1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What Strategy Gets Under Your Skin?

Discussion in 'General' started by CiscoRey, Nov 8, 2007.

1. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Haha, online anyway, I couldn't resist getting SOME VF'n in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

2. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

All this bitching and no mention of mediocre players relying on the infinite Lei strings and a modicum of trickiness to challenge players much better than themselves?! My cat can take a round off most of you with Lei if I put some tuna on the buttons...

(I'm totally willing to take the heat for this post, just so I can vent!)

3. cadorna

cadorna Well-Known Member

HAHAHA, brilliant! (GGs btw)

4. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lei Fei is a little bitch. I don't mind playing a good Lei Fei but ultra-noobs can button mash with him and still pull off a win. Try that with Akira!!!

I played a 10th Kyu Akira two days ago and he was desperately trying to button mash. We'll just leave it at: "it didn't work too well." Button mashing with Akira could easily be considered the worst tactic in the entire VF series! He was soundly beaten to a pulp, and fast.

That same dude, however, button mashing with Lei Fei, might just have had a chance...

5. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

I have no problem with weak and medium Lei personally, but strong Lei's are very hard.

He is basically the most powerful character, right? He is complicated, so most guys don't use him right, but when someone is decent with him, he has not only Lei's awesome power to help him, but the fact that most people are so ignorant of the properties of his moves.

I think he is a cool addition to the game and very stylish, but when I fight against a good Lei, I find myself wishing that he were toned down a bit. Whereas if I lose to Adam Yuki, as I am wont to do, I never think Jeff needs to be toned down.

6. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

I think some of that is inherent to Lei-fei's style. His moves feel very.... rythmic, if that's the right word. That is, once he starts hitting you, he tends to just keep doing it, unless you can recognize exactly which moves he's using, and already know how to interrupt them. But, once he's been interrupted, he tends to take a lot of damage, and need to really work to get getting again.

Unfortunately, that means his matches end up feeling extremely one sided, usually regardless of who wins.

7. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

I have no idea what he is doing at any given time, or whether whatever dance move he is doing hits me mid or high or low; it all looks the same to me. I have read his move list and an explanation of what his stances mean to his ability to block or strike, but really, at the fast pace of the game, it is all useless to me. I find I need to shut him down before he gets going, and use a lot of pressure on a rising Lei. I also use a lot of reversals in my game ,and I cannot read any of Lei's moves in order to reverse them. Too many are double-limb anyway.

8. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Lei-fei is definitely among the subset of characters that you do *not* want to be using many reversals against (and I'm an Aoi player saying that). He tends to have very small disadvantages on block, and he has a lot of options at any given time. Going for reversals or throws is usually just asking for a counter hit. Your average lei-fei player doesn't actually use many of his options(I think many people who play him can't keep track of his stances well enough themselves, so they just find one thing they know works)... so just find their one pattern, block until you can get in a low punch, and then keep hitting him.

9. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    The random hits that hit when they shouldn't like alot of Shun's attacks. They seem so idiotic and yet they still connect somehow in a way that seems like they shouldn't. This always happens when I play Shun characters and it gets on my last nerve.

10. KingZeal

KingZeal Well-Known Member

I understand all the Lei-Fei hate. Button-mashers are always annoying.

However, my most hated VF tactic is the use of characters like Pai, Shun, El Blaze, Kage, or any other character that has a long-range knockdown move. (Such as Kage's and Pai's 66K+G or El Blaze's 6K+G mixups.) All these players do is get a quick knockdown and a decent lead and spend the entire match running away and trying to keep as much a lead as possible. It's not even turtling. It's just cowardly.

Fortunately, I've gotten used to the tactic enough to find a decent counter for it, and walled stages do prevent this to some degree. However, the tactic itself still annoys me to no end.

11. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    KingZeal:

It's not cowardly, it's smart (until it stops working).

You play Aoi, right?

A lot of long ranged knockdown have telegraphing animations, and if an opponent is being somewhat predictable in throwing out a certain move at a certain distance, risk a few reversals.

Yes it is risky, but something as solid as DS Vanessa's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif has a weakness against Aoi: A MCR reversal can equal a 50+ damage combo and possible ring out.

Besides, nothing more demoralizing than being caught in something that you can't escape from, looks awesome, and takes balls to use.

Of course, this will prompt the opponent to branch out, but hopefully it'll make them pause long enough to allow you to use Aoi's insane pressure game with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif-cancels.

12. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    a strategy that constantly bothers me?
    constant shouts of profanity and racial slurs while playing...
    it doesnt work, never has worked, and never will work
    it just makes me beat you faster...
    i know i know, some are saying *y dont u just mute your mic?*
    sound comes through my TV... so

13. KingZeal

You're right. As I said, it's not that I can't usually beat this tactic--I just find it annoying to fight against.

As a side note: How did you know I was an Aoi player? I think I was still editing my sig when you posted...

14. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I didn't want to waste a post (kinda like now, lol) to ask who you played, and because I wanted to give character specific info, so I looked at your previous posts where you mention you play Aoi (among others).

I just cut the middle man out and gave a concise answer quickly.

-seb

15. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

You're able to stop speech coming out from your TV if you really want. But I don't know if you prefer it to come out from your TV for when you play friends or not. Can also always just take the mic off but leave it plugged in haha.

16. KingZeal

Ah. Very observant Sebo.

As thanks, I'll say something hateful for your sig.

*Ahem*

You're a master at creating a worthless waste of a post.

(Heh. How's that?)

17. LemmyIsTheGame

LemmyIsTheGame Well-Known Member

Mute that then. I have never had the chat on. I set it to only come through the headset and never plug it in. I don't want to hear what most of these people will be spouting on about anyway - just want to play the game.

18. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

i swear sometimes this actually makes my day. pissing of people like this is just hilarious.

19. KtotheG

KtotheG Well-Known Member

I played a Kage with the exact same style yesterday. The only solution I had for it was to use OM a lot. How did you adapt to that style of play?

20. KingZeal

Mostly by forcing myself to get in his face and then using straight rushdown. Most players that use this sort of tactic do it because they don't know how to fight at close range.

How you actually get in close is the tough part. It depends on the character you use.