1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the best fighting game on any format?

Discussion in 'General' started by RandomHajile, Jan 28, 2002.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I give the SC posters at GI a BIG THUMBS UP!

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah I remember that shit, my fave was Shredder./versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Yeah! But I would always use Donatello or Armageddon the Shark. Shredder was OK. The Rat King took the cake though with his super energy bar sucking Rat Bomber

All in all it's presentation was great, it had super big super moves and it was as fast as eight stars on SFTurbo. I loved that game. I can't find it for the life of me though.

4. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Hahaha, yeah, that game really rocked. All of the Turtles games were kinda good come to think of it...

Me and my friends cheered when we had seen the second movie and discovered that SUPER Shredder was in the game.
    Oh the days, the days.

Best fighting game on any system? Tough one, but Virtua Fighter 2 was bloody awesome when it came out on Saturn and I play it still. There was just a certain feel to it.. Class I guess.. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

All in all, Saturn was home to alot of great fighting experiences, I'll be hard pushed to love another system more.
    But that's off topic. My answer to the question is VF2 on Saturn.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

All good, you can still find Shredder in a modern fighting game! I think he goes by the name "Kage" in a game called "Virtua Fighter 4?"

/versus/images/icons/tongue.gifChanchai

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

It's not the same. Kage can't channel lightning through his body. And besides, Shredder was nothing without the Turtles.

Transformers, Turtles, Thundercats. All the greats, just dust in the wind....

7. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

and of course transformers, man I havent seen that for like 10 years by now, something new and better looking is gonna come out later for sure.

8. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Thanks summers...

You can get Turtles from any SNES ROM site eg www.emurater.com

Shredder was good but his rage attack was possibly the worst. On the other hand Leonardo's was awesomely powerful from the right distance (so they catch every fist). I remember not being able to tell if the boss was a woman or a man...

9. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Soul Calibur is unappreciated? That's confusing. I thought everyone and their uncle (at least the prozines) called it the best thing since sliced bread? How can anyone knock a fighting game that features Tushiro Mifune from "Seven Samauri"? Great, great game. Nowhere near the depth of VF3 or 4, but what's here is wonderful.

I wonder why Namco or Sega never brought the DC version of Calibur to the arcades? It would have been very successful, and Sega has actually done this before (with Technosoft's Thunder Force AC). Oh, well, the upcoming sequel will be very popular in and out of the arcades.

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

And I give Namco a big kick in their nuts for what looks like a graphically inadiquete game with minimal advancement...I do hope SC turns out great.

11. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

How can anyone knock a fighting game that features Tushiro Mifune from "Seven Samauri"?

good eye. i see a resemblence......good movie too.

12. Murasame

This patronizing crap annoys me.
    Daniel just drop the backhanded flattery and say SC is simple.
    On the other hand I think VF4 might equal SC's depth (but I'm not convinced until I have it).
    Regardless of who's right, THAT is where I'm coming from with the "underappreciated blahblah". I don't mean general lack of love, cause I know SC got a lot of that, even from the most casual of players

13. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Huh? There's no patronizing going on here. I already used up all my backhanded flattery on the State of the Union speech and my roommate's copy of "Jurassic Park 3." For the hundreth time, I love Soul Calibur. It's an excellent game, and offers considerable depth in strategy and techniques. I always prefer fighting contests that reward strategy over button mashing (like, oh, Killer Instinct), and SC definitely fits the bill. Still, in terms of depth, VF is considerably more complex. Some examples:

1) Take throw escapes. In SC, all throws are escaped by a simple button press, and, when successful, both fighters back away. With VF3/4, there are many different commands for throw escapes that must match the correct throw. Escaping different throws also change positioning in different ways. One fighter may have an advantage against another. And then there are multiple-throw-escapes and other variations if you're so inclined.

2) The throws themselves. With a couple exceptions (the big axe guys), the characters in SC only have two front throws, two side throws (one for each side), and one back throw. VF, on the other hand, has LOADS of throws, not just the big guys. This, of course, leads into the great guessing game. Will your opponent throw you? Which throw (or throws) will you try to escape? What if your friend knows what you know and prefers to attack instead? Where will the fighters be positioned on the board, and who wins the advantage?

3) The ground game. Do you know it matters which way a downed body is facing in VF? Is the body faced up or down? Where are the feet -- towards the attacker, away from him/her, or at some wierd angle? Which attacks or throws produce the best situations? Which direction will your opponent's kick go -- clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you want to dodge around and/or attack, you'll need to know this. And, BTW, the rising kicks aren't the same for all the fighters; Akira's kick may go clockwise when for someone else it would go counter-clockwise. And, of course, if you never learn these techniques, there's always a wide array of pounces (and elbow drops and soccer kicks, etc) to punish your friends.

4) Reversals in VF3/4 are also more complicated than SC. SC has of course parries for all the fighters; these either push an attacker back or to the side. All the VF3/4 characters have some defensive ability, but again it's different for each of them. You'll find Surprise Exchanges, Stumble Throws, Inashis, or attack reversals. There are reversals for different attack levels, too, and they work like throw escapes, which adds another guessing game to the mix. And this is just VF3.

5) Finally, there's foot stance. This is something I really wish was used in SC but wasn't. Foot stance in that game simply doesn't exist. With VF, it matters not only which foot your fighter has facing forward, it which way both fighters' feet relate. You have to deal with which way certain moves will move your opponent, or which way you will move (I'm thinking of Wolf's elbow drops here). Closed or open stances are also important for a number of factors, from float combos to attack levels (some moves hit "high" in one stance and "mid" in another).

Whew. I'm sure there are more examples, but these are the ones that always stick out in my mind. All this is in VF3, and VF4 both adds and subtracts from the mix. This is what I think "depth" in fighting games are about. Hope that helps.

14. Murasame

Daniel sorry for that. (but a lot of people do patronizing crap)
    We have similar views on depth (do you think much of 2D fighters? eg CvS2)
    To me depth is anything that requires more and faster thinking but *not* reflexes.

From your whole argument, I only concede that SC doesn't have the multiple throw-escapes into different return positions.
    (Although, I don't like throw escapes full stop. I wish SC didn't have them. The perfect fighter to me wouldn't have throw escapes or even counter damage. If you hit a move you shouldn't get any less or more reward than you bargained for, regardless of the opponent's behaviour at the time they get hit. The opponent's ability should purely decide whether they *are* hit, and nothing more. I digress)

""The throws themselves. With a couple exceptions (the big axe guys), the characters in SC only have two front throws, two side throws (one for each side), and one back throw.""
    Apart from Sophitia.. Kilik.. Ivy.. Voldo.. Taki.. Lizardman, and Mina. They all have special throws (heck Ivy is made by her command throw) that are harder to break (summon suffering has to be broken in 5 frames).

"The ground game. Do you know it matters which way a downed body is facing in VF?"
    I do.

""Which direction will your opponent's kick go -- clockwise or counter-clockwise? If you want to dodge around and/or attack, you'll need to know this.""
    I hope you're not excluding SC from all of this...

Anyway dead position matters in SC as well.
    (example <a target="_blank" href=http://www.guardimpact.com/skill/ivy.html>www.guardimpact.com/skill/ivy.html</a> In some of the tricks, Ivy is moving to an angle for the opponent to get up facing the wrong way)

""There are reversals for different attack levels, too, and they work like throw escapes, which adds another guessing game to the mix.""
    What did you think the 2 repels and 2 parries in SC were for? One is for high/mid and one for mid/low.

""Finally, there's foot stance. This is something I really wish was used in SC but wasn't. Foot stance in that game simply doesn't exist. With VF, it matters not only which foot your fighter has facing forward, it which way both fighters' feet relate.""
    Calibur has 'weapon stripping'. If your attack doesn't reach the opponent, but brushes their weapon, they get knocked aside; this is a lot like being repelled/parried except the opportunity is guaranteed (they can't re-parry). So not a limb awareness needed but a protruding blade game; at certain distances you can be a threat even when out of striking distance.

"You have to deal with which way certain moves will move your opponent,"
    And as *you* mentioned before ring awareness plays a part in your choice of deflection in SC. (Parrying some of the heavier attacks results in almost entirely switching sides)

Plus Calibur has it's own features...
    (1) SCUBs. Cancel a soul charge and you'll glow gold instead of green; certain moves for each character become unblockable(for your next shot only). As with normal soul charges, most of the time not practical in pro play, but after knockdowns SCUBs make for evil wakeup games. And some of the faster SCUBS make great post-GI attacks (charge while they're stunned then scub, instead of just attacking with a chance of being re-GIed)
    (2) Calibur makes much more use of faked, delayed, and switched moves.
    (example of each - Kilik B+K,G SiegMare db+[A] Cervantes db+A,(A),(A+B/[A+B]) )

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Name ONE time, during heated gameplay, stripping occured? Excellent (and realistic) option, but never fully realized in the SC game engine.