1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

When did you start playing VF?

Discussion in 'General' started by chucky, Mar 3, 2002.

1. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

When did you start playing VF? for myself, I dident like VF1 at all when it first came out in arcades in 1993, I was more into MK II and Street Fighter 2, it wasent untill VF2 was released in arcades in late 1994 I began playing it seriously and ever since I been hooked to all that is VF./versus/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Jakekun

Jakekun Well-Known Member

I was the only one in my town for months playing VF 1. I rarely got anybody else to play with. I loved VF 1, then 2 came out and I was alone in town again. We never got 3, so it was a huge leap when I finally played 4.

3. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

I hated VF1 when I first saw. I thought it was shit because it didn't have qcf+P. I also thought it was a gimmick fighter until I saw one of pals play it. He showed me it had some substance but I still didn't touch it. A fews months later I'm bored with nothing but a 32X and a copy of VF (my brothers bought it cause they liked it) so decide wtf and give it a shot. I figure it might be good to know because the game was so different. The game grows on me and I become a somewhat competant Jacky player but it still didn't quite click yet. More months pass and I play arcade VF2. Pretty cool but I was lured away air combos and Maximum Spiders. The following December I decide to rent a Saturn and VF2 cause I was bored and finally it clicked. VF2 Saturn made me into a believer.

Speaking of the 32X, anybody know where I can find Sarah's 32X BGM? That's probably my favorite VF BGM ever.

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

It was like that in my arcade as well, very few ppl. played VF1 it wasent untill VF2 ppl. cought intrest.

5. akira2001

akira2001 Well-Known Member

Back in the good ol' days with VF. Started playing that and haven't stopped because I am addicted, or so my fiance says.

6. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

We had a arcade machine of VF1 as well, but it just dident cut for ppl. games like MK II and Street Fighter 2 where insanely popular at the time, and I think ppl. wanted wanted something more raw at the time, it was a whole other story when in 1994 VF2 was released, ppl. really started to look into 3-D games like VF2 and Tekken1, still alot would still play MK and Street Fighter, but for some including me, it was was time to move on to something with much more deepth in it like VF2.

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I hated VF1 when I first saw. I thought it was shit because it didn't have qcf+P

Akira's SgPm could be done with QCF+P in VF1. He didn't have to be crouching first.

Haodouken! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

I liked VF1 for what the computer models were doing in real time. The first time I saw VF1 I was totally freaked because you could control 3D fighters in a 3D environment in real time. It was very innovative at the time.

8. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

When VF1 was around, I was quite young to be hanging around arcades much (i'm 17 now) so I didn't see much of it. Years roll by... VF2 comes out on saturn. I was going to buy a playstation or a saturn, so to decide, I rented them both. I got ridge racer and battle arena toshinden for PS and sega rally and VF2 for saturn. I've always been a huge SF fan, so naturally, toshinden with the streetfighter gameplay really appealed to me (I still love toshinden 1-2). VF2 I thought was alright, and the graphics were nice, but where were the flashy moves? Naturally, I went with the playstation, which was the better decision I guess.

By the time VF3 came out, I had heard many times about how VF is the experts game, which interested me. I got it on dreamcast, and was disgusted by the quality of the menus, options, extras, etc. I'm also a huge soul calibur player (or was.), so the graphics looked pretty poor, and the gameplay was far slower. I stuck with it, learned a little, but I couldn't get any of my friends to pick it up. The unique style and coolness of Akira is probably what kept me playing.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer of sorts, so I was desperate to get good at the "experts game". You can't really get good playing the cpu, and lucky for me, Yu and the crew made VF4 much easier to play and flashier. Anyway, I converted all my fighting game playing friends to VF, and I've been having a blast ever since /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

Hmm...I think I do remember being able to do Akira's Single Palm standing very easily on VF1. Of course back then I was expecting the japanese guy with the headband to launch Wave Motion Fist when you do perform the classic qcf+P. Speaking of that, could Capcom have gotten a copywright for those joystick motions? They could have got a shitload of royalty fees. I'm glad they didn't because because we'd probably all be subjected to control motions like Weaponlord. Bleah!

10. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

I dont remember what year, but it I played it when it came out in the arcades. Then I bought it for mah 32X. Been using Pai since day one.

11. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

since day one practically......

12. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

I could not get into VF 1, partically because I was so used to 2d games. I really liked MK and SF series. But my favorite series was Samauri Showdown. (SS 4 being my favorite, followed by SS 3d) Then when I got the saturn, I got VF2, Fighters megamix and Fighting vipers. that was when I was hooked on 3d fighting games. But I was terrible at Tekken series and many others. so I went back to 2d with the alpha series and KI series. I also grew into liking pocket fighters a lot. Still play that game from time to time. But when vf3 came out, I liked it but I just couldn't get good at it. I didn't feel like I was doing all the moves at the times I wanted. Now that vf4 is out, I am more comfortable with playing the series.

13. Jinisgod

Jinisgod Well-Known Member

I started on Vf1, but i really got into it when 2 came out, havent stoped playing it, and never will

14. Christmas 2003 i got it 4 PS2 VF4 evo Never played other VFs i think i played 3 i didnt check da title [P][P][K]

15. ValeStyle_Gove

ValeStyle_Gove Well-Known Member

I got vf1 free with my pentium 90.

16. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

damn another post dug up from the grave.....anywayz to answer the question - VF2, i nicked it from a friend had to play it on a -

486DX2-66mhz (WTF /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    16mb RAM
    512mb hard drive
    sound blaster

though it required more powerful specs

17. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

I think VF2 Saturn was the defining moment for many people. I'd played some VF1 arcade and lots of Tekken 1 & 2 until Sega ported VF2. Best game that ever came out for the Saturn - how they managed to squeeze such a faithful port from that hardware is still amazing.

18. virtuaPAI

virtuaPAI Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MAXIMUM said:

I think VF2 Saturn was the defining moment for many people. I'd played some VF1 arcade and lots of Tekken 1 & 2 until Sega ported VF2. Best game that ever came out for the Saturn - how they managed to squeeze such a faithful port from that hardware is still amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true. I was going to purchase a Ps1 for tekken at toys r us intill I seen the sega saturn set up they had. I was fascinated with pai from that point. IMO she was much more Hardcore back in Vf2...I loved her gut wrenching screams, now in Vf3/4 she is devoid of any real scream/shouts/yells. But thats ok, she is still the shit.

19. J_Dragon

J_Dragon Member

I guess my first view of Virtua Fighter was when VF1 came out in the arcades. I was Chillin in adventure world(theme park) at the time. The game Simply Amazed me back then but I didn't have enough Money to play lol /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My first real experience with VF was at My cousin's house, we were playing VF2 on the Sega Saturn and by then I was Hooked. My first character was Lion, funny because now I don't even like the sucka....

20. Warbird

Warbird Member

I got into VF on the third game. I remember being in this arcade on the Jersey Shore, & seeing the game. I guess some arcade worker-type guy saw me checking out the game, & thought I was hot. Because he came up to me & offered to give me as many free credits as I wanted on it. Me, not really believing him, said, 100. & that's what he did. I played that game until all those credits were up. & then he gave me more. I was in that arcade for HOURS trying to get good at it. & it was free! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before VF, I played a lot of Soul Blade & Evil Zone. Those were my 2 fave fighters.