What would you rather see in VF.DYNDNS.ORG?

Discussion in 'General' started by CreeD, Jan 31, 2002.

  1. CreeD

    CreeD Well-Known Member

    This is more of a "buddy bet" question than anything I'm genuinely curious about. VF.dyndns.org is likely to stay exactly like it is. Would you rather see:

    A. I put a cap on maximum users or max connections per user? The idea is that everyone will then get faster transfer speeds, but obviously with a limited number of slots some of you will want a movie and will be disappointed. But you have to say "is the disappointment at being turned away as bad as seeing my download go at 2 kbps?"


    B. I leave it alone, unlimited available connections, nobody gets turned away, but downloads are usually slow unless you happen to come on when the server is empty.

    My arguments against A:
    1. Even with just 10 slots, I have a max upload speed of 40 kbps total. So do the math. 40 kbps / 10 slots = 4 kbps per person in a perfect world. Cut it to five slots, and it improves to 8 kbps. Whoopee.

    2. It's rarely a perfect world. Even if only two people are on, and they both have cable modems, it's not like each one gets exactly 20 kbps. More like 30 for one and 10 for the other. I have no idea why this is, I just know that I can't seem to force an equal distribution of bandwidth. So it's a gamble.

    3. Being turned away sucks /versus/images/icons/frown.gif ... I hate when I get a 'too many users' message.
    I always choose a reliable 5 kbps over a 'maybe' faster speed waiting in line. I can say this honestly because I go to fileplanet a lot.

    4. I don't like ppl using DL accelerators, but it often turns out that if they use an accel they might get 4 streams at 3 kbps and without the accel, one stream at 12. I think this is because my PC isn't powerful enough or my modem isn't spanky enough to shoot out multiple streams efficiently (while a nice PC connected to a T1 genuinely improves download speeds) . So anyway, if people use accelerators, or just start several downloads at the same time, they aren't really getting any more of my bandwidth than the would with just one download. In fact they may be getting a bit less.

    5. Nothing wrong with 'only' 5kbps is you're a modem user.
    6. There's already a capped site out there! Feixaq's! If you're willing to wait in line for faster speeds, you can just go there and wait.
    the arguments FOR A:

    1. Improved speeds. Who the fuck wants 30 meg clips at 2 kbps? It's maddening.
    2. One person, theoretically, isn't able to screw everyone else by hogging up my bandwidth. One dude getting 75% and the rest getting only 25% is hardly fair. Download speed caps might make things more democratic.
    3. One my buddy didn't guess: with fewer people connected, fewer of my sockets are tied up, and that puts an end to "out of buffer space" errors.. I can browse and go on IRC and all that stuff even when the ftp is maxed out. Often I shut down the server specifically because I'm sick of not being to browse, so this might mean more server uptime. That just helps me though, I wouldn't really consider it a serious advantage to anyone else.
    4. My buddy vouches for waiting in line at fileplanet - it goes by fast, and when the DL starts finally, it's really speedy. Of course, that's fileplanet. T3.

    I want a ton of responses folks /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
  2. Yamcha

    Yamcha Well-Known Member

    Personally I'd vote for B, since I'm on the other side, hehehe. Probably the biggest factor is I don't like being turned away or having to come back at a certain time, and as you say, Feixaq's site already does that.
  3. feixaq

    feixaq Well-Known Member

    Cosplay porn? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
  4. CreeD

    CreeD Well-Known Member

    www.shuttle-jap. . . . oh wait, nm. I forgot that's bad to post!

    "Syun comes here for having a photo session on the introduction of Mr. Tanaka. But she surprises to hear that this is actually a taking a movie, and finally realizes that cheated by him. Although she denies it, is forcibly inserted a big cock !!"

    lol! Classic!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice