1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

When you cannot win...

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by akai, Nov 13, 2021.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    [Shiwa's Cram School] When you cannot win...

Rough Draft - Posting as is since I lost the translation work I did twice! Only the 1st of the 15 sections is considered complete. The remaining 14 sections are still being edited and translated for better comprehension.

Are you having trouble winning matches? For those having trouble, this video by Shiwa is for you! It provides tips and helps the player identify areas one can improve on. I did a rough translation of the video with the times listed. So you can watch the video with the text side by side. Additional notes made by me are italicized. There is quite a bit of paraphrasing by me. If you notice an error in my translation or have a better translation than what I did, please share!

00:27 - Do you understand the advantage/disadvantage system?
    • 00:32 - Two situations within this game: 1) When you can move or act first, you are in a situation with “advantage” and …
      • Video: Pai is at an advantage when her [6][P] hits Akira. She can act 3 frames earlier than Akira.
    • 00:35 - … 2) when your opponent can move or act first, you are in a situation with "disadvantage".
      • Video: Pai is at a disadvantage when she blocked Akira [P] or get hit/counter hit by Akira [6][6][P].
    • 00:38 - First, let’s go over some situations where you have advantage.
    • 00:41 - In this situation, Pai successfully guards against Akira’s strike. So Pai has the advantage in this situation.
      • Video: In the still image [有利] means advantage and [不利] means disadvantage
    • 00:47 - If opponent executes a technique when you have the advantage, a striking attack by you will win.
      • Video: Red flash indicates counter hit, thus Akira attempted an attack when he was at a disadvantage against Pai's [6][P].
    • 00:51 - The same is true if you evaded (defensive move) the opponent’s attack.
    • 00:52 - In this situation, Pai successfully evaded Akira’s strike. So Pai has the advantage in this situation.
    • 00:59 - If opponent attempts to attack you after you had successfully evaded opponent's previous strike, a striking attack by you will win.
      • Extra: Notice that the successful evade puts Pai at Akira's side. Attacking at a person's side gives bonus properties to techniques. This is usually frame bonuses; however, in the video example, Pai's [6][P] gains stagger property against crouched opponent (Senchūken link).
    • 01:04 - In this situation, Pai takes a hit by from Akira's strike. So Pai has the disadvantage in this situation.
    • 01:09 - If you try to attack opponent when you are at a disadvantage, it is easy to lose against an opponent's striking attack. So take caution.
      • Extra: You take extra damage if you got counter hit (red flash) by opponent
    • 01:16 - In this situation, Pai's strike is successfully evaded by Akira. So Pai has the disadvantage in this situation.
    • 01:21 - If you try to attack opponent after your previous strike was successfully evaded, it is easy to take a hit by opponent's striking attack. So take caution.
      • Video: Pai attempted to attack Akira after her previous strike was evaded and gets a major side counter hit (purple flash) into a crumple by Akira's [3][K]. The second example, Pai gets hit by the same attack but only gets the side hit (Sokutai link)
    • 01:25 - In some situations, even if opponent successfully evaded your strike you may still have the advantage, but I will omit discussing it here.
      • Translation: I take into consideration the next section in Shiwa's video to come up with this translation, but I am not confident on how accurate it is.
      • Extra Note: The player at a large disadvantage that successfully evades the opposing player's standing [P] does not have advantage.
    • 01:33 - Here, Pai's strike misses the opponent, putting Pai in a situation with disadvantage.
    • 01:37 - You are at a large disadvantage if your technique misses the opponent. So try not to miss as much as possible!
      • Video: The first example, Pai attempted to attack after missing and Akira gets a major counter hit. The second example, Pai cannot even move or act before being launched into the air.
    • 01:44 - Be aware of the advantage/disadvantage system. When you have advantage, attack. When you have disadvantage, let's take defensive action as much as possible.
    • 01:48 - In addition, some strikes put you at advantage even when it is guarded by the opponent. So let's get familiar with those specific techniques.
      • Video: Pai has the advantage after her standing [P] and [4][6][K][+][G] was guarded by Akira. Thus, Pai's subsequent attack beats out the Akira's attempt to attack back.
    ---the translations below this section are still a work in progress---

01:58 - Do you know how to deal with follow up options from techniques?
    • 02:04 - Because I guarded the opponent's technique, I think I have the advantage! When I try to reach out...
      • Pai guards against Jacky's [6][P].
    • 02:09 - Many techniques are "derived techniques"
      • Translation: Derived techniques (hasei-waza) are what we usually refer to moves as within an attack string.
    • 02:13 - After guarding a technique with derivative techniques and you attempt an attack, you will eat the derivative technique.
    • 02:20 - Derivative techniques can go to combos at the counter, stealing downs and taking big turns.
    • 02:25 - Therefore, when your opponent wants damage it is easy for the opponent to choose to perform derivative techniques.
    • 02:32 - However, derivatives moves are risky if guarded, evaded, ducked, etc.
    • 02:38 - Don't forget to punish the opponent who uses the derivative technique because it is a chance of heavy damage.
    • 02:51 - Especially important when avoiding or guarding your opponent's moves
    • 02:53 - It is advantageous because you avoided the opponent's technique! Yet, when I tried to reach out...
    • 02:58 - Because of derivative techniques it is still dangerous to attack after successfully evading.
    • 03:02 - If you avoid a technique with a derivative technique, it is important to wait for the derivative technique before attacking.
    • 03:07 - Instantly decide whether to wait for a derivative move or attack with the intention of not issuing a derivative move.
    03:12 - Are you taking measures against opponent's character?
    • 03:18 - If you have not taken measures against characters or if you have a technique that you are not familiar with...
    • 03:24 - You may take extra damage and will be difficult to turn around
    • 03:38 - The more you know your opponent's skills and countermeasures, the less damage you will receive and the more points you can earn damage
    • 03:47 - Remember the other party's branches and countermeasures, as you can do it little by little.
    03:54 - Are you moving or acting at the fastest speed?
    • 03:56 - An important part of this game is the "fastest" attack, where you can attack immediately when you have an advantage.
    • 03:59 - By attacking at the fastest speed, you can choose in situations where the opponent's fuzzy is not possible.
    • 04:10 - If the circular technique is avoided and canceled, the opponent will not be protected by the system.
    • 04:19 - Therefore, it is important to attack firmly and at the fastest speed when it is advantageous
    • 04:24 - If you can't attack at the fastest speed, it's easy to eat the opponent's rampage.
    • 04:33 - Also, if you can't throw at the fastest speed, opponent can crouch the attempt
    • 04:40 - Avoid spinning techniques and cancel to dodge and weaken your attack.
    • 04:51 - That's why it's important to make a firm choice without hesitation.
    • 05:02 - However, when there is a slight advantage, the opponent can also fuzzy, so it does not take two choices.
    • 05:10 - In this situation, delay and attack to crush fuzzy and become ants
    • 05:14 - Of course, the other party may also go wild, so I read each other...
    05:20 - Do you know your options to crush your opponent that is on a rampage?
    • 05:24 - This game can be rampage at any time unless it is in a definite situation.
    • 05:32 - After throw escaped, technique guarded, getting hit, etc. there are places where you can rampage.
    • 05:41 - Let's firmly incorporate options that can crush the opponent's rampage.
    • 05:51 - Still, in that case, I want to be aware of which technique the opponent will rampage
    • 05:55 - In this case, the opponent is judged to be an opponent with a lot of [2][P] rampage, and he is conscious of reducing the upper row by attacking.
    • 06:02 - The correct answer is to attack with options that can beat [2][P], such as middle and special high when you have advantage.
    • 06:10 - Be aware that you are still properly adjusting your skills in the direction your opponent wants to escape.
    • 06:13 - In this case, the opponent often wants to avoid the wall to escape.
    • 06:16 - So this is best if you have the option to crush the avoidance in the foreground.
    • 06:19 - In this case, a half-turn attack is a fairly powerful option.
    • 06:30 - Half a turn coming out from the back will let the opponent escape, so it is difficult to function so much.
    • 06:34 - Rather, it's easy for me to carry a wall on my back, so don't aim at first.
    • 06:38 - Firmly as it gives you a chance of great damage that you can use to prevent it from escaping from the wall.
    06:46 - Is the timing of your actions off?
    • 06:52 - I can't move at the fast speed, so why not attack after making a mess?
    • 07:00 - The delayed attack is powerful because it gives the choice of human equality, but
    • 07:09 - Be aware that there is a risk of eating the opponent's rampage reducing it by half.
    • 07:22 - Of course, this game is so fast that it can be delayed
    • 07:27 - It is also important not to forcibly attack when the opponent is a violent type and the judgement is delayed.
    07:34 - Is there a bias to the throw distribution?
    • 07:39 - There are a constant number of people who always throw in the same direction under certain circumstances.
    • 07:54 - Be aware of your own throwing habits
    • 08:05 - Don't forget you have [neutral throw when you are in trouble.
    08:08 - Are you taking too much damage in the distance battle?
    • 08:13 - After guarding a particular move, after exiting a particular throw, etc.
    • 08:21 - It happens that the distance to the other party is large
    • 08:30 - At this time, a medium-range reading called "distance battle" occurs.
    • 08:34 - "Forward Dash" to close the distance to the opponent by waving a dash or technique
    • 08:40 - "Place" to intercept the opponent's approaching point by hitting a technique
    • 08:49 - There is a reading of "whiff confirmation" aiming at the rigidity of the missed swing.
    • 08:56 - The "front dash" of waving a dash or technique is vulnerable to "placement"
    • 09:05 - "Place" is vulnerable to "whiff confirmation" aiming for missed swing
    • 09:12 - "Whiff confirmation" is easy to take the initiative by attacking from "front dash"
    • 09:17 - Be aware that readings are occurring in these three elements (with exceptions)
    • 09:25 - If you don't know how to reach each other...
    • 09:26 - First, refrain from swinging too much or forcibly approaching to touch.
    • 09:30 - If you approach forcibly, you will hit the place and take extra damage.
    • 09:42 - Take your time and guard your opponent's position before attacking.
    09:52 - Are you fall recovering too much?
    • 09:57 - Fall recovery allows you to get up faster and uninterrupted
    • 10:02 - It also has the advantage of avoiding the combo of reading while sleeping
    • 10:13 - However, many of the offensive attacks in this game are very strong.
    • 10:20 - Some have looping properties, and some reduce half of your physical strength when hit...
    • 10:28 - If you fall recovery too much, you will have to take these attacks every time.
    • 10:40 - Sometimes choosing to stay asleep reduces extra damage.
    10:49 - Are you properly counterattacking for guarantee damage?
    • 10:52 - There is a lot of love when guarding the technique of floating the opponent and the start of the cooperation
    • 11:09 - Also, if you avoid a technique that can be used in a combo, there is a general confirmation.
    • 11:29 - At this time, it is important to be able to return a definite counterattack.
    • 11:42 - If you can't punish the other side by guarding the other side's skill, even though you've eaten the opponent's skill...
    • 11:51 - Because this damage source is reduced, it is easy to become poor
    • 11:59 - If it is difficult to return the confirmation, you can throw it first
    • 12:09 - However, be careful as you will eat the opponent's skill if you are a little late.
    • 12:18 - Best if you can return the maximum confirmation once you get used to it.
    12:26 - Can you see the options if received will lead to your loss?
    • 12:31 - Be aware of the situation where you lose if you take a specific option
    • 12:34 - Do you know what to do in this situation...?
    • 12:39 - Answer 1: If you eat [6] Throw, you will fall, so you throw escape [6] Throw
    • 12:45 - Answer 2: If you eat the mid strike, you will fall, so you do not crouch.
    • 12:52 - Answer 3: If your big move is evaded, you will fall with opponent's definite hit, so do not use a big move.
    • 13:03 - Therefore, it is a safe option to avoid forcibly attacking while allowing [6] throws
    • 13:14 - Gradually learn the opponent's attacking move and find the best move
    13:22 - Vice versa, can you see the options to defeat your opponent?
    • 13:27 - On the contrary, is the best option taken by looking at the position situation of the opponent's physical strength?
    • 13:34 - Question 1: How can Jacky defeat the opponent in this situation?
    • 13:38 - Answer 1: [4][6][P][+][G] to follow-up attacks
    • 13:45 - Answer 2: Mid Strike hit opponent into the wall to follow-up attacks
    • 13:53 - There are other things, but it's OK if you can always be aware of the options that can be defeated if you hit them for the time being
    • 14:07 - Question 2: How can Jacky defeat the opponent in this situation?
    • 14:11 - Answer 1: [4][6][P][+][G] ringout
    • 14:17 - Answer 2: Ringout by mid strike going down
    • 14:22 - Answer 3: Ringout by lower strike from the stance
    • 14:27 - In this way, the more options you have to defeat your opponent, the tighter your attack
    • 14:29 - Gradually strengthen your attack
    14:31 - Are you trying too hard to understand what the other person is doing?
    • 14:36 - It is important to match the skill with the opponent's behavior, but one-point reading is basically NG (not good)
    • 14:42 - I found out that this person tends to [2][P] a lot at disadvantage...
    • 14:47 - However, hitting Jump [K] at an advantage is a little too point-reading
    • 14:50 - It is also a bad idea to go down and hit a technique that can beat only [2][P] even though it is advantageous
    • 14:56 - Because there is an increased chance of getting a trick at the counter when choosing other than [2][P]
    • 15:06 - Then hit the knee that can fill the frame...it's still dangerous.
    • 15:11 - This is also because if [2][P] does not come, it will expose the "suki" whiff
    • 15:15 - If you think your opponent is going wild, you can hit the trick at the counter and go for a choice
    • 15:19 - Guarded and uncertain, hit at the counter and aim for delicious tricks
    • 15:25 - If it is a high strike or a slow move, you will lose to [2][P], so it is recommended a move as fast as possible
    • 15:31 - For some reason, it's easy to lose by reading and sly
    • 15:38 - If you start attacking with small tricks, it will be easier to continue the attack while taking damage safely!
    15:47 - Don't get angry every time at people's playstyle
    • 15:52 - "This guy is this but hey!" and "Why do you do it here!", etc.
    • 15:59 - It's no good because it's imposing your own rules
    • 16:02 - The range of attack is different for each person. What I think is bad.
    • 16:15 - When rank and promotion battles are involved, the opponent may become nervous and move strangely
    • 16:22 - Moreover, it is also difficult that strange movements are often unexpectedly easy to hit
    • 16:30 - Actually, the other party may be in a lot of trouble, so consider that.
    • 16:39 - The secret is to be calm and deal with it.
    • 16:50 - However, there are quite a few people who instigate between rounds and during matches.
    • 16:54 - It's a helpless person, so you don't have to ignore it and fight in a row.
    • 17:04 - It may be regrettable, but there is nothing to gain from a series of battles.
    17:08 - If you still cannot win...
    • 17:10 - Let's take a rest and drink alcohol on such a day
      • Extra: Do something else if you are not of legal age! :p
    • 17:14 - There are days when everything goes wrong. Let's get stronger slowly without worrying.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    40i4, SuntoryMalt, OvertPan and 11 others like this.
  2. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

WOW!, WOW!, WOW!

3. Lord_Hollow

Lord_Hollow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    Beautiful...

4. WolfKing

WolfKing Well-Known Member

PSN:
    HotRod666
    Wow this is fantastic!

5. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Nice. Crazy you posted this because I happened to stumble across some of these videos a few days ago.

Also, you translated all of that!? If so, thank you.

6. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yeah...I have a tendency of jumping before looking. May take a while to get this completely polished.

Tha_FeauchA and Lord_Hollow like this.
  7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

this is great thanks

8. OvertPan

OvertPan Member

Highlighted in bold. I do that more than enough, which has nothing to do with losing a session sometimes. Thanks for the laugh, though. XD

9. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Lord Hollow's subtitle version of When you cannot win...

You don't have to pause video and read my translation to understand the main gist of the video now! But be aware, the names of VF players in his version are definitely not part of the original Japanese text! :)

VFnumbers, Chanchai and Lord_Hollow like this.
  10. Lord_Hollow

Lord_Hollow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    Yeah, I decided to have a little fun with it, for the folks that are a part of the VF community.