1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with the JP Plastation Store??

Discussion in 'General' started by Ladon, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Ok, bit of a rant, bear with me people.

I created a Japanese PSN just for a little game called まいにちいっしょ (Everyday Together), which is free to download and comes with cute kitties Toro and Kuro, along with their little buddies that help in telling all sorts of news happenings in Japan, with Sony and the Playstation, and current events (in Japan). You can also customize your house, customize your backyard, customize your own little cat, and create little chat rooms and play on or offline games. For a free game, not too shabby... if you know Japanese.

This game does not exist on any other Playstation Store. So, after I played it for a bit, decided to see what else could possibly be JP PS store exclusive. And I found a TON of cool shit, including a free online RPG, several small scale games that are rather inexpensive and look pretty damn fun, and also exclusive trailers and DLC for video games... including lots of bad-ass DLC for Disgaea 3. Conversely, however, the Japanese do not have Mega Man 9 available... at all! NOR do they have any movies for download or rent. None. At. All.

WTF Sony? I need to know, if anyone has the answer: why are these things not available everywhere? I love Disgaea, and it hurts me to know that we're getting shafted. How much other badass stuff have we missed? Have they missed? Is there in Europe and Australia?

I chose PS3 over Xbox because I love the quirky Japanese stuff, and Xbox doesn't really publish that shit. And at first I thought Sony was just waiting till the PS3 built up some steam, but now it seems like the shit's out there, but WE'RE not getting it because "WE'RE" a bunch of Microsoft supporters that only care about the next big video game thrill. I know I'm not the only fan of Japanese stuff, and I know it's not too hard to translate some JP stuff and make it relevant, especially since online is an easy medium to send it out (you don't have to try so hard to market it, and you don't have to pay for production and transportation). Any opinions people?

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Licensing.

3. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Licensing is the reason why American players can't download the characters from Disgaea 2 into their team on Disgaea 3?

4. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Disgaea 3 DLC will come out in the u.s., I wouldn't worry about that.

I've got a couple of jp-only or previously jp-only PSN games (eg gunners heaven, r-types, r-type delta). The popular stuff will come out for the us, it's just going to take a while.

At least the ps3 is basically region free, so you can make different region accounts, buy a prepaid PSN card, and get whatever stuff is available in other regions. Wii requires homebrew channel hacking; 360 is basically impossible to play imports (even though xbla is worldwide).

5. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    True, true. And as the saying goes, don't kick a gift horse in the mouth, am i right?

Good perspective, it's appreciated. And oh, they also have Metal Gear: Solid available for PS3 and PSP to download. Lookin forward to that.

6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Same marketplace shite happens on the 360.