1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with the Pelican Stick?

Discussion in 'Console' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I was planning on buying it, can you tell me what's wrong with it?

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

1. The stick is confined to a very small area, and is thus difficult to move. It will actually take some arm muscle to execute 270 throws.
    2. The notches in the base are not at the diagonals, but at the cardinal directions, making those crucial diagonal directions very hard to "find".
    3. The buttons are set up Capcom-style, in rows of four, so you're forced to use the American button setup for VF.
    4. The stick is made of cheap plastic. Need I say more? /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, Thanks Again.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

My main concern is the stick though.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I had a Virtua Fighter 4 stick but that b!tch broke last week so now I'm looking for another one.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Been awhile since I used the Pelican stick (but I did write something about it in another thread... sorry I can't reference it right now). But from memory, the sticks was horrible, it just wasn't even trying to immitate standard arcade sticks (US or Japan). It was something else... Almost like it was trying to immitate the old Amiga thumb sticks, but put a bigger stick on or something.

In addition, the placement of the Start button sucks, so if you rest your palm on the unit similar to how I do, you're bound to bruch up against start and pause the game every now and then too.

Also, the buttons were horrid. A lot of times, they would take their time going back up.

-Chanchai

7. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

I paid $30 for two of these sticks. The configuration C in Options menu of VF4 for PS2 works fine w/ minor edit. The stick is stiff and 270 throws and half circle moves are difficult. I'm glad to have them though because I can't find a VF4 Hori stick in NYC.
    Guard is L2, Punch is square and kick is triangle. (*V*) (note)Not in the same class as the old DC Sega sticks. Dependable email customer service. ( Ihad a problem w/ program button.)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a hard time pressing the buttons fast though

9. Djimbe

Djimbe Member

While playing I find that I cannot pull moves in the rapid succession that are nececarry to fight effectively , even if I could pass the training mode version repeatedly .

I tried all of the smaller "arcade sticks" (and I use this term VEEEERY looseley) , as between me and my freinds we have purchased them all , as we are all adults with jobs , so have tended to pack-rat them instead of having to return them to get new gear . and on other games I could get by with the lesser "pro" level sticks like the Hori Tekken one and whatnot (which have the EXACT same price as the base model MAS Prostick by the by), but as the timing , speed , and subtletey of this game is MUCH more evident , I was stuck at around 5th dan no matter what I did , and I found that even though I KNEW what to do next , making my hands do it perfectly each time was next to impossible , as my thumbs are nearly always touching more than one part of the controls at a time , on both sides .

A freind had A MAS Systems Prostick , and I tried it , and I absoloutley loved it . It also brought into question all the ppl who call things like the shadowblade and the ascii ARCADE joysticks . They are JOYSTICKS , but ARCADE they are NOT . The Prostick weighs FOUR KILOS (10 lbs , I think) and therefore DOES NOT MOVE !!!! and is EXACTLY the joystick you get in the arcade , with EXACTLY the buttons you get in the arcade . Also , due to its weight , it is not hard on your wrist due to having to hold the base still while fighting . Hell , I think you'ld have to bloody KICK the thing to move it . So I bought one . It cost me $150 U.S. , with my personal customizations . And if you consider that the base price is $95 U.S. {which is less than 3 memory cards or dualshock 2's) , not to mention that we are waiting patiently for Tekken 4 and Soul calibur 2 to come out on the PS2 , I think its WELL worth it . Although I have not yet asked , I am pretty sure that you could ship your stick back to MAS Systems and have them add a system to it at a later date , for the aditional $35 that it would have been initially , as they seem pretty cool and VERY flexible .

There are , however , some other companies out there that make TRUE "arcade" joysticks , but MAS was the only one I could find that made a SINGLE controller here are some references :

http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html

http://www.x-arcade.com/

http://www.hanaho.com/products/HotRodJoystick/

Theese are the ones I think are the best out there that I have personally tried out . All of them are pricey . All of them are worth it .

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Your talking about the blue and black one right?

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I recently found out that I was unaware of Pelican's Blue and Black stick. Which I've seen, but haven't used. I can't judge that one, because I haven't used it.

I've only heard that "it's better than nothing." I might give it a try this week and state what I think about it.

The stick I had originally talked about, I thought was under the Pelican brand. However, it was a remake of the Dreamcast "Top Max" stick I think (maybe that stick was called "The Enforcer?" can't remember).

So for those curous about the blue and black Pelican stick (that looks like two big chunks put together), sorry if my review was very misleading. As skeptical as I am about it, I can't judge it yet, but when I test it out, I'll let you all know what I think of it.

-Chanchai

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you played the ASCII ft2 stick? If you did can you tell me how heavy it is?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I got the ASCII stick today and It is 10x better than this crappy pelican stick. I didn't know it was gonna be this good.

14. TomServo

TomServo Member

Just to add to this, I also got an MAS SuperPro Stick about 2 weeks after VF4 came out.

My game has improved dramatically, and this is, by a HUGE margin, the best joystick I have ever owned for a home system. The base is as solid as you're going to find, the stick is very sensitive without being too much so, and the buttons behave perfectly.

If you're willing to part with a bit more money than you would for a decent joystick, I can wholeheartedly recommend getting the best you can find.

15. Mojopin

Mojopin Member

The worst thing about the stick IMO is when you try to back your character up and the stick gets stuck in that position. The buttons are ok but the stick is a worthless. I picked up a T4 stick and have never looked back. I suggest you do the same...

16. KoolAsian

KoolAsian Member

Ok this has prob. been answered but let me give my words of wisdom here.

I bout the stick and I HATE THE STICK! Hear are the reasons:

1. Area is small for movment. VERY VERY HARD to execute moves.
    2. No special clicking sound.
    3. Buttons are not smooth to press down
    4. Light weight so it moves around alot.
    5. CHEAP PLASTIC

Here's some benefits...
    1. Matches the PS2 Color Scheme

And I'm stuck with it now.... dunno what to do with it..... it just plain sucks...... waste of 20 bucks....