1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Where can I find a VF Lexicon

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Harlock, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Harlock

Harlock Member

I have seached both on google, this site. I cannot find a VF lexicon that defines the terms in the VF series. I am a experienced Tekken player, but moving over to VF has been a bit of a shock, as VF seems to have it's own lexicon. I am interested in investing a large amount of time to VF, and a lexicon would be a BIG help to me.

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

right on this site

click vf4 on home page
    read the FAQ (system faq i think)
    anyway...
    it's all here

3. Harlock

Harlock Member

I did search the documentation but I couldn't find the lexicon. I must be blind.

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

u're telling me u didn't see the abbreviation guide?

5. Harlock

Harlock Member

Yes, I did look at the abbreviation guide, but it was not what I was looking for. I'm looking for a sort of dictionary for VF terms. Coming from Tekken, I am not familiar with the "Korean Step", "sabaki", ect.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Korean stepping is a bunch of crouch dashes, dodges, forward and backward dashes continuously canceled and buffered into one another. A term invented for Akira Kid's style of stepping in VF3. Korean stepping doesn't really exist in VF4 the same way it does VF3, however.

As for sabaki, you should check out the sabaki chart, which would explain the concept better than a lexicon could.

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

FWIW, korean stepping is no longer possible in VF4...exclusive only to VF3 (like anyone is gonna play it apart from old timers like me n others on the board)

There is a Sabaki faq.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

aggh, nobody will correctly answer this poor guy's question!

Let me give it a shot.
    There is an abbreviation guide, which helps some, but there's no lexicon yet. Which is kinda sad, you'd think there's be at least an old one from VF2/3. Nobody wants to tackle writing one because it's a huge effort.

There is an incredibly old, out of date one, with terms nobody uses anymore (and a few that people still use) at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/vfjar1.htm>http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/vfjar1.htm</a>.

If you make a list of anything that can't be found out via search, post a question on Q&A and someone will be glad to help (or someone will flame you. Ha! just kidding.)

9. Harlock

Harlock Member

Thanks CreeD, glad someone understood what I was asking *L*.