1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What's your reaction time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zass, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    I'm interested in doing some research into which moves can be reliably hit checked. Please take this reaction time test here, and post your results. Feel free to take it multiple times. I'm interested in average scores, so if you get really lucky and get a great time by luck, or if your fingers slip and you get a really bad time, please retake.

http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html

2. BlueLink

BlueLink Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BLUELINKBR
    Did it multiple times, my average was something between 0,260 and 0,270 (something between 16 and 17 frames if I'm not mistaken).

3. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL

4. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake

5. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    0.241 at best. First try. Keyboard not mouse. Midnight. I'll go for it tomorrow after a good night. ^^

6. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    .266, not bad I think...

7. Wonderful

Wonderful Active Member

How do you convert that number into frames ? Did it three times this is the best one: 0.2044 worst was 0.249 something.

8. Wiztick

Wiztick Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WizTick
    i dont have a reaction time. time reacts to me.
    .2047 btw

9. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Multiply by 60. So for example:

a reaction time of .2 corresponds to 12 frames (60 * 0.2 = 12)
    a reaction time of .3 corresponds to 18 frames (60 * 0.3 = 18)

10. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

My average was 0.3436 why am I not surprised. So thats about 18 frames?

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    First attempt in the morning.. 0.2428

12. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    average .236
    btw nice thread

13. shad

shad Well-Known Member

PSN:
    agent__cube
    XBL:
    doct0r cube

lol...

14. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    0.2878 is the best I could muster.

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    0.015. I win. (you can just spam click the button :ninja:)

Serious version.
    5 tries. 0.219 avg. Used mouse.

16. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Took a few sets of five tests. Here's the average of each set.

Using the mouse with my right-hand (I'm left-handed, and I always use the mouse with my right hand):

Average = 0.2149

Using the enter key with my left hand:

Average = 0.2171

Total average = 0.2160

I would caution that this type of reaction test isn't necessarily indicative of a person's ability to react to things in VF. In VF, you have many more variables than simply watching red turn to green - you have to be monitoring what your opponent is doing, and running math calculations all the time to deduce frame advantages etc, and you're reacting to a plethora of different situations (each different attack your opponent makes, how it connects, each attack you do and how it connects, evades, whiffs, etc), and you also have to consider that the response required is more than just 'clicking' when you see something change - you might be required to make a totally different reaction based on whether the move is guarded, normal hits, counter hits, is evaded etc, which adds more time into the decision process. Then there's the factor of buffer windows. You might get an advantage of 12 frames after guarding move A and move B, but move B might also give 30 frames of block-stun first, meaning you get those extra 30 frames to react and choose your response, whilst move A has 0 (or less than 30) block stun and requires the decision to be made immediately (or faster) than after guarding move B.

I'm not saying the research is useless or anything - I'm just observing that there are a lot of differences between the two situations.

17. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

This test has been posted before (and the arguments against it as well.)

If you would like a dojo drill that I believe can more accurately determine and improve your "in-match" reactions, do this:

Take your character and Jeffrey into the Dojo.
    Record these 3 actions with Jeffrey:
    1) PK, throw, guard
    2) PK, 4KP, guard
    3) PK, 6PP, guard

Part one is to learn to respond with the appropriate defense. Get hit by PK, then crouch dash fuzzy guard. After the fuzzy, watch for either 4K or 6P. If 4K, duck the P follow-up. If 6P, evade-crouch-dash the P follow-up. (I'll explain why ECD later.)

Once you can reliably duck the throw, guard both 4K and 6P, and then duck or evade correctly it is time to move on to punishing all 3 options. Choose 3 separate actions for punishes to make sure you can't "get lucky" and can focus on reacting properly. I like to PK the throw attempt, 2P the 4KP, and get a nice side-turned punish for 6PP. 2P for mid-high strings is particularly advised because many strings with highs have mid or low follow-ups that need to be shut down before they can be threatening. You will likely find that punishing the throw attempt is the most difficult.

The reason for ECD'ing the 6PP is to help train what I call the "Two-Hitter Defense." It is incredibly useful in stopping people from using mid-mid / mid-throw mix-ups. In general, many useful mid-mid string starters are -5/6 on guard. So, if a player attempts to mid-throw, they will be -5/6 and the throw will not be active until frame 15/16. Conveniently, ECD is considered ducking throws on frame 15. If you ECD after guarding the first mid, you will evade if they do the 2nd mid or duck just in time if they try to throw. Knowing this, you can change the first recorded action to: PK, 6P, throw, guard. You should be able to duck 4KP, evade 6PP, and ECD 6P/throw.

You may do this drill with any character who has a mid-high string and a mid-mid string that start in 16f or less. Ex: Kage 46P+KP and 3KPP.

18. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    I'm pretty pathetic

1) 0.287
    2) 0.275
    3) 0.288
    4) 0.348
    5) 0.302

avg 0.3 = 18 frames

No wonder I'm so free to low sweeps...stupid slow response CNS