1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Whats or Why does the joystick appear on screen?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Ruffcoconut, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Ruffcoconut

Ruffcoconut Active Member

I've noticed that this joystick appears and start moving on screen during a fight. what is its purpose?

2. Kid_Karumba

Kid_Karumba Member

In VF its possible to 'stagger' ur opponent, when they are staggered they cannot block, however wiggling the stick gets u out of a stagger quicker- thats why the joystick appears on screen to make you aware of this.

3. Ruffcoconut

Ruffcoconut Active Member

i hope in the PS2 version this can be taken off. i find it kinda distracting.

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

I love the joystick... it's often hard to tell when I should start and stop struggling (esp. with small staggers like elbows), so when the joystick disappears, it's time to hit G and hope you blocked the followup ;-)

5. Tot

Tot Active Member

When the joystick is green, it is a notice to get ready to move
    the joystick for the recovery. When it becomes red, it is accepting the joystick input.

6. Kid_Karumba

Kid_Karumba Member

Untill I saw the joystick appear on screen I had no idea it was possible to escape staggers - I've been playing since VF2, hehe!

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Here's a rule of thumb: Whenever you see yourself screwed over and locked up in some position where your character seems to be mentally messed, try struggling/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

KD being an exception. And some situations are just going to be given to your opponent... but it's generally worth a try to struggle out of any position that gets you stuck.

Some Examples of when to struggle:
    -Stagger
    -On the ground
    -After a stumble trip
    -After Pull In Throw
    -Even after being mC'd or MC'd (though I'm not sure how effective this is).

8. Kid_Karumba

Kid_Karumba Member

Hey Chanchai u seem to be a bit of a 'guru' so I'd thought I'd ask whats the best thing to do immediately after tech-rolling because I'm often thrown by my opponent? I know about throw escapes but I'm not good enough to do them consistently - is there anything else I can do?

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I know I act like a guru these days, but honestly.... I'm not a guru. Just working on writing out my theories on things and figure the forum seems like a nice place (hence I tend to--but not always--put in sublte disclaimers of possible inaccuracies).

My perspective on the question you posed though?
    Vague answer... you always have options that lead to more options etc... Everything flows into each other. In the case of tech-rolling... I don't have the experience to tell you much on the VF4 features, but there have been good discussions on the effects of tech-rolling here.

If I recall, you are vulnerable to a low(?) throw when you tech-roll. However, if you buffer an attack, it will prevent the throw. But your opponent has their options to respond to that.

Are you being predictable with your tech-rolls? Doing them too much? Well... You can simply choose not to tech roll and see how your opponent handles that. You can also practice throw escaping if you expect to get thrown out of a tech-roll. The key: Options, Options, Options. This is early into VF4 and tech-rolls are a new feature in the series... This is the perfect opportunity and time to experiment and further understand the engine.

At this point though, I can't give you solid advice.... But I recommend you run a search on any combination of the following terms: tech, rise, quick, roll. As is consistant with just about everything in VF, always weigh your options carefully. I'm sure you already know that, but I figure it couldn't hurt to remind you/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai