like to think that somebody with NO knowledge about VF can walk in, with the NEVER GIVE UP attitude and the DRIVE to better himself, and be the best rather than think some Japenese player(Just an example) is already better than me cause he was born that way. It's all in the Practice, Experiance, and the Attitude to be a good player.

17. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

This

and This

Note that talent is not a key component.

EvenPit likes this.
  18. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    yea to be exact about talent i would seperate it to another chapter, not to here!

19. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

You need to be a Stormlord.

Seriously though, you need to have reactions built for a variety of situations. Knowledge isn't enough. Without muscle memory and the reactions to do things properly, you'll end up focusing too much on individual aspects of play which will take your focus off the big picture. Then the game will seem overwhelming. As a general statement, you can't be training as you're playing to win.

But of course, having the time and will to do these things are a big part of training your mind and body.

BlackGeneral, pana, Feck and 2 others like this.
  20. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    @Tricky, lol I watch a lot of Maximilian too.

Tricky likes this.