1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

When did you first learn about vf?

Discussion in 'General' started by Calvin, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I really just learned about it about a year ago when it came out. I liked the game at first and was blown away when I came here and saw that there was so much more to it. What was the first vf game you ever played and when?

2. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

I learned about it since the first VF came out in arcades. After years of playing 2-D fighters like Street Fighter, MK, KoF, Samurai Shodown, etc, I was interested in the new 3-D game. However, I didn't get into it until much later because I didn't buy a Saturn, opting instead to buy a PSX and get into Tekken.

3. Jui

Jui Well-Known Member

Same here, when I first saw VF1 in the arcades I was immediately attracted to it.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

VF1 in a movie theater, this was at a time when 2 was already out. I liked it and the first time I saw that 2 existed, I jumped all over it. My second or third game some fairly good LA players jumped on me (they were hungry for comp I think) and went way out of their way to teach me stuff.
    Props for that, I wish everyone worked that way.

5. Mr. Noisy

Mr. Noisy Well-Known Member

The first one I play is VF2
    When VF1 came out, I thought...damn it's so blocky
    When I first saw VF2 I got attracted by Shun's Suiken show off in the intro
    so..I decided to put my coin in
    I've been a big fan of VF since then

6. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

i first saw VF-1 in the arcades lured me with 3D graphics,
    tried to play the first couple times using kage or akira, bad choice.
    Laughed at the gravity and moved on to other games.

Hopped back onto VF2, enjoyed the game, played lion
    dissapointed with 3/ moved to TTT
    disapointed with Tekken 4

and here i am today at VF4 using leifei and kage.

7. PPPK

PPPK Active Member

Ah - I remember it well.....

First saw it in 'Edge' (UK Games Mag - US Version was called 'Next Generation' I think) - back in 1993.
    I still have it somewhere. It was still called 'Virtua Fighters' (plural) and screenshots showed Lau fighting Siba (Arabian looking fella who never made it into the final game - but was resurrected in FMM). After that, I remember first seeing VF in my local fleapit and wondering "Only 3 buttons? Is that all?" After all, SFhad 6 and MK had 5 - how complicated can it be? How little I knew....:) God I loved that game.....

VF never really took off in the UK IMHO (don't know if the other UK VF'ers here would agree) - but things definitely took off with VF2. Real shame that arcades here never took to VF3 in the same way (Model3 too expensive I guess compared to that cheap and nasty Namco game, 'Tek' something or other....:)

Anyway - I'm rambling.

8. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Tekken's not a bad game.

9. PPPK

PPPK Active Member

Yes - but Tekken ain't VF. Period.

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Yes - but Tekken ain't VF. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

SILENCE!!!!!!! STOP typing about it IMMEDIATELY!

No one read what he wrote, OK?!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

BAD SUBJECT!!!!!!!! NOT GOOD! NO!

Use LIQUID PAPER on your monitor if you have to.

Stop NOW!

This game VS that game THREAD POLLUTION BAD!!!!

ok...

first saw VF1 when I was playing SF2. When SF3 came out, I didn't like it much and switched to VF2. Played lots of VF3. I've played VF4 more times than all the rest combined, I believe.

11. Proof

Proof Well-Known Member

first played vf1 on a rented saturn =]

edit: but didn't play vf again until vf4 about a month and half ago~ havn't touched any evo yet either =[

12. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

I was living in Japan at the time and saw the game in Gamest or Famitsu (maybe both) and one day when I went to the arcade to play whatever Street Fighter game that was out at the time, I saw VF1. However, I didn't play VF much until VF2. I thought the "ninja" was cool and "japanese karate guy" hard to figure out and use. That was until my friend showed me that you could pretty much kill every character with well placed sgpms and body checks. hehe

13. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

I heard* about it years ago in an egm ad for vf2, but I only started playing it after reading a review in egm (yep im an egm fanboy)

14. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Egm vf3 preview for DC. Said it was like the Zen of fghting games treated more like a lifestyle than a game buy its fans. I came to VFDC and started reading reports on gatherings( i still read these alot i find them intriguing) then come to find outsome good players play in my area. So i sought them out and made Omaha Jeffry whupp me in VF3ob. I got okay at that still very scrubby. Then vf4 came out i started playing with Troy and Jason(at this point rodney was so scared of troy he ran to nyc) still playing with the same people with a few new ones.

15. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

You mean Omaha Jeffrey Rodney? That's is pretty scary considering how good Rodney is with most characters. What character does Troy use?

16. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Troy plays Lion. Jason plays Wolf,Aoi and probally Sarah.

17. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hahah he wants rodney to reply of course /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

18. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

I first saw VF1 at the air port, it was the only SEGA machine, twas swarming with people from Japan and Korea all fighting to have a go on the machine. My first comment of the game was " This is slow and shit ". I never played a VF game untill VF2 on PC

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I basically grew up in arcades, so I saw vf 1. THought it looked cool, but I really didn't like it at all actually. Went back to 2d games. It was the drop of vf2 that really sucked me in.

20. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Got any tips for the VF2 Dural on Very Hard?