1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

which is the better mode?

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Mr. Bungle, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

if I'm using Jackyx3

<hr></blockquote>

There are times when I truly wish the game was programmed so that you could NOT choose a character more than once within a team.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

2. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

What I find partial life recovery encourages is
    fast paced, intense fights. The quicker you
    kill your opponent the more health you get
    back.

I guess this is where your and my preferences differ. I for one don't think twice about winning by RO or Timeout. In fact, I would rather try to win by either of the two methods because it gives me the joy of watching other's irritated face (of course...i only do this to some strangers in Japan, NOT to most of the people on this board).

At some point, my whole purpose of playing VF became: get drunk with a bunch of my friends, hunt those not-so-competitive-businessmen, and have a huge brawl. This actually improved my gameplay a lot, because in order to really make a laughing stock of others, I have to learn the ins and outs of the game, much like a "Poison" player-type described in the VF3TB mook.

But, yes, I know I'm twisted.

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

i didn't ask which game, i asked which mode. there's no TB in VF3ob, so..

>Next I prefer single-mode to team battle-mode because I don't believe there are too many people out there who can use 3 characters at the competitive level.

you believe it, but you don't know it (do you?). so why not try it and find out?

and as i have repeatedly try to point out, you can pick whoever you want for however many slots there are - and there is no rule about TB mode having three match points written in stone.

> Besides I feel it's rude to give my half-assed characters to someone looking for a serious competition.

uh, so then don't pick a "half assed character" of yours (fecking DUH).

> Besides if I'm using Jackyx3, the other is probably better off using the same character all the way.

how so? even if the other player who has multiple characters has to change gears, how is that a bad thing?
    it's more exciting and rewards those who play better! and some people might LEARN something! the shock!

> It's basically a handicap system that makes the weaker easier to catch up

bullshit. again, it rewards those who play -better-. it encourages aggressive, thinking players.

fuck it. nyg3 i'm just going to pick kage, pick wolf's stage whenever i can, take some life off and back away/back turned shinso ALL of my rounds. or just stand there waiting. the japanese do it, so it's COOL!!! i'll be -in the with the japanese-, following a scene in japan that i will never see or know EVER, like a good little sheep! woohoo!

4. Mr. Bungle

did he say anything, did he even imply in that post anything about disliking RO and TO as a valid way of winning?

i didn't see it anywhere...

and if you don't believe anyone can play competitively with three characters, then you should have no trouble beating anyone whichever way you want, i guess.

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Rich,

I gotta say Shota's got a point on this one, with regard to people's ability to play competitively with three characters.

I can't think of anyone I know who can play competitively with three characters. That includes you and Joji.

You already know you play competitively with Kage. But I think you would also agree that you only fool around with the other characters. As for Joji, it's harder to say, as he doesn't play competitively with any one given character, but he plays so many of them so damn well.

Of course all of this begs the question of how one defines playing competitively, but I suspect my definition is not too far from how Shota sees it.

-Jason

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    (Rich, if I may...)

Jason, the point isn't valid since TB doesn't force you to choose different characters. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

7. Mr. Bungle

what the fuck, jason...
    my wolf? pai? jeffry? taka?
    when was the last time you even played me in tb? six or so months ago on "joysticks" that were falling apart..
    and joji..he played tb with us ONE TIME, one time ONLY, after not touching VF for only god knows how long. and still kicked both our asses. he was competitive that one time, i would say.
    _i_ sure would like to know what YOUR definition of "playing competitively" is, because you really don't have much to go on to judge either of us, not recently at least. and, if winning isn't part of it, then, jeez man..

8. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Myke,

It's also about your opponent's selection of characters, not just what character(s) you choose.

-Jason

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It's also about your opponent's selection of characters, not just what character(s) you choose.

Sorry Jase but I'm lost. Have we strayed off topic? I was just saying, in stating a preference for OB or TB, that you couldn't use the excuse of not being able to use more than one character (competitively, or at any level) because TB doesn't force that on you.

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

well bud ...
    nothing worst than being able to play two characters on a competitive level n be just missing out on the third one./images/icons/smile.gif (that's in my case anyway)

So now, I am hard at work, learning a new third character.

Btw, I prefer TB nowadays. More exciting.
    No, I don't lose focus when it's loading. In fact it's good cause it gives me time to think/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'PSO '

11. Mr. Bungle

jason...
    this is such a crock of shit. you have so little time playing tb with myself and others. as i said before, joji only played against us one single time, for a couple of hours - the rest of your experience with him is with VF3ob. this is just no way to fairly judge joji's tb potential.
    you haven't played against me in tb in six months, and you have not played against, much less even seen me play hard, serious, aggressive play overall against people since probably 1999, NYG1 - which was ob mode dctb. it just adds up to such a pathetic amount of backing for such statements..

i might be rightfully accused of sometimes living in the VF past, bashing the "new" people and reminiscing about the good ol days of vf2 in canada and long road trips with yupa, but at least i can review things with my head on straight...

12. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    More than one character and OB/TB Strategy...

Hmm I gotta refute this one...we can all play more than one character on a serious competition level. Adam has taken to playing Jeff, Aoi, Taka, and some sarah next to his Akira. His Jeff and Aoi can give some serious competition. Not to mention he also has a solid kage capable of doing every combo in the book. I can play Jeff and Jacky next to my pai now too. Hiro can play Wolf and Lau next to his Kage and has a decent showing with all the characters in general. Sal also can play almost all the characters next to his Kage. So plenty of us can play more than one person. It's just that we rather concentrate on what we did wrong the first round and continue the match with the same characters the second round, thats the point of us playing OB, plus we think it helps us concentrate more. TB mode is great, but it involves a different strategy, Right down to picking the characters, and the order they are in.

CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Don't mind me asking Bud...
    But what do u mean by being able to get away with a lucky in OB n not in TB

I do agree with one BIG point.

Comback in TB is wayyyyy better...and tougher than in OB.
    One time, with my health point on 40(estimation), down on my last character, I reversed a low punch on an opponent(full health)and went on to win the next three rounds.

This took place just a few dayz ago, so Doomboy, if u're reading this, I'm not referring to our match.

Way better than any lighting kick or kickflip victories!/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Legacy'

14. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

jeez...this thread getting a lot of replies. cool.

Believe me, Sta783 (that still seems weird, its like
    I'm in a startrek episode)...I try to win however I
    can. R.O's and T.O's are fine with me. I have no
    personal code of ethics that will stop me from
    utilizing a way of winning (short of exploiting a
    gameplay bug). I wasn't talking about my preferences
    within the game just that I felt because of variable
    life recovery games tend towards the more aggressive
    side in TB.

GE

15. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Playing competitively

so lets get a definition.

Jason, how do you define competitive play?
    Shota, same question.

actaully, I'd be interested in most peoples
    definitions to see how they vary or not.

GE

16. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hey so have you met anyone in Singapore yet? or are you just killing poor Shun in a different continent?

"SummErs ride the legacy" what's that all about?,hey bring me back a pencil sharpener if you go to Santosa Island :),you know what I hated last time I went there? at KFC there is no regular chicken and hot and spicy as an option for people who like it,It's JUST hot and spicy grrr,oh and once I was gonna buy a game but decided to go somewhere else after testing it for five minutes and the shop keeper DEMANDED that I buy it!! and no I didn't

17. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Your posts always put a smile on my face! I agree whole-heartedly. Why play OB at all? Three rounds of the same character, how boring. You just wind up using the same strategies over and over. It's always TB for me!

cheers,
    kbcat -- Bungle... the data conversion is done... working on a new site look and feel. Do you have character images? One for each version of the game maybe?

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hehehe....

First to Doomboy.... It's funny how all over the Pacific Rim, "Hot and Spicy" is like the standard KFC option, whereas it's nowhere to be found in the US. For crying out loud, I've had that in Thailand 10 years ago... Hmmm...

Anyways...

I thought R.O's and T.O's typically are more beneficial to the victor in TB. Well, at least R.O's. But it really depends on where, when, and how much life.... But typically, I thought a Ring Out or Time Out victory might end up leaning towards having a bit more health than going the whole nine yards of life depletion in the long run.

This whole argument probably also goes along with, "how you guage yourself" but moreso "your philosophy on mastery and confidence in performing your absolute best with a single or set of characters." For this, those that feel they must master one and only one character are likely to play OB. Or at least they KNOW that as good as they may be with multiple characters, truly only one of them is "most competitive" and they'll stick with that. Something like that anyways. For me though, TB is really intense, a way to keep the matches lively, a greater form of victory that is more towards the greater power, and a way to flaunt a good handle of more than one character. Heck, the strategies behind "where should I put my best character" are interesting... Do you want to wear your opponent out from the first round with him/her and then clean up shop with a novelty win? Do you want to build towards it and save your best for last? Do you want to stick your best in the middle to apply pressure where it counts? And that's only the top layer of strategy in the game. It goes beyond that taking into account the likely strategy or abilities of your opponent and yourself in matching the teams, how the teams are used, etc...

Just my thoughts...

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Rich! I'm ashamed of you!! We're both Kage players, you should know why. =)

Seriously though, it's easier to make a comeback in OB because your life bar is always full every round. So it's always a full bar versus a full bar, whether you're down 2 rounds or up 2 rounds.

In TB, however, your life bar gets whittled down gradually; really, the best that you can do is to get half your life back. When you only have a pixel left and you're up against multiple characters it's naturally harder to come back.

ice-9

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh wait...Shota, thanks for pointing it out.

Through out this thread, I've always assumed it was a debate about single vs multiple character modes, and not the differences between Original Battle and Team Battle.

I obviously prefer Team Battle as it is far more balanced. Within TB however, I still prefer single mode for intense matches against good competition and team mode for general play.

If I have a beef with someone, or if I want to measure my ability against that person, I would play single mode. But if its gatherings or just hanging out at the arcade I would probably prefer to play team mode.

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 2/7/01 12:50 PM.</FONT></P>