1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

When is tournament coming to NY

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Garian, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Garian

Garian Active Member

I want a NY tournament so bad I can taste it, unfortunately I wouldn't do to well. I suck with arcade controllers. I will practice and conquer soon enough though.

2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Please use the search button. Eventually, you'll find stuff like this.

3. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

You might want to talk to a guy named Adam Yuki, I think he's fond of BIG tournies in NY. later.

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I think hell would freeze over before a tournament was organized in NY. You may have to wait for a gathering to be held...maybe sometime this fall? If you want to compete in tournaments, then I suggest you travel a bit. There was a recent tournament in Rochester - not far from NYC - just this past weekend. Not a soul came from NYC.

cheers,

5. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Tournaments are to NYC as

A. Water is to Oil
    B. Rain is to Desert
    C. Sin is to God
    D. All of the above

6. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

An NYC tourney..I'd definetly figure something out to come and participate for a weekend. As long as its Evo.

As far as East Coast scene is concerned, NYC is probably the most centralised place to gather ( T.O., Mtl, Boston, Florida, etc. ). It aint my backyard but its definetly feasable. Having 20 to 30 experienced new opps. would make my game grow exponentially. Not to mention actual empirical data concerning "regional"/individual styles, most efficient techniques, "new" strats and overall ranking of East Coast NAVF. I look forward to having some reference point as to "who's good", "what works", etc. in order to indentify what points I need to improve on and what I can bring to the table.

I often feel like there's a general "fear" of tournament play as you eventually end up with a label ( i.e. 16th place ) and there's so few competitions going around that you have little opportunity of "shaking off" that tag. In Japan they have multiple occasions where the players can redeem themselves but here, you usually only get one shot. If a tournament does happen it would be interesting to span it over two days in order to hold 2 competitions. Although idealistic it would allow ppl to get comfortable and have something to look forward to even if they did not perform well on the first try. I think this sort of flexibility is a good way to help expand and root interest in the game.

Take two puffs and pass it...it will not hurt you..

7. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Actually, NYC is about five hours by car from Rochester... Not too much more than you guys traveled, but I wouldn't say it's "not far" from NYC... I was a little dissapointed no NYC crew showed up, but I wasn't really expecting them too...

-Alex

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There was a recent tournament in Rochester - not far from NYC - just this past weekend. Not a soul came

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

you know what, you are right! nyc doesnt give a fuck about tournaments, its boooring (imo there) what we do like is to play, and play lots, sorry that some of the nyc players cant make it to tournaments but i think it has to do with maximum play time, traveling just for a couple of hours and then its over?? not worth it in my opinion. i think the only way most of us would go ( IMO!!!) is if somehow it was a HUGE sega sponsored tournament with all the bells and stuff, now THAT i dont think anyone would miss it and we would be there jut for the novelty and coolness of it, na mean? also, nyc just doesnt feel that it can play competitevly (fuck spelling :p) in EVO, for now... we play version C and a bit of evo. times have changed and if theres a home version coming soon virtually "perfect" (dont start arguing about that point now /versus/images/icons/mad.gif) we prefer to wait and save some damm cash......why not!!?? do we help the arcade scene to die? damm right we are. but they gave us the choice, a very nice juicy home version. i would frequent the arcades tho to play some new folks and shit but i rather practice for free (home version!!) /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

btw, theres a reason why its called NYG, cause its a ==gathering==
    what we need more is playtime, not tourneys (imo)

have fun talking behind our backs in irc :p

9. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago the reasoning for NYC not going to Dallas was work obligations & not enough money. Now it's because the jump to evo is too daunting. PLEASE. I'm sure lots of those going to TIT log more time on vf4c at home than on the evo that may or may not be at their (not so) local arcade in a different manifestation even (evoa vs evob) than the one at the tourney. They aren't WHINING about not feeling competitive in the game. I'm not anyway. I understand if you guys FEAR LOSING and do your best to avoid this by holding "gatherings", delegitimizing the results of any tourneys therein & then shun other opportunities to face new challengers in unfamiliar territory because it may sully your carefully crafted reputations. And seriously, do you really think on the weekend of March 21,22 & 23 you'll be getting LESS play time in if you go to Dallas (I understand that this isn't exactly on topic, but...)? My crew, we love to play lots and lots too...and I'm confident we'll be playing a SHITLOAD MORE than we already do throughout the weekend in question. I'm sure everyone will. But if the NYC attitude is to [2][P]>backdash (had to steal it, Myke) EVERYTHING...ie dis the tournament & back down, then so be it. Just rest assured that a scrub nobody knows has CALLED YOU OUT.

PS Understand I mean no disrespect & my crew will happily treat your crew to dinner if you take the time and make the effort to come. Shit, I might even cook. DEAL?

10. Sudden_Death

what
    was
    that?
    anyway, i stick to what i said. thats the way it is, sorry /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. sanjuroAKIRA

Misplaced attempt to goad, cajole & bribe you guys down to Texas (I'm a mean fucking cook, btw). WAYYYY off topic so, I'm sorry...I just don't want FLA & LA to be the only groups driving/flying home wondering what the fuck just happened.

12. Llanfair

Heh. A lot of what I would say was in my reply in the Junky's thread...

Sanjuro, great post, btw.

Pic, it's a real shame you feel this way. The rest of the continent feels the opposite.

cheers,

13. hiro

hiro Well-Known Member

Ha ha. You don't understand. We don't really care to go out just for VF. Everyone is busy with their lives. Also, it is not worth spending time and money for VF in US. If it is to see friends such as Shota in Chicago, it is a different story. (Even in that case, I doubt Andy and Sal will go...) Even for friends, it is the case, and why would we travel all the way just to play with strangers? Also, we've been a bit tired of people bragging a lot. But, no one was ever as good as he had claimed. (Of course, playing with a few people all the time, no one should expect to be the best.) Maybe, it is a typical on-line attitude, since you don't have to be responsible for what you write here.
    Friends in NY don't communicate with VFDC. We just call each other. Ahh, maybe, another reason for us not to go to some other place together to play VF is because we don't plan things much in NY. Just run into each other, and it is spontaneous.
    I suppose it is a good thing to keep some kind of community if one wants, but it is not right to force others to do the same thing. Or criticize (complain) for not doing the samething you guys do. Somehow some of you misunderstand as if there had been some agreement about how VF community is run. But, there was nothing like that. We do what we want to do, and you do what you want to do. If that's the way you act, there is even less reason for getting together. Also, if you want to talk about VF, go to Japan and keep the winning rate about 80 %. Then, what you say may mean something, but at this point, it is just another bragging(Well there was tournament in CA when Ice-9 participated right? And, do you know how well he can do in Japan?) , and we are not interested in people like that. (Think about it. Would you be interested in becoming friends with someone who trash talk so much?)
    Anyway, enjoy what you do.

14. sanjuroAKIRA

First off, thanks for the help with Akira.

Check it out, I only want to raise the level of my game & have fun playing. This is the central motivation for my bullshit trash talk as 1)it gives me and my crew incentive not to embarass ourselves & 2)in the unlikely event that it helps goad NY into making the trip to Dallas, I and everyone else similarly motivated will have access to something like the STIFFEST COMPETITION AVAILABLE ON THE CONTINENT between all the groups making the trip. I know, why should you guys interrupt your lives to go & pound a bunch of backwoods scrubs? I can offer no convincing reason. The only thing I can do is call you guys pussies & hope it works. Looks like it didn't, so please understand it wasn't my wish to offend. Hopefully all the other bullshit that's flying around will clear & y'all will be kind enough to host a fun and successful NYG4.

Happy Valentine's Day.

15. Llanfair

Even for friends, it is the case, and why would we travel all the way just to play with strangers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever considered that by travelling a little to play VF with strangers that you help to create a larger VF community in NA? These strangers would suddenly become less strangers and perhaps even friends. That's how the whole VF community started in the first place.

I suppose it is a good thing to keep some kind of community if one wants, but it is not right to force others to do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is forcing anyone. We only see NYC having such *potential* for creating an improved VF scene. And I think it's a shame for not realizing this. You're right, you do what you do, and we'll keep doing what we do. But everytime I encounter Adam online or even my conversations with people at NYG3, everyone *says* that they love the competition and that they want to help create a bigger community and organize more events, etc, because they're fun. But it's all talk. The idea fizzles so fast. That's why I think it's a shame. So much drive initially with little to no follow through.

Also, if you want to talk about VF, go to Japan and keep the winning rate about 80 %.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said this before and I think it's important to say again. It's not about how good Japan is. It's not about comparing our scene to theirs. It's about creating a scene, however skilled it is, *here* in North America. The focus should be on fostering a competitive VF community here in NA. Not one where we constantly knock ourselves down for not being as good as Japan.

Think about it. Would you be interested in becoming friends with someone who trash talk so much?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a remarkably ironic question in light of the recent Andy incident, don't you think?

cheers,

16. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I would have gone to Rochester.

If I had a way to get there./versus/images/icons/crazy.gif
    No wheels. Not even a drivers liscense. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    And I'm pretty sure no one from NYC has a car. Well, maybe Adam but he has a very busy work schedule and couldnt go anywhere anyway. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Just for a FLA vs NYC update. NYC has challenged FLA recently by not asking but announcing that they will be coming to FLA between feb. 21-23 to decide who is the best at Ver C? What makes them think that we are the best? Why not Colorado, STL, TO, or even LA. Not to mention the current installment of VF is Evolution. This makes NO SENSE! TiT is around the corner and alot more ppl will be in Texas at TiT rather than in FLA on a random weekend. Why NYC wanted to come? I dont have a fucking clue. Maybe to secretly test the waters and see if they can beat us without any humiliation in Texas? Or, Maybe they have a bunch of friends in Florida. But as for me at this point NYC is building a reputation of being abnormal in not liking or wanting to participate in tournaments that could potentially help the VF scene dramatically. IMO completely NYC should STFU and work on trying to get ppl to like them so they will cater to their obscure challenges and means of competition.

Hiro: Whistle me a good song next time we play /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif J/K

18. sanjuroAKIRA

[ QUOTE ]
    or even LA

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuck. Now I gotta order another case of toothpicks for Big Boy. Thanks alot.

Seriously though, y'all should look forward to this (aren't you?). Mend some fences. Have fun playing a game you love versus quality opposition you don't face every day. I mean, it wasn't so long ago you and the crew were dying for good players to come down, school you & help raise your level of play. The state of NAVF & the "scene" aside, accept this visit with the same open arms you would have last spring & have a great time. Sorry to preach like this. Hope everyone enjoys themselves.

19. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I just don't understand your logic.

You don't play EVO because you can't be competitive. But you don't go to tourneys, a highly competitive environment where every match is scrutinized -- you prefer gatherings, a decidedly non-competitive environment because most people just mess around.

I also don't understand why you still play verC a lot and EVO a little. If you want to become competitive in EVO why don't you play EVO a lot? If none of you are competitive then it will be a level playing field.

kbcat -- I think this notion of being "competitive" is nonsense. Just as everyone on this board likes to point out -- if you play people better than you you'll learn faster than if you don't.

I don't understand the NYC gang. If you don't give a rat’s ass about the VF community why are you even present on this forum, or on IRC? Go play amongst yourselves, and spare the rest of us the aggravation of dealing with you.

20. Sudden_Death

[ QUOTE ]
    kbcat said:
    I also don't understand why you still play verC a lot and EVO a little. If you want to become competitive in EVO why don't you play EVO a lot? If none of you are competitive then it will be a level playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about in regards to tournaments.
    and why we dont play evo more? cause we have the game at home and that is version C. as soon as we get evo in the home we'll play that. arcade is freaking far man /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    kbcat said:

I don't understand the NYC gang. If you don't give a rat’s ass about the VF community why are you even present on this forum, or on IRC? Go play amongst yourselves, and spare the rest of us the aggravation of dealing with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what, you make a lot of sence there. Im wondering as well why the hell we still read this board. I am thinking of saying fuck VFDC, I bet that by avoiding this place i can improve a lot more instead of wasting time reading about VF than actually playing (most of you are hehe). BUT, if this news would make a lot of people happy then heeeeell no i wont leave you guys /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .