1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

what other fighting styles would be interesting in VF?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BK__, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Personally Brazillian Ju-Jitsu would be a great style to incorparate into the game.

You have to basic strikes for the character, but most of his strikes(kicks and punches)would be to set up his large amouts of throws, larger than anyone else in the game.

He would also have a cradle technique okizeme. In which he covers his opponent once on the group and has a large string of attacks,

I think if they did make a brazilian ju-jitsu character he would be okizeme heavy and hold heavy. No flashy throws like wolf

More like different holds that can spawn strings of attacks.

I dont know too much about Ju-jitsu but I think my idea would work..

2. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>Umm... Vanessa uses Vale Tudo which is Brazilian Ju-jitsu. And while not fulfilling being "large" in your requirement, she fits the bill pretty well as you describe it. Why don't you check her out and see what you think then...</font color=yellow>

<font color=orange>"What was that? An exhibition?!?" - Bruce Lee</font color=orange>

3. BlueFlash

BlueFlash Active Member

Yes, Sarah looks like Ken Lo from Drunken Master 2, she should have all of his tricks and the crazy kicks of Hwang Jang Lee from Drunken Master 1, (i.e. jumping triple side kick, i bet it makes it to 5!) Concerning other styles, hrmm, these are what I'd like to see in VF5:

White Eyebrow Kung Fu
    Southern Praying Mantis
    Monkey Style
    Ryo Hazuki-san Karate, done by no other =)
    If I think of any others, post later.

4. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hmmm i dunno if he did or not but the last i seen of a virtua fighter type of weapon game is Last Bronx for the Sega Saturn...

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

where have you guyz been the last couple of years?? in caves or something??

Last bronx from AM3 on the model 2 board was released in the arcades around 1995, in the same year as VF3... the game system has a G+P+K layout the same as VF and similar combos such as PPPK, or PPP as such. Yes the game is wepon based and arguably better than soul blade in some ways, but the game (as i can tell) was quite underground.

the game system unlike VF however relied on it's G-canceling combos.. in order to pull off a heavy damage combo, you had to cancel other combos into particular moves example:

Joe: (uses nunchakas) b,f+p,k(G-cancel) f+p,k(G-cancel) f+p,k(G-cancel) df,df+p,p

that would most probably get you about 5 hits in total, but alot of damage... the other aspect of last bronx is it's rolling system (g+p+k together performs a small front roll), this allows you to sneak under the foes attacks and hold them into a throw (also activated in VF motions like b,f+p+g, or f,f+p.. however more similar to Vf2 where it's not always p+g to finish).. after it's years in the arcades, it then made it's way to the sega saturn where it picked up anime FMVs and endings, in fact, i own it ^_^... there are a number of famous wepons included..

Joe - Nunckakas
    Yusaku - 3-peice-staff (has similar akira throws)
    Lisa - double short sticks
    Nagi - sais (a lesbian attracted to yoko)
    Zaimouku - mallet (jeffry-like character)
    Yoko - tongfers (very boyish woman)
    Tommy - staff
    Korosawa - thort stick (ex nagi's boyfriend)

it's quite deep, i'll even explain more if ppl want, but it's was the first and last of the series, but it's quite old by now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

yeah, i have that game; too bad i could never find good FAQs on it, so i never got the chance to do some really good stuff in it. i'll have to try that joe combo when i get the chance. strange thing is the game comes with a combo tutorial, which is very nice.

the game is a bit more anime, i agree w/you on that.

7. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>It's one thing for a game "like" VF with weapons to come out but did </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Yu Suzuki</font color=orange><font color=yellow> make that game? I just did a search and didn't see any connection between the two. Enlighten me. There have been several of adequate games out there trying to do the same thing. But no one creates masterpieces as well as </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Suzuki-san</font color=orange><font color=yellow> does. And that's what I'm talking about here. I want </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Yu Suzuki</font color=orange><font color=yellow> to make that weapon game. Not just anybody...</font color=yellow>

8. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

they should put in Brazilian Jui-jitsu. Vale Tudo is not Brazilian Jui-jitsu. true that almost every fighter that fights Vale Tudo matches do Brazilian Jui-jitsu because you have to understand the groundgame too. a fight doesn't just stop on the ground, like so many other arts. but Vale Tudo means more like combat without many rules.
    I think it would be a big challenge to put a Brazilian Jui-jitsu fighter in Virtua Fighter, because then you have to focus
    more on the groundgame. also which you see in VF4 when an armbar is applied, there goes only some damage off. but in a real fight, you will tap like crazy and the fight is over.

my othe roption would be wing chun. that would be awesome, this is something I think can be very well done. it would be great if they would uses sticky hands. that you can actually use a sticky hand technique on your opponents. I am sure that would rock.

9. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

It's one thing for a game "like" VF with weapons to come out but did Yu Suzuki make that game? I just did a search and didn't see any connection between the two. Enlighten me. There have been several of adequate games out there trying to do the same thing. But no one creates masterpieces as well as Suzuki-san does. And that's what I'm talking about here. I want Yu Suzuki to make that weapon game. Not just anybody...

dude, Sega is not yu suzuki alone.. sega is split into so many divisions nowadyays it's not even funny... back in the dayz, there were 3 main arcade divisions of sega (also famous consumer divisions like team andromida and sonic team)

AM1- house of the dead, dynamite dekka, manx TT superbike, golden axe(retro) ....etc

AM2-(yu suzki being the head) virtua fighter, virtua cop, daytona usa, scud race, sonic fighters, rent-a-hero(megadrive), fighting vipers, after burner, outrun, g-lock, space harrier, shenmue....etc

AM3- last bronx, sega rally1, virtual on1, decathalete, winter heat, gunblade NY, la machineguns, le mans 24, harley davidson LA riders,.....etc

as these arcade divisions alone, they all made some of the greatest and well-known arcade games ever created in history, so any part of sega is not just anybody which is why last bronx was an awsome game and classic to sega's usual performance.

any part of sega could have done VF4 right..

10. bottleneck

bottleneck New Member

Definately someone who learned how to fight in an alley.Someone from the hood. There are so many possibilities for that. At the beginning of the match he calls the opponent bitch and so on. His throw would be something like he grabs the opponents back and stabs them in the stomach repeatedly with a knife, and then he'd be able to stomp on them when they're on the ground (not like Lau, why the hell does he have to spin?!? hit them again!). Another move could be that he hits the opponent in the crotch and of course kicks them in the head when they're down. Simple brutality. His ending movie could be him smoking pot or he could have Pot Points during the game too. Or just swearing somemore.

11. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=blue>any part of sega could have done VF4 right..</font color=blue>
    <font color=yellow>Any part? OK... If you say so... The only things that have me excited are the ones that Suzuki-san actually has a hand in. I can trust in his craftsmanship. Of course, I admit not being a big supporter of Dreamcast or Saturn. Sony owned the market when Dreamcast should ahve been making its move. The only products that stood out from all those Sega products to an outsider like me were the Sega Rally series, NFL2k series, NBA2k series, and Virtua Fighter series. Soul Calibur was, of course, a Namco product and therefore was marketed better to the rest of us than Last Bronx. I hadn't heard of it until this thread. Until I play it, I'll always consider the Namco product better than that Sega product. I'm much more familiar with their work and trust it as well. But like I said, if you say so...</font color=yellow>

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sigh..... i'm by no means a "sega fan" i merely study the games industry in general, if i were you, i would'nt stick to just yu suzuki like nintendo relies on shigeru myamoto.. it's not about the company, the person, the console or the popularity, it's about only the games. and good games come from all over.

it's not the saturn, but the games i remember... it's not dreamcast, or sega, but the games i still play. and it's not the up-comming console i will get, but the games i want.

popularity means nothing to me. if it did, i would have missd out on some of the greatest works in the history of video gaming.. what did sony ever do for anyone apart from supply the console? namco would get my respect if their lips were'nt glued to their ass all the damn time. for what? money?

surely not technology! bwahahahahaha!!

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

just to be OT, i think that judo would be a funny thing to see in VF ^_^ ... give wolf & jeff some competition.

14. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

what did sony ever do for anyone apart from supply the console?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i'm by no means a "sega fan" i merely study the games industry in general, if i were you, i would'nt stick to just yu suzuki like nintendo relies on shigeru myamoto.. it's not about the company, the person, the console or the popularity, it's about only the games. and good games come from all over.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>duh... Agreed, that's why I mentioned Namco as well. Still, you must agree that quality begets quality. When you see a name like Yu Suzuki, Namco or Hideo Kojima, you build a trust in craftsmanship. My reason for mentioning Suzuki-san as creator/director is because I like his quality of work (I may be a fool for thinking this but I assume that you like it by virtue of your posting here). That, by no means, indicates that I will not entertain other games made by other companies. Besides, the VF series is a projection of who Suzuki-san is: he's a quality video game maker and the VF series is a quality video game. I've already seen Namco's attempt at the issue.

BTW, I study the industry too. I have a BS in Business Administration/Marketing/Advertising. Last Bronx must have been a small market endeavor by Sega. They definitely didn't do much to push the consoles or the game.</font color=yellow>

it's not the saturn, but the games i remember... it's not dreamcast, or sega, but the games i still play. and it's not the up-comming console i will get, but the games i want.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>Spoken like a true gamer. Of course, that means you have to buy the console to play the games. Without it, you have no game to play. The games need the console as much as the console needs the games. Case in point: DOA 3... No way can this game be run on PS2. DOA 3 needed XBox and, apparently, XBox still needs DOA 3. It is the most glorious game I have ever seen on any system. I'm sure that Halo is even better but I'm not into shooters. Soul Calibur is a glorious game too but with the death knell already sung for Dreamcast, It's not only stopped thinking: people have stopped thinking about it too. Really, who's going to buy a great game if the console is dead? Not many... And how long are they going to keep the putting money into so small a market as that? Not very long I wager...

That brings us to...</font color=yellow>

popularity means nothing to me. if it did, i would have missd out on some of the greatest works in the history of video gaming.. what did sony ever do for anyone apart from supply the console? namco would get my respect if their lips were'nt glued to their ass all the damn time. for what? money?

surely not technology! bwahahahahaha!!

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>That's cool. Popularity means only as much as I know I can play with other people. Really, what good is knowing all this VF4 knowledge and wisdom if you don't get the chance to play with other gamers? It's worthless I say! Otherwise, play the game on its own merits. And if you think a game is great, no one can tell you that you're wrong.

As for Sony's contribution to software...
    <font color=yellow>The </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Gran Turismo </font color=orange><font color=yellow>series is a living legend among video racing enthusiasts. The level of play and replay potential alone make it a favorite among lovers of the genre. Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) is renown for this particular product across world and a big reason people buy the consoles.</font color=yellow>
    <font color=orange>Parrapa the Rapper and Um Lammer Jammy</font color=orange><font color=yellow> opened up a a genre that had been previously unexplored: music and rhythm as a video game. It remains popular even through now and has spawned the likes of the </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Dance Dance Revolution</font color=orange><font color=yellow> series and </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Bust a Groove</font color=orange><font color=yellow> series.</font color=yellow>
    <font color=yellow>The </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Crash Bandicoot</font color=orange><font color=yellow> series developed by Naughty Dog but owned by SCEA is on par with the </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Zelda</font color=orange> series and may in fact be more played as well as more bought. For that matter, </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Jak & Daxter</font color=orange><font color=yellow> is moving in the same footsteps.</font color=yellow>
    <font color=orange>Battle Arena Toshinden</font color=orange><font color=yellow> is an integral part of video gaming, Sony and SCEA lore in that it was the flagship offering of the console and game that established Sony, SCEA and the PS brand in America and the gaijin market...

Other than that, your absolutely right. Sony really only supplied the console and Namco and Square, for that matter, just kiss Sony's butt. Let's just conveniently forget that Namco and Square own a goodly portion of the market on their own merits, a'ight?</font color=yellow>
    /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

15. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Re: what did sony ever do for anyone apart from supply the console?

FYI, just so you know, a certain Mr. Kataoka and Mr. Katagiri are just as essential to VF's development as Suzuki, although they sadly only get second billing compared to "the man". Fortunately they also have their own spinoff fighting game series that allows their talents to truly shine.

Other than that, I can find a lot of your assessments just plain wrong:

The Crash Bandicoot series developed by Naughty Dog but owned by SCEA is on par with the Zelda series and may in fact be more played as well as more bought.

<hr></blockquote>
    This is just plain WRONG. Every Zelda available sells millions in every territory. Crash may have been the only US mascot to ever hit it off well in Japan but he can still only manage to move a couple hundred thousand.

For that matter, Jak & Daxter is moving in the same footsteps.

<hr></blockquote>
    FYI, Jak and Daxter has experienced disappointing sales in all territories. It doesn't seem to be a good time for "original" character-based platformers - IIRC Maximo hasn't been doing very well either.

Battle Arena Toshinden is an integral part of video gaming, Sony and SCEA lore in that it was the flagship offering of the console and game that established Sony, SCEA and the PS brand in America and the gaijin market...

<hr></blockquote>
    Yeah but who the hell remembers Toshinden fondly nowadays? Most people were impressed until they soon realized how shallow it really was. This wasn't Sony BTW, but Takara/Tamsoft.

16. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

OT for me, but this is definetely something I would love to see in VF: More humble/modest characters!!!

I am just sick of Lion's "Why am I so great?", Jacky's " ..... You're way outta your league", Vanessa's "You're all talk! You can't win with that Technique", and basically most of the characters winning phrases!! What's with with the big talk anyways?? :O

17. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Winners can say what they like. The weak have no say in life.

18. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

WRONG?!?!? I think not...

FYI, just so you know, a certain Mr. Kataoka and Mr. Katagiri are just as essential to VF's development as Suzuki, although they sadly only get second billing compared to "the man". Fortunately they also have their own spinoff fighting game series that allows their talents to truly shine.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>Thanks for pointing that one out, Zero-chan. I'll give you props for that one. I didn't know this. But firstly, let's remember where my response came from...</font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=yellow>The </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Crash Bandicoot </font color=orange><font color=yellow>series developed by Naughty Dog but owned by SCEA is on par with the </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Zelda </font color=orange><font color=yellow>series and may in fact be more played as well as more bought.</font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>

This is just plain WRONG. Every Zelda available sells millions in every territory. Crash may have been the only US mascot to ever hit it off well in Japan but he can still only manage to move a couple hundredthousand.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>WRONG?!?!?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.naughtydog.com/legacy/crash/world.htm>Check out this link: http://www.naughtydog.com/legacy/crash/world.htm</a>.
    At about 3/4 the way down the page you'll read that Jason Rubin of Naughty Dog accepted the "Gold Prize" at Sony's '97 PlayStation Awards. The award acknowledges Crash Bandicoot's top ten sales success in Japan.</font color=yellow> <font color=white>The award is for sales of 500,000 units or more in Japan...</font color=white> <font color=yellow> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.scea.com/news/press_example.asp?ReleaseID=9519>Check out this link: http://www.scea.com/news/press_example.asp?ReleaseID=9519</a>
    From the first paragraph of the link: FOSTER CITY, Calif., February 25, 1999 -- In less than three years since Crash Bandicoot, first debuted exclusively for the PlayStation, game console, Sony Computer Entertainment America's popular videogame hero has hit legendary status by </font color=yellow><font color=white>selling more than 11.5 million total units to date</font color=white><font color=yellow>. With </font color=yellow><font color=white>more than 1.2 million units sold </font color=white><font color=yellow>in North America since its November launch, Crash Bandicoot: WARPED, the third installment to the Crash Bandicoot series, continues the impressive heritage as PlayStation's highly-acclaimed and best-selling character-based franchise. [emphasis added for effect]

Where did you get that sales figure of 'couple hundred thousand' from? Or were you just shooting from your mouth off to look cool to the rest of the mighty VFDC faithful? This just in:</font color=yellow> <font color=white>Crack is bad for you.</font color=white>

<font color=yellow>For that matter, </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Jak & Daxter </font color=orange><font color=yellow>is moving in the same footsteps.<font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>

FYI, Jak and Daxter has experienced disappointing sales in all territories. It doesn't seem to be a good time for "original" character-based platformers - IIRC Maximo hasn't been doing very well either.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>No hard sales figures yet on </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Jak & Daxter</font color=orange><font color=yellow>. <font color=yellow>. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gamingxpress.com/archives/12_27_01.doc>And this one: http://www.gamingxpress.com/archives/12_27_01.doc The fact that it's on any Top Sales list should indicate to you that it's making money. So you're going to have to explain what "disappointing sales in all territories" means. Does that mean that it's not making projected sales figures? What sales targets were they shooting for in the first, second and third quarter and how much did they miss them by? Have you got any better sources and who are they? Or do you know something that the industry doesn't know yet?

As for </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Maximo</font color=orange><font color=yellow>, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=2491>here's one link: http://www.consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=2491</a> and <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gameaddicts.net/articles/>here's another: http://www.gameaddicts.net/articles/</a>. Again you'll have to explain what "Maximo hasn't been doing very well" too: Does that mean that it's not making projected sales figures? What sales targets were they shooting for in the first, second and third quarter and how much did they miss them by? Have you got any better sources and who are they? Or do you know something that the industry doesn't know yet?

If you're saying you don't like it, that's one thing I can respect. But if you're going to use industry jargon like "disappointing sales" or "not doing very well", come strong or don't come at all when you take on a post like mine. Back it up like I just backed mine up right here. Otherwise, we're all going to know that your just being a jerk and that you'll do anything to look cool in front of others. Stop throwing around language, post intelligently and people will respect you for it. People hate wasting time on what's supposed to be the truth and find out that it's not. This is truth: </font color=yellow><font color=white>People hate dealing with lies and half-truths.</font color=white> <font color=yellow>Don't waste my time with something weak. Or I will continue to point out how silly your post is. Like this:</font color=yellow>

<font color=orange>Battle Arena Toshinden </font color=orange><font color=yellow>is an integral part of video gaming, Sony and SCEA lore in that it was the flagship offering of the console and game that established Sony, SCEA and the PS brand in America and the gaijin market... </font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah but who the hell remembers Toshinden fondly nowadays? Most people were impressed until they soon realized how shallow it really was. This wasn't Sony BTW, but Takara/Tamsoft.

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>OK, whatever... You haven't really put up any opposition to what I wrote but you failed miserably to understand my post in relation to the question posed by bare_knuckle93. He didn't ask if people remember </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Battle Arena Toshinden</font color=orange><font color=yellow>; he wanted to know: </font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>
    <font color=yellow>FYI, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.scea.com/games/categories/fighting/toshind/>look at the bottom of this page: http://www.scea.com/games/categories/fighting/toshind/</a>. </font color=yellow><font color=orange>Battle Arena Toshinden </font color=orange><font color=yellow>is a trademark property of SCEA: Sony owns it. Sony distributed it. And it's not a console... Therefore, Sony does more for people apart from supplying the console as you, Zero-chan, and bare_knuckle93 have so eloquently been made witness to...

So what did you find wrong with my post again? If English is your second language, then excuse me and forgive my misunderstanding, Zero-chan. I'm feeling harassed for posts that are correct on my end yet receive faulty replies from others. You are welcome to your repost rebuttal to my post. That goes for you, too, bare_knuckle93. I know how tough it is for foreigners to speak the language and I forgive you if you wrote the wrong thing or put the wrong emphasis in your vernacular and colloquialisms. It can be tough if you don't use English every day like I do. I can forgive shortcomings like that. In that English is your second or third language, I humbly ask that you forgive my tirade. I don't want any misunderstandings here and I come to post in peace. I only bring my thunder if people bring theirs.

Your turn...</font color=yellow>
    /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: WRONG?!?!? I think not...

Can this part of the thread be moved? It has nothing to do with the topic....

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Re: WRONG?!?!? I think not...

sigh....facts and businesses.....

such is the scummy games industry today ever since that company stuck their rear end into the market, what the bloody hell does facts and marketing tell me about good games..

certainly not Crash Bandicoot or Toshinden (FYI, Toshinden was also released on the saturn, so don't wet your pants over it..). if you want to go by sales, try harry potter games or fifa series, you telling me those are the breaking points of video gaming?.... no thank you, i'd rather go back and buy the games i missed on the snes rather than waste my time on such franchises. besides that, my main point was that yu suzuki is not all sega and nothing else... when i said "what did sony ever do apart from supply the console" it was retorical, since i know all the silly little facts about sony's attempts at making "good" games.

when yu suzuki is singled out, it reminds me of yuji naka & naoto oshima's partnership in the early days of sega, together, they created sonic the hedgehog.. as oshima drew up the final design sketches of the character, yuji created his personnality and created who sonic is (or was)... however, i only see yuji's name poping up everywhere when ever a new sonic or sonic team game is announced.. it's not one person who makes a game, it's the team, and i seriously feel sorry for mr. myamoto of nintendo for getting so relied apon.

what describes this games industry today if the public relies apon only a handful of developers to make good games? and i say again... "what did sony ever do for anyone but supply the console?"

>they replaced game originallity with marketing stratergies and multimedia equiptment.
    >they destroyed targeted home audience for kids or just pure enjoyment of games.

And i hope microsoft kick them right up the ass......