1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What of VF4's music?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Perhaps I missed it in someone's report - sorry if I have.

What is VF4's music score like?

One more thing - is the joystick/button layout (for North America) like VF3 or VF2 machines? Perhaps I've missed this one too...

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The music can be heard in the GamerWeb (Sega Web) clips, if you have those or have happened to come across a friend who does.

I personally like the music for VF4. There's various sorts (similar styles, but each song seems quite diffferent to me). Some of the tracks include the songs used in the big previews of VF4. For instance, on the rooftop stage, it's the same music as that used in the VF4 teaser where Lau and Pai do their little demo battle (with the beat: bum bum ba-dum bum... etc...).

There was no music (or so I think) on the beta version at SVGL. But there was a Beatmania machine directly across the isle, so I kind of played to that (well, I tend to like the music anyways, I know some people--Feixaq I think--hated that).

If the machine at SVGL was any indication:
    Button layout is best played with index, ring, and middle (irm). I tried using thumb, index, middle (pim) since I prefer that, but it just wasn't happening. Jason Cha persisted in using pim when I played with him, and he could do it well, but not without problems of some sorts.
    Also of note is that the guard button is different from punch and kick. If I recall correctly: Guard was a convex button (woohoo), while Punch and Kick were concave (this almost feels like they were intending Guard to be pressed with the thumb--but it just wasn't happening well on the alignment).

My gripe is that the sticks are perfectly straight-aligned while being too close too each other. Player one's stick and buttons are fine, but directly next to Kick (like an inch) is the P1 Start, next to that directly (like a half inch) is P2 Start, and about an inch from that was P2 stick. I could live with it, but this did bug the hell out of me. I'm a big guy with broad shoulders (or so I think I am), but I'm usually trying to be considerate of the player next to me... Eventually I say "fuck it" and start becoming a cabinet hog. I mean, I felt it was actually worse than the traditional cabinet, but maybe I've just been using deluxe cabinets since my last growth spurt. My main problem is that with the distance almost required to be apart for a guy like me, I often hit diagonals when intending to hit side, etc.... I was not the only person who had problems with the diagonals.... For me, it was due to setup, for some others, they thought it was the stick (I still don't feel it's the stick that much when I played, I felt it was just them being so straight while next to each other). The sticks are WAY better than what Sega of America used to use for VF1,2, and 3 imo. WAY BETTER. But being so close was annoying. An elbow could jab you if your opponent was P1 and likes to bend their arm when using buttons (it's not common, not that bad). Etc....

Other than that, i personally liked the cabinet, but I hope SoA sell standard kits instead of just the whole unit as a "deluxe" cabinet (don't know if I want to call the thing deluxe, I just like the look of it sorta). Though I like it, I have to admit it looks like a weird book stand or artifact holder, just larger.

There's my SVGL test machine report....

3. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

They moved the cabinet, so now it's across from a NBA Hangtime machine and next to Beach Spikers. There IS music in there but it's kinda hard to hear, all I can really make out is a little here and there and stuff I heard in the trailers.

Just a quick followup on the stick layout, the three buttons are in a diagonal row with kick being maybe half an inch higher than guard and punch in between. This is on a test machine though.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I miss the SuperMegalo 50" (or even the MiniMegalo) sit-down cabinets that VF2/3 had in Asia; the ball-and-stick joysticks; and also the *proper* button layout on those machines. *sigh* :(

On a side note, I'm so glad VF4test in SVGL has been moved away from the Beatmania DX machine, the music in that game gets annoying after you've listened to it for the 500th time.

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

feel the bass pumping ur seats while siting on one of those megalo 50 machines~

<font color=red>~~~ 'back off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I miss asian cabinets, PERIOD! For just about every reason. Perhaps the closest thing to them would be some of the arcade cabinets in Las Vegas. Next to that, racing games (and Jurassic Park shooter-- and other deluxe designed games). Next to that... umm, remember the old monitor in table games--look straight down to play style?

Maybe US arcade operators worry about transport (doubt it) or line congestion or something. Maybe not. Or maybe that we do have people that probably wouldn't fit in those types of arcade cabinets (can the biggest of sumo's fit in such cabinets?)... Who knows... but I really love asian style cabinets.

-Chanchai

7. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...I remember when SVGL first got VF2 (it was a test version I think) with the huge 50 inch screen and seats! I think that was when I truly fell in love with VF. I think the cabinet's at Milpitas Golfland now, housing Zero Gunner.