1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What the hell?? Is it really THAT hard?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Vogue, Feb 13, 2002.

1. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

Re: Creed using joystick?!?!

the whole reason i like playing games in the arcade is the sticks. NOTHING, beats a solid stick. i almost dont look forward to buying console games because of this, but i do anyways for my love of gaming.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Lau Abuser: I hold the pad in both hands.. left thumb on the directional cross.
    Right index and middle finger on G and P. Ring finger for K. Thumb and Pinky slide under the controller. It looks like someone typing, and also feels about the same.

Gaishou: I find there are some advantages to stick and some to pad.

-Pad rests comfortably in any position, stick may need your lap or a coffee table or the floor.
    -Stick is faster for movements from back to forward (you can quickly swing the stick with one motion from the left to the right, making stuff like DLC easier).
    -Pad is better for rapid ff bb uu or dd movements (after tapping any direction, a pad returns to neutral a bit faster than a stick, although you can more easily 'force' a stick to neutral). You can also lightly press down on the pad to make it register multiple inputs by vibrating your thumb a little bit. That's the best way I can describe it. It lets me get many inputs in the same direction quickly - so I can f,f,f+P faster on a pad.

-Stick is better for circular motions of course.
    -You should never mess up hitting a pad's diagonals. Sticks can suck like this.
    -You rarely will have problems with a pad's resistance levels, while sticks need to be fine-tuned.

3. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

You should never mess up hitting a pad's diagonals. Sticks can suck like this.
    -You rarely will have problems with a pad's resistance levels, while sticks need to be fine-tuned.

oh yes i can believe sticks angles to the machine can make a big difference. totally forgot about that one. at rockys in fl we have machines that have the sticks about the right distance apart from each other, but the cutout part of the machine that they're on is rounded. if you sit, you sometimes have a weird angle and stuff doesnt necessarilly come out right. i've seen many unnecessary hopping punches and kicks due to this.....lol. only gripe with me about pads is i wish the bottons were further apart. i cannot say i've ever played on a very good console stick....yet.

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I changed the subject line. I was taking a crack at Creed for using the joypad. I prefer joystick.

5. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

The correct notation for DLC?

Interesting... so the actual notation for the DLC is:

D/F+K+G, N, f+P, N, b,f,f+P+K

Hmmm, I didn't know you had to return to neutral for the last input... I DID know that you can not roll from D/F to F for the elbow... so both attacks need neutral first?

I guess the true notation would be:
    d/f+K+G~N~f+P, N~b~f~f+P+K?

I've kinda noticed that rushing input for the elbow almost makes the shoulder come out easier... like the sooner you do the elbow, the more time you have to input the shoulder. And I think that allowed me to do f+P, N~b~f~f+P+K instead of f+P~b,f,f+P+K as is listed for the move.

Any thoughts, or am I talking out of my ass? :p

6. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Re: The correct notation for DLC?

Hold the stick gently...most ppls 'engulf' the ball stick. Some hold them tight... I personally control the stick wif> thumb for back directions and index finger for forward directions. tis way the stick will return to 'neutral' after each move.

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Re: The correct notation for DLC?

Hey Oni-Kage, when you reply make sure to click "reply" next to the user your addressing. This causes less mix ups when people are reading your post.

8. cartman325

cartman325 Member

realize a game doesn't take in fast moves. MAke sure you are doing at a normal speed but not to slow and not to fast. If it doesn't work just keep trying andi if you give up then you do.

9. Bedwettah

Bedwettah Active Member

To all you pad haters, I can do any sequence on the pad everytime, even dlc, it didn't even take me a long time to get used to it either. In my opinion the WORST move to do on the ps2 pad is akira's knee because my 'scraping' method of doing the knee means my fingers usually get 'blocked' by the right analog stick, or atleast brushed by.

10. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

There is a comfortable method for using the joypad to do all movements, even Akira's knee. Make the triangle button into punch, the R1 trigger guard, and the R2 trigger kick. Hold the pad with your thumb hovering near/over the triangle button, and your index and middle fingers rest just over the triggers. EVERY move can be input this way. The DLC is still quite hard to do, but can be done easier (IMHO) than with a joystick. It takes minimal movement to go from df+K+G to f+P for instance.

To do Akira's knee, you strike the two triggers lightly (using a slight clockwise twist of your wrist) with the lower half or so of two fingers (one on each), making contact with most of the surface area of the triggers, and quickly withdraw your index finger's contact from G (that's why the G trigger is the top one). Using this method, I was able to teach someone today well enough so that with just a few minutes practice, she was able to do the knee at about a 60% rate. She was astonished, having been frustrated for several days. The large surface area of the triggers makes it easier for a light quick strike to register.

It's only necessary to use these three buttons, but it may take retraining your fingers to use the PGK sequence. Now if you want to "cheat" a bit, you can make the square button into P+K+G, and the X button into P+G. This enables you to do the SPoD relatively easily with your right thumb! You can also make the circle button into either K+G or P+K. Not needed, but an extra help for the DLC. But don't use the L1 and L2 triggers. This enables you to wrap your left fingers comfortably on the left side of the pad without fear of accidentally inputting an unwanted command.

If you haven't used the vibrator effect of the pad in a VF4 fight, you are missing an extra level of tactile interaction that really makes you feel more like you are in a battle, especially with a mad rushing Lau attacking you.

11. Kyo

Kyo Member

For me, the key to doing the DLC is first, learning to do the bodycheck instantly....that is, you can do the b,f,f+P+K motion as fast as if you were to do a f,f or b,f motion....

although you do NOT need a super fast b,f,f+P+K motion to do the DLC...it does give you a break after the "df+K+G~f+P" sequence....that is, you can actually pause a little bit to give you, your brain or your fingers to recover while having enough time to perform the last "b,f,f+P+K" motion....because the hardest part, I think, with any Akira Special is your fingers/brain becoming confused and complicated by the three commands...having splited the command into two sequences (well..not really spliting it in reality...just tricking your brain into spliting it...) really makes it easier IMO...

as for Joystick vs Joypad...Joystick all the way...the pad is fine for most games...but for VF4...and especially with Akira...the pad is a pain to use...I just have a tough time tapping direction with the pad...in SF3...I could never tap fast and accurate enough to parry the supers using a pad...but with a stick...there is no such problem...:D

12. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

Wow, this move seems pretty hard to pull off, is it actually worth all that trouble?

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

*sigh* DLC is not hard at all, it just requires the correct motion at the correct pace... if you find it difficult anyhow..either.

1> buy a joystick (but goes without saying) you will instantly see a difference.
    2> stick to the AS3, it's easier and has less motion, also less buttons to worry about.

d+k+g ~ f+k ~ b,df+p

14. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

d+k+g ~ f+k ~ b,df+p

Try d+K+G, f+K, b,f+P , it might make things even easier...

15. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

my bad ^_^....

16. JoJoBiZARrE

JoJoBiZARrE Member

very hard...

17. clash103

clash103 Member

I AGREE! This move has me stumped. I just can't do it.

18. pearl

pearl Member

I can now pull off the SPoD pretty easily, but I still can't do the DLC, I can kind of do it, but the back comes out like a half second after the elbow, so it's not the real one. Also I find it odd that anyone could think the SPoD is harder than the DLC. I did the SPoD after only like 5 tries, but after like a million tries with the DLC I have yet to do it.

19. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I play with a pad & I do better with it than a joystick since I'd got my butt kick just recently in the Chinatown Arcade. I probably going to end up getting the VF4 joystick if I want to have any chance of win in a Arcade.

20. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I'd got that move out a couple of times without button configuration & using the pad is hard but you can do it. Simply put, if you pissed off or focused enough it does come out. Guys, I was so physical with this game that I broke PS2 DualShock2 Pad. Man I love this game, frustrating yet statisfying at times.

Smurfy