1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Device is best

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by vf3tb, Feb 2, 2001.

1. vf3tb

vf3tb Member

Which Device is best

"Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle DC Version" can perfectly work with a common VGA box(about 15 dollars),but there is still one thing puzzling me that which output device is the best choice for me.I must at first declare that my wallet is not thick.
    a 29-inch 100Hz TV-set or an ordinary 19-inch PC monitor?
    I can only afford 1000 dollars to choose one.
    Who can help me -- I just cant bear the rough video output on my old 60Hz TV-set which is directly connected to my DC with only AV-In.
    I bought DC only to play vf3tb--I must make it to show the best performance !

Mail me to improve my poor English please

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Re: Which Device is best

The game itself looks great (and its best) when played through a VGA box, but there's an issue regarding character/stage portraits (very low-res and very limited color pallete on them, it makes me cringe when viewing through the monitor) - however, that's a very minor quibble. In-game, edge definition, colour fidelity, it's all improved when you run the signal direct to VGA, and you can really see the beauty of it all. Of course, the arcade/DC conversion shortcomings are also all the more evident, such as the gruesome Genny-like dithering on those already ugly background bitmaps (esp. TB Island - ouch).

Playing on a big-screen TV through S-Video is also a good solution (the cable is also very cheap), and miles beyond composite video (standard AV) - S-Video separates the luminance and chroma intensity channels, so you have more edge definition and less color bleeding, but still nowhere near straight-to-monitor quality. Conversely, the conversion shortcomings I mentioned before aren't as blatantly obvious (or painful) when viewed through a TV.

In the end, it all amounts to what you consider to be a priority. I do most of my playing through a 29-inch Sony using S-Video, and it's fine - especially because I can allow myself some space, run the sound through the stereo without having to juggle things around, etc; but occasionally I run the DC through VGA for a superb visual experience; it's just that my VGA monitor is only a 17-inch, and while I have set up a sort of bench to rest my sticks on in front of it, the space is still a bit crummed for two people.

So, in my opinion, on a purely technical level, and if you have no other concerns (space, etc.), the crispness and fidelity of a VGA signal can't be beat, and in my opinion VF for DC looks all the better for it (given that you can disregard the fact that the aforementioned character/stage portraits look even more absolutely ghastly when you step up the output resolution - minor, minor detail, though :)

hope I wasn't too obtuse;

cheers,
    M.

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Another thing to show off the DC version well - and something that's as cheap as it gets - is getting yourself an old RCA/RGB monitor. I picked up an old Magnavox RCA/RGb monitor for 25 bucks Canadian ($0.10 USD) and it looks fantastic. These were the kinds of monitors that people used to use for Commodore 64s, etc. If you're not concerned about size, this is the way to go, imo.

Even Senor Bungle himself was impressed at how good it looked. Eh, Rich?

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Finally! Someone admits the bad with the good with outputting VF3tb on VGA! I thought I was the only one to notice the portraits, etc.... Not to mention Jacky's hair overall in VGA... However, some things do look much better.

Llanfair, ah yes, the power of the Commodore 64 monitors. These ancient babies output games so much better overall that it baffles me. I'm curious how long it's going to be before all of these die out! However, it would be sad to see that happen (I'm sure the loyal fanbase would come up with solutions and maybe even repairing solutions)...

As much as I'd like to see what the game (or many other games) look like on a Vega (Wega for those unfamiliar), I'm sure that in general, the 64 monitors are tops for consoles.

-Chanchai

5. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

I sometimes used an old Magnavox from the Amiga 500 days (not on DC, though, that was years ago) as an experiment, and it was definitely better than the average TV tube :)

However, the most recent Sony tubes really are miles ahead of just about any other tv tube today, and hold the best possible image (through s-video or better yet, component) short of straight VGA, at least in my opinion. I recently got a hold of a 29" wega (having in the past owned a plain-vanilla trinitron - a good tube in its own right), and it's really stunning. I was lucky and got an off-the-store-display unit, so it was much cheaper than usual, but still it's much less cost-effective than buying an used RGB/RCA monitor for less than $30.

Anyway, for an off-topic question, did anyone else play Amiga all those years ago? I suppose it never did well in the US, but in Europe and Brazil it did reasonably good. Same thing for the MSX computer...

cheers,
    M.

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Amiga...ahh..the true home computer pioneer....<goes into nestalgic bliss about my amiga 2000, 500, 300...)

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ever get close to one of those things...ohh I remember the static electricity from the monitor..

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

i did think it was pretty nifty..however, like so many other things in life, size does matter. it's just too small.