1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the best fighting game on any format?

Discussion in 'General' started by RandomHajile, Jan 28, 2002.

1. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

is vf4 the best? i only been playing it from dec, an id say so far its not better then vf3tb!!! but this is just probably my inexperience an the fact that jacky is even more easyer to play with then in vf2!!!

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Tekken 3 TB is the best cause you get two games for the price of one.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Tekken 3 TB

Say what? Ken, have you gone mad son? Too much Lei Fei and formatting vfdc posts in colour are starting to have an effect on you /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Um, anyway, an open ended "what is the best" type question is an exercise in futility. And this is a topic for General discussion.

*relocating to General in 5, 4, 3, ...*

4. LiQuid_Fists

LiQuid_Fists Active Member

i think its unfair to compare 3d games with 2d..
    with 3d u get nice gfx but some 2d games have more depth..
    i myself play SF alot so id have to say SF3:3S is the best game i played so far.. better than T4 and VF4 IMO.. although those games are up there...

5. ShinJin

ShinJin Well-Known Member

heh, i think batle mode on SMB3 on the snes was pretty good, dunno if it counts as a fighting game tho.

super street fighter 2 turbo is quite good too
    so is TTT

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

[lots of sarcasm] What other game on any other platform offers you an extra sub-game within the main game that allows you to pit all your favourite characters in a gruelling match of bowling or volleyball. You get an extra two minutes of pleasure out of a game that you spent you hard earned cash on! [/lots of sarcasm]

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAH!

8. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

VF4 arcade, no doubt there..

9. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

"[lots of sarcasm] What other game on any other platform offers you an extra sub-game within the main game that allows you to pit all your favourite characters in a gruelling match of bowling or volleyball. You get an extra two minutes of pleasure out of a game that you spent you hard earned cash on! [/lots of sarcasm] "

^ Scrub

10. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

3d- right now vf4
    2d- sf3- 3rd strike or cvs1

11. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

2D Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (aka Super Street Fighter 2X)

To me the later SF series never live up to that. SF alpha's game play is not as deep IMO, plus I hate it's graphic style. SF3 has some nice feature but the character design ........... sucks! Too many ugly jerk/monster-looking fighters.

3D: VF3(tb) probably has the deepest fighting engine BEFORE VF4 is out. But so far it's hard to say whether VF4 is deeper than VF3 (my feeling is it's about at the same level).

To me a game with more special moves does not necessary make it a deep game. The key is when players play a fighting game, how much thinking they have to do (both while playing and not playing the game) and how much it rewards good thinking. A good fighting game should reward thinkers and punish button smashers, and usually defense is slightly more important than offense.

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

TMNT Turtles Tournament Fighter for the SNES will always have a place in my heart.

13. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Hi all...
    VF is not my love (Soul Calibur is) but I took a look at this board, and found a lot of people who think the same way as me (when I looked at "why isn't VF big in america?" topic) with regards to fighters. (I'm making a webpage about depth of gameplay, but it's not against DOA like that topic seemed to be, but against 2D fighters..)

14. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Actually Soul Calibur and VF are very similar games.

Though VF4 probably has more depth and balance. Soul Calibur has a similar high/mid/low/float type game and a cancel/parry system. Also the 3D walking aspect as well.

Though you have to admit that certain characters were way overpowered. Siegried with the Zweihander and Arthur with the Katana were are bit on the godly side. Though its still a good game.. I used XiangHua and it pissed me off when they start using attacks that were non linear and attacked mid/low for almost the entire screen with almost no gaps with high damage and RingOut potential. Also the variations between the mid and low animation was hard to differentiate.

But you get them in all games you played... its a lot different when everyone plays at the high levels. I remember playing a guy who threw me eight times and complained when I threw him twice. All he did before was to wait for guard cancel on the rise and throw me.. in anticiption of this I didn't attack and just walked over for the throw twice... he then starts bitchin?!?!

Still Soul Calibur is a nice game but more people play VF4 and its a much more expressive game.

15. gaishou

soul calibur is one of the best weapons based fighting games there is. what am i talking about, its practically the only weapons based fighting game. i am looking forward to SC2. hopefully it'll look as good as the home version of SC on the DC. the arcade version isnt that great looking.

16. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Indeed the Soul Calibur is a great game. SC2 uses the 246 board which is really just a PS2 in the arcade. So like Tekken4 what you'll see at your local is what you'll get at home though, with some home options.

17. gaishou

cool, i didn't know this.....

18. Murasame

gaishou: yeah, arcade SC is poor to look at after playing the DC version.

The page will also be for bitching at the underappreciation of SC. As much ignorance as VF suffers I have to say SC gets it worse.
    Look at almost everything Ken just said. "with his zweihander"... "with his katana"... Good God. If you *have* actually played SC... can you try and give a practical, play-related explanation why Zig or Mitsu are even remotely unbalanced?
    (if you find the "ranking project" section at guardimpact.com (created by WCMaxi the world's most respected player I think), you'll see how closely matched everyone is, but at-gunpoint the top 3 would be Taki, Maxi and Astaroth.)

19. ken

ken Well-Known Member

I guess I was being a bit ignorant and perhaps frustrated... or maybe my Xianghua just sucks...

No one plays it down here competitively... just that most of the regulars that do play complain too much or don't challenge...

I think I'm a bit put off by one particular good player who was complained majorly. He had a big winning streak cause he was abusing a relatively simple tactitc with arthur.. when I challenged him and found him predictable he chose Astoroth and deliberately chose the smallest possible ring. I guess this is a valid tactic but I think his actions and many others similar in general made me draw conclusions about the SC community in general. Which is wrong.. so apologies in that regard.. SC is still very fun to play and to challenge just not here in Sydney as the scene here rather sterile.

Siegfried has the double low swipe and sideward slash. Add that to a guard cancel game. Basically is a balanced long distance game with secondary options is basically a good opponent vs my XiangHua with short sword and fast close range and guard cancel game. All this boils down to my poor long range parry/defense game/ignorance and poor judgement/understanding of opponents moves/options...

Kinda reminds me of VF /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

20. Murasame

"I think I'm a bit put off by one particular good player who was complained majorly. He had a big winning streak cause he was abusing a relatively simple tactitc with arthur.. when I challenged him and found him predictable he chose Astoroth and deliberately chose the smallest possible ring.
    I guess this is a valid tactic but I think his actions and many others similar in general made me draw conclusions about the SC community in general."

I feel you on that....bad (both meanings) competition sours me on games as well.
    But He is 1 in a million; if you come to the forums at GuardImpact.com there is the friendliest community of players of any game.
    (Although I can't recall much difference in size between the smallest stage(Yoshi's?) and the largest...)

"Siegfried has the double low swipe" If you mean his rising A,A the first is mid.

"Basically is a balanced long distance game with secondary options is basically a good opponent vs my XiangHua with short sword and fast close range and guard cancel game."

But getting close is what Xianghua does best. She has a whole arsenal of evasive attacks. (not to mention being one of the fastest 8WRers.)

For example, nearly all of Seigfried's best horizontals are High, Xiang can pass under them with A+K, B+K.
    Or if the Siegfried is playing a delay game with B-forward, Xiang can flat-out ignore it with f,f+A+B (there's a small sidestep).