1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What Strategy Gets Under Your Skin?

Discussion in 'General' started by CiscoRey, Nov 8, 2007.

1. CiscoRey

CiscoRey Well-Known Member

So yeah, while Virtua Fighter 5 is loads of fun to play (especially over XBL) it still isn't without its moments of utter frustration.

We've all been there. You're sitting there playing an opponent and all of a sudden he breaks out the most ANNOYING strategy! You could almost punch a hole through your screen.

So which strategy gets under your skin the most?

The 'side-step everything!' strategy use to make my blood boil. That was until I found some quick sweeping attacks which discouraged people from tapping /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif.

2. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

lau and lei-fei players that use the same string over and over again. I can beat em but it still annoys me to no end.

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

people who stay long range the whole battle. I beat them but it's more fun to be mid to close range for eileen. It's a good strat to beat her though so I can't hate.

4. CiscoRey

I just anticipate the low attacks when fighting Lei-Fei. And I make sure to throw out a low-punch to interrupt his strings. You don't want that guy to get going.

5. CiscoRey

You know, I usually have an issue with the ones who move in and out waiting for you to wiff an attack. For those people, I've made good use of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

Eileen is awesome for long range battle. She has a decent variety of long range attacks. It's just a matter of being clever with them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

6. Black_Ant

Black_Ant Well-Known Member

I seem to have a lot of trouble with people that keep long distances between us. I'm much better from close range and not very good at moving. I usually have to get in close and stay there. Keep your distance from me and I will screw up and give you all kinds of openings.

7. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

Eileen is definitely not awesome at long range. If a good player gets you to stay in long range with solid spacing, he will pick you apart. Eileen is about pressure mix ups, which require the closest range possible.

Her mid range game is decent (46P, 6K, etc); her long range game = /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

8. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I was gonna say (about eileens long range game). I was playing against this awesome Lei Fei player all night yestereday, He was a cool guy so I added him and we played the entire night. And it was incredibly hard to get near him and long range attacks didn't help much.

it was also great to see some real lei fei fighting

9. CiscoRey

I don't know, I've been pretty successful against those who distance themselves. I mean I agree, she's especially efficient in close range battle. But I find her close range arsenal to be limited once you start dealing with frequent side-steppers (which is the case when fighting most of the advanced players who prefer close battle). At this point I prefer distance. That's when I use the following:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and its mix ups
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Of course you have to implement timing and anticipation. But it sure beats relying on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif against people who know how to side step Eileen's close-rang mix ups.

10. SweepTheLeg

If people start habitually stepping your strings, then you need to start dominating them with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. It's full circular and leaves Eileen BT -- from this point you can sweep them with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif; when you've conditioned them to crouch, BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will crouch stagger them, allowing guaranteed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif punishment or you can try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

I lick my chops (figuratively) when people get step-happy vs. EI. After a few of these mix ups, they'll be frightened to evade (at least for a little while) thus opening up your linear Zenk mix ups again.

11. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

thanks for that advice, will definatly help my game

12. CiscoRey

Yeah, I've started doing the sweeping moves to stop them. I stray from /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif though, because of its slow execution. Some of these step-happy players are really quick on their feet and anticipate sweeping. Instead I've learned to slightly delay my attack with a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. This interrupts early and late side-steps enough to discourage users from doing it. That's when I break out the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif mix up variations.

13. SweepTheLeg

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to argue with you my friend, it seems like you have your own techniques and that is great.

K+G is fantastic though; it kills steppers and sets up devastating options afterwards. It's 25i execution speed doesn't really come into play if you know your opponent will evade. Check out Gorgeous (JPN) on YouTube -- one of the best (perhaps the best) Eileen players in the world. He uses Zenk stuff until people begin stepping and then utilizes K+G to perfection.

Again though, delayed attacks are a perfectly acceptable and effective way to deal with evaders. You mentioned delayed 6P+K -- I also like delayed 46P after their failed evade, leading to an easy damaging combo and favorable oki afterwards.

14. CiscoRey

Not arguing--just constructive debate. Question though, does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cover as much horizontal space as plain /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif? Because I like its properties over the other's. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it evades low-punch as well. I'll have to try it. They need to implement sweeping properties into the wiki movelists on this site. That would help a lot.

Anyway, I'll check that dude's videos. Majority of the Eileen users I come across online are uninspiring. You and I will have to set up a match sometime. Thanks for the insight.

15. SweepTheLeg

Re: 4K+G question -- it is only half circular as compared to K+G's full circular property.

16. Attorney4Hire

Attorney4Hire Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Roperband
    To answer the original post, people who delay their strikes into single moves. This works well with Lau.

17. TojiDestro

TojiDestro Well-Known Member

People who do the same one pattern of moves repeatedly. It's a sign they either don't care about the game, or they don't take the game or their opponent even a little seriously.

18. CiscoRey

Yeah, this gets under my skin as well, but only when their patterns aren't well thought out. There's no worse feeling than losing to a mindless, simple string.

But I do find myself using one string more than other strings. However, I'll vary it up with delays, cancels, etc. The exception is when I play an annoying Lei-Fei masher. Those guys will get straight cheesed. If they don't care then I don't care either.

19. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

That little bit of comments between ciscorey and sweeptheleg really belongs in the eileen thread as I'm sure they'd all love to look at it. I personally love close range for reasons sweep said (I got those from him) but I also like it for it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which leads to her various mixups. I don't mean randomly throwing it out only after her good close range moves. It leaves you at the ideal range to mess with someone and if they decide to attack you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif them right out of w/e it was. They become very afraid to counter attack after that.

I too haven't met and eileen online that can beat mine yet, there are however players who can beat me with other chars. That said I think the three of our eileen need to get into a room and duke it out. Though my money is on sweep.

20. TojiDestro

TojiDestro Well-Known Member

and lets not forget cowards that disconnect. Another bad strategy.