1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

When is the best moment to grab with Aoi?

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by FuryofFrog, Aug 26, 2012.

1. FuryofFrog

FuryofFrog Member

PSN:
    FuryofFrog
    I'm teaching myself Virtua little by little and I finally ground out the entire movelist into my brain. I feel like I'm getting better daily but one key thing seems to evade my grasp. Maybe its because I want to kind of grab like Zangief. (Note I come from a 2D background, I know its not a great comparison)

When is the proper time to grab people with Aoi? Do you pressure them a bunch and if they block too much grab them? Do you grab them while they are trying to jab the hell out of you?

Also how often used is the Wakigarami (41236 [P][+][G]62 [P][+][G]28 [P][+][G]) grab string used? In my experience at Summer Jam I've seen most people go for Hangetsuha (64 [P][+][K]) . Is that her best grab or something?

Thank you.

2. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

You can grab when you've conditioned your opponent to blocking, they are trying to evade (throws are considered circular, they can't be sidestepped), when you have a throw as a guaranteed punish to opponents move or just purely as a mix-up from advantage.

Don't try throwin people who are jabbing or doing moves. Throws don't interrupt moves, so you'll just end up taking damage.

If the opponent is bad at escaping against the multipart throws then by all means go for them. Best grab is slightly dependant on situation but the ones that do most damage should be your main aim (the 270 degree ones).

I'm not Aoi player myself, so I'm not sure what 64P+G is, but maybe someone else knows the benefits of using it.

Anyway, trying to compare to a 2D character who can threaten you with unescapable throws just by standing 1/3 screen away from you is a pretty bad comparison.

FuryofFrog likes this.
  3. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Combolammas has the right idea of finding out times when to go for a throw.

[6][4][P][+][G] along with [4][6][P][+][G] are technically Aoi's most damaging high throws outside of the tougher-to-execute 270-degree ones. The former is a good option to score a possible ringout whenever Aoi is standing near the edge of an open ring. However, in most throw situations I prefer to use the latter, or a crouch throw ([2_][6][P][+][G] or [2_][4][P][+][G]) followed up with a near-guaranteed ground throw ([2]/[3][P][+][G]) over that one (although these are escapable), as these options actually net more damage plus allows you to set up good oki strategies. Same deal with [4][P][+][G] as far as being able to set up oki strategies after executing this throw.

The multilink throws are great to use as well, but most people know how to escape them frequently after the first part which results in causing only 25/30 points of damage. For that reason is why I favor using other throws, including the 270-degree ones. But as Combolammas mentioned before, if your opponent hasn't proven he can escape the second and third parts of Aoi's multilink throws consistently, then definitely go for them as often as you can.

Kruza

FuryofFrog and Lord_Hollow like this.
  4. MannyBiggz

MannyBiggz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    Keep in mind that Aoi gets a free ground throw attempt after one of her options in the 3 part multi throw. If your opponent doesn't know how to break any of this, go for this throw as your default throw every time. It can net you over 100 damage. If your opponent is wise to that stuff though you have to mix up the options or stick with the throws Kruza mentioned.

FuryofFrog likes this.
  5. FuryofFrog

FuryofFrog Member

PSN:
    FuryofFrog
    Thanks a bunch you guys. I'll try all these things out. If anyone else has any input I would love to hear it.

6. Don't forget your low throws. Recognize which moves give a guaranteed throw attempt and leave the opponent crouching. [2][K][+][G] type moves. Also pay attention to which moves you have that side turn the opponent or force crouch. IIRC [3][P] forces crouch on counter hit and might let you follow up with a low throw.

Also if you land a counter against anything but double handed moves or circular kicks I believe a ground throw attempt is guaranteed.

One more thing, don't discount the movement throws. [6][P][+][G]([4],[8],[2],[6]) Position helps, you can easily turn a bad round around with a ring out or wall combo. Also remember her wall throw, it hurts try to take advantage of it.

7. TRI Mike

TRI Mike Member

PSN:
    Abuelo_RPG
    XBL:
    TRI Mike
    I've personally found 64[P][+][G] and 46[P][+][G] as my best options since many people online know how to break the multipart ones and sometimes I don't get the timing right because I'm still new to the game. But against players who never block and just press P and K repeatedly I seem to have a hard time.

Also, what are oki strategies¿

8. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Okizime: http://virtuafighter.com/threads/options-after-knockdown.16164/