1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

what other fighting gamers do you lot like? n/t

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Drunken_Master, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

i did say no text ok?!

2. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Theres no other fighting game that I play even near as much as VF............my favourite list(3D):
    2. Fighting Vipers 1(soon 2)
    3.Dead or Alive 1(Believe me I like the first game more then the second...many reasons)(saturn)
    4.soul Calibur(DC)/ Dead or Alive 2(DC)
    4.Last Bronx(where is the sequel!!!)-tekken3,pwoerstone..funny inovative..but not to deep in gameplayterms,.bushido blade was also a new direction for fighters.......

I also like 2D fighters like streetfighter 3...or alpha -series,darkstalkers was also very funny,......

What I hate the most is the lack of inovation in fighters........probably...it's very difficult to make concrete steps forward....let's see what VFX has to offer..

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

1) Guilty Gear X -- the game is deep!!!!
    2) Bushido blade 1 {the others sucked!!!!!....) and this is still one of the best games ever made..even rivaling vf series.
    3)street fighter 3 third strike

4. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

mine are street fighter and tekken all my mates dont like virtua fighter so i dont get to fight them much.

ps is it me or soul cailber a bit random?

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Not as random as Tekken.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Umm
    1 VF3 (of course)
    2 SF can't decide between 3rdstrike zero3 and super X :(
    3 Samurai Showdown 2
    4 Art of Fighting (but I have no idea why)
    5 Tekken Tag (It's not a notch on VF but entertaining in a flashy kind of way)

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

3s
    soul calibur
    Mark of the wolves
    Project justice
    SS2X

<font color=red>SummErs' 'PSO '

8. Guest

Guest Guest

hmmmmm..... besides the obvious, sf3: third strike, which is AWESOME!!!!!!

DOA2
    tek tag
    MvsC 2

i like my old school

any jojo's bizzare adventure players here????!!!! ( no joke )

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

but you listed new school stuff/images/icons/tongue.gif

hmm, might as well list the fighting games I like to play, why not.

Main Priority: VF3tb

And the fighting games I play in no order:
    -Third Strike (and any of the Three Series)
    -Hyper Fighting, ST, classic, CE, Super
    -Alpha 3
    -Capcom vs. SNK
    -VF2/2.1, 1 (Arcade or Saturn or even PC)
    -Fighting Vipers
    -Any of the Tekken games
    -Dead or Alive 2 (I actually like this game a lot, especially on arcade reversal settings... arcade reversals are actually logical when you get used to them and emphasize a readiness.... I also love abusing hops in that game).
    -MK 1 and 2 (but I have to be honest, as much as I'm not crazy about MK3, I think it's actually a fine game, but the problems may have been what they didn't take out instead of what they added... at least imo...)
    -Tobal 2 (I just started playing this game, it's gorgeous in every way imo)
    -Dragonball Z 2 (Super Famicom, crazy range combat and energy management as well as being able to force your opponent into close quarter fights, perhaps the most solid control of the DBZ games, non-beam fireball wars are probably the most fun in this game with homing blasts in which you could setup some awesome traps)
    -Dragonball Z 3 (Super Famicom, plays way different from DBZ2 though controls are the same... super fast paced plane switching as well as it being annoying, allowed close combat to be important. Blasts have to be properly used because they are limited compared to before, faster too. Beam wars were slightly altered and intersting)
    -Dragonball Z Shin Butoden (Saturn, I really loved this game except for one thing... the controls were so strict that it was hard getting people to play me in the game. I got used to them, but with how the little room for error that they allowed, most people got frustrated and understandably so. However, there was a lot in this little game and it was fun when there was the competition).

Games I play a bit of:
    -Last Bronx
    -Megamix (I don't take the game too seriously, but I do have fun with it... also, it's humorous seeing what happens when a) there are no counters in a VF-based game b)everything floats--which is why I sometimes call it Virtua Tekken, regarding what happens as a result; c)my favorite part, forsaking the rising attack because you can do ANYTHING while rising. Altogether, this makes for some fun, imo, but not so serious fighting game action).
    -KoF, SS, FF, WH
    -Soul Calibur (still trying to get to a higher level in the game at times and convince myself that it's not random... but the only time I can prove right on that is when I play a boring Mitsurugi style or Kilik style, but that speaks more to my limitations in the game... just too many strong offensive options against defense options that require heavy precision).
    -Dead or Alive
    -GGX (I enjoy the game, just a bit too frantic for me, but at least they implemented a Vs. series combo engine with a lot of counteroffensive options and no beams.... So far from my experiences, the game's got as heavy offensive action as you can get with ways to break the offense and chance of strong retaliation, not bad).
    -Just about any fighting game, I'll give it a shot at least.

Games I really enjoy playing in the 1on1, but I still don't count as fighting games, (but I call them combat games, which is really misc.. 1on1):

-VOOT (My God!!! Finally seeing seasoned players playing this game and the wealth of replay files out there, pure genius in its design. Finally having a twinstick and a DC link cable, what a difference! People working on making it netplayable in the US--let's hope it happens, beta testing may happen soon... an accessory is required if it happens).
    -VOOM (brilliant still, but I love VOOT more)
    -Bushido Blade 1 (a classic and I do love it, but I can't play it anymore... either my mind was on LSD when I used to play it a lot or I'm just getting more impatient to the slowness of the game with the years.... Wonderful memories of intense "whoever gets to 100 victories first" battles)
    -Bushido Blade 2 (the BB1 purists would shoot me now, I can hear Shadowdean cursing me for this, but I actually like Bushido Blade 2, though I admit it was really simple to play, but there was a lot to it and the battles got pretty intense against good opponents)
    -Super/Saturn Bomberman
    -Original T-Mek (many revisions and I only like the first versions of this game, Atari's version of CyberSled, Cyber Sled is more solid though)
    -Cyber Sled (simple, classic, fun)
    -Space Lord (an arcade with two monitors and 2on2 action where one person on each side was a wingman and the other a pilot, dueling it out in space, fun dogfight action at the arcades for those who loved their space/fantasy "sims")
    -Some FPS games, but I won't get into that, just say that Quake 2 is still my favorite, but I sure do play a lot of different ones...

-Chanchai

10. Chanchai

OT: Kengo...

Man... just looked at movies from Kengo for PS2...

What did they do to that game?! By itself, it looks good on stills and even in motion... you see slashing with no results... Man, they really bastardized that game... Supers?! Not to mention how lame the supers are in themselves...

It almost looks like all you have to do is build up your meter, deflect your opponent's attack, and do the super.... ughh, I hope I'm wrong... But man, whatever movies I'm watching, it's looking rather depressing...

-Chanchai

P.S. I have to admit that the movies were definitely low-tier, testing out the game kinda playing... No real knowledge of the system. I liked Bushido Blade for what it was... Kengo seems like it's just another fighting game by the makers of Bushido Blade... I can see intense matches coming out of the game, and that's good in its own right, and at least they changed the name... but it's still kind of sad I guess (especially with how many times you just chop through your opponent with no effect)... anyways...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

re:but you listed new school stuff

sorry, i haven't been playing games that long.

if you want old school, i play SF2T when i can!!!!

i've got it on a snes emulator. speaking of which, anybody played the KOF games on the gameboy????? God they're so cool!!!!!!!!!

i used to play a game called weaponlord on the snes too

old school enough????

12. Chanchai

Oh wow, you mentioned a game I forgot to put on my list. Weaponlord. I personally loved this game. Wouldn't call it old-school, it was pretty ahead of its time... perhaps too much so. Anyways, a lot of the concepts in Weaponlord ended up being reimplemented in Soul Edge and Soul Calibur (Weaponlord was published by Namco for the Mega Drive and Super Famicom). Gosh, that was such a fun game for me. Very unique, but since it was a console fighter, pads were good at wearing out peoples' thumbs... especially since that game required a lot of "hold this attack button and do this motion on d-pad, then let go of attack button." As far as I can tell, that had to be the first use of parrying in a post-SF2 fighting game. However, Samurai Showdown had some form of deflecting, did it not?

-Chanchai

13. Guest

Guest Guest

one thing i loved about weapon lord was the sick fatality combos!!!!!!!!!!!

did you ever work out how to scalp players??????? i heard it was possible to takes items and hair from them.

14. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

weaponlord, i still have this game. never liked
    it, it had great potential, and a very unique
    system. but that was probably what killed it, the
    system...

imo, i think they over did it. you see, the hold
    the button down first-then do the joystick motion
    was confusing. i understand that the confusion
    comes from years of SF2's system burned in our
    brains but it just didn't seem NATURAL. what if
    someone made a 2d fighting where jump forward is
    down, walk forward is left? that would be fucked
    up! same thing with weaponlord.... it was just
    ..fucked up. it would of been a great fighter if
    it was released at the arcades (too bad namco
    canned that idea). arcade version would have more
    animation, better sound, crisper gxf, and
    gameplay fixes/bug removals. the stuff that was
    good like thrust block, different variations of
    power strike, the guard drop..ect should be kept,
    the weapon to weapon 'guessing game' (bigger
    strike versus smaller strike) was a good part of
    the game. the game had potential but somebody
    fucked up.

ps. if replying please do it in the general
    discussion forum, its name its doa2 forum, it
    just needs a name change. *HINT*! ;p

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

15. Chanchai

Nah, I'm gonna respond right here/images/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, it was easy to scalp your opponent, you just had to experiment and find it (or look it up in a faq or something, but this was way back in the day when the net was barely in the mass public's eye).

Pic: So does the game really suck because YOU couldn't control it? Took me some time to get used to, but I eventually had no problem with handling the game after awhile. Heck, the whole "negatives" aspect, the way the game worked by holding the button then doing motions, can be done in Capcom vs. SNK and some people play naturally that way (though I don't).

"negatives" are nothing like switching the directions on the pad, gimme a break. Was the game fucked up or just your ability to play that way? You can dwell on the bugs or maybe some dominant tactic that killed the game, or some crazy imbalance... But because *YOU* couldn't control it in the light that *others could* doesn't seem to make the game *fucked up* to me. It just seems to be of a different appeal.

I have to admit, the control scheme forced you to have a pretty good guessing game against your opponent for at least the first while, getting used to the controls, but I really loved this aspect. Besides, this method of control killed most forms of mashing or at least discouraged it by rewarding someone who wasn't sure of what they were doing with a high chance of a long execution attack.

-Chanchai

P.S. Again, I said it before and I'll say it again, "it was probably too much ahead of its time," not everyone got used to it, however, spending a bit of time, I loved the game overall.

16. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Yeah Sam Showdown had parries but not for low moves I think also the motion was a lot more time consuming than an SF3 parry (qcb,f+d).I was a big fan of the rolls from running introduced in Sam 2 they were kind of like the KOF rolls but only forward and not quite as effective,also had these d,d,super low crouches and surprise exchange style moves as well as the suicide moves which gave you a full super bar the next round and weren't quite as humiliating as the surrender moves in Bushido Blade :).

17. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Ohh...I have got to add Samurai Showdown 2 and 4, tobal 2 when I get the chance...non fighting - a lot of virtua tennis.hehe

18. Chanchai

For the Guilty Gear X fans...

I'm definitely not a GGX player (it is indeed a fun game, I just don't have it and don't play it, but would if asked too/images/icons/smile.gif).

Anyways, thought I would let the GGX fans know, some strategy video and book combination is coming out really soon (beginning of February) for the game in Japan. Wish I had more details, but that's all I know in case you guys are interested. Don't know if it will be good or bad, but you guys might want to check it out. I'm guessing Piccolo's interested?

Import dealers might offer them.

Oh yeah, the missing detail I did hear: 3150 yen, focuses on the arcade version (naturally).

-Chanchai